Notices

Having authentic frienships is scary

Old 02-26-2017, 02:54 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Because women treat other women differently than they treat men, even if it's subconsciously.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:02 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paulokes View Post
Very much so. Learning to see how we use our sexuality in all situations is a little eye opening Much more than what we did, who we did it with and wether we were hanging from a tree
Paul lol!! I am so grateful for the 4th step I did. It isn't just "sex" it was interpersonal relationships--how I think and behaved around the opposite sex.

For example, I had no idea that when I'd strike up a conversation with a man at a party, that his wife might be jealous or uncomfortable. My intentions were to just have a normal chit-chat with a drama-free man. But I learned in my 5th step to think of OTHERS and really see how my actions might appear to others. Just because I think one way, that a conversation is harmless or something, doesn't mean others feel the same way.

Here's a thing I learnt...despite being a heterosexual male, I have been known to flirt in friendships with male friends who see themselves as homosexual. Motives weren't sexual for me, but motives there still were! Surprised the hell out of me, never realised it before and didn't even notice I was doing it...Until I became aware.
Oh wow Paul thank you for sharing this. I kind of have a similar story. I used to love to give and get hugs, I guess because they made me feel loved and they were a way I could show my appreciation for a friend. Kinda childish thinking about it now, though. I know it's because I had a very abusive, cold, non-nurturing mother. Anyways, I've had female acquaintances ask me if I was gay or bi-sexual. I'm heterosexual and didn't understand why they'd think that. But now I am much more careful about the hug thing. It's happening naturally, actually, as part of my recovery. I no longer seek hugs as a form of seeking acceptance from other people.

Sexuality can be a source of power...and the temptation is always to use power, even in the littlest, seemingly inconsequential ways
I wonder how many of us were self-seeking with our sexuality without even being aware of it.

Yet another reason to be grateful of this thing called recovery.