Notices

Worst hangovers

Old 01-17-2017, 11:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Worst hangovers

What was or were your worst hangovers. I know I've posted before on this topic but it keeps the hell alive if I ever feel I want to journey back there again. My hangovers were epic, towards the end I truly felt they were like nervous breakdowns. I thought if I carry on like this I'm going to have a stroke. One of my worst drunks I was violently sick in the cab home; don't remember getting into the house, let alone sort my precious dogs out. I was sick all down my beautiful mink coat, my Louis handbag (classy bird!) sick in my hair! Yuk, then rushed upstairs sick in toilet. This is the worst bit: rolled straight into bed!!! Fully clothed, still feeling violently ill rolled over and puked on the floor, on the bed!!!! I woke up the next morning- it was still dark - put some pyjamas on, tied the hair up then went back to bed.
The next day I literally couldn't move. I couldn't eat, could barely drink water, thought I was going to die. It took me virtually the rest of the week to recover. I've never touched a drink since. The insanity is why??? It wasn't as if it was some amazing party night or celebration it was just another Friday night down the pub and I don't even remember half of it!!!
Old 01-18-2017, 12:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My worst hangover lasted 3 days.. I was at a work xmas function & I drunk wine all night for like 12 hours & lots of red wine.. I actually had an awesome time & lots of videos to prove it but I was vomiting with a migraine for 2 days after...
Isnt it strange how we swear we will never drink again & then pick up a drink as soon as we feel better, thst AV is an A hole..
Old 01-18-2017, 01:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Pounding heart
Heart palpitations
Stabbing headache
Diarrhea
Acid reflux
Drink 4 liters of water before urinating
Too tired to move
Too agitated to sit still
Depression
Regret
Shame
Remorse
Regret
Shaky hands
Unable to sleep
Unbearable to stay awake
Wondering how much longer I could do this to myself and not die
Pains in the liver area
Bloodshot watery eyes
Texts from friends asking "what are you up to today?"
Answering like you're not sick as a dog and having a normal day
Fast food binge
Go through mcdonalds drive thru in pajamas
See people exercising, working, walking dogs, riding bicycles
Think "Wow. They aren't hungover. They aren't alcoholics."
Can't remember the last day you weren't hungover
Husband works weekends
Start cleaning up hangover evidence at 4:50. (blankets off couch)
Shower and dress at 4:56pm
He gets home at 5
Meet him at the door
Pretend you're feeling fine
Lie about what you did that day.
Drink again that night

Number one reason I quit? Hangovers.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've had so many it's hard to pick which one was the worse. But one things for sure, the last two years I've had many more accidents than in my earlier days of drinking. I've been very lucky not to kill myself, as a few of them have been hard knocks to my head.

One particular weeknight, I wiped myself out on vodka. Do not remember the night or even going to bed.

Woke up the next morning feeling like death warmer over. My head felt so foggy and confused.

I do not know how I managed to get myself dressed for work, but I did. I kept thinking that like the other times, I would eventually start to feel less sick.

The fog didn't lift, I would have been so over the limit driving to work, very lucky I didn't get pulled over.

I could barely talk to anyone at work, my head hurt so bad. I will never forgot how gravely ill I felt and how hard it was just trying to act as normal as possible, yet I was so ill.

Later on that day I touched the back of my hair for some reason, and I felt this hard crusty stuff in my hair. So I investigated more, and then after touching my scalp I could feel something wet. Looked at my hand and it was blood.

I had a big gash in the back of my head. I have no idea what happened. I obviously fell over and hit my head quite badly and somehow even managed to put myself to bed in my black out. Thank god I survived.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I guess the morning I woke up with my forehead bandged after falling down the train station steps and getting taking to the hospital is up there.

Another time woke up with the shakes and another I felt so sick I seem to turn a shade of green.

All I really remember is by the time I was pushing 30 years old it was quite difficult bouncing back the next day.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Worst? How to pick?

Personally, I do not "keep" specific memories alive. My ESH has the E in a compartment that solidly holds the awful; my H is where I live.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I went on a massive 24/7 bender for about 3 days where I put down a 30 pack and a 1.75 bottle of vodka. I'm pretty sure I had DT's, was sweating like crazy, but freezing, puking non stop (couldn't even keep water down) was scratching myself to the point of bleeding as I thought I had bugs crawling under my skin. Was trying to sleep under the sofa as I didn't feel "safe" in my bed, then tried to sleep in the bathroom, back to the sofa, though about locking myself in the closet or sleep in the bathtub, felt like garbage for about a week, couldn't eat for days,... it was an absolute hell I will never forget.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

the worst were the ones I didn't have because I was still drunk when I passed in the next day.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
2/2016

Dry heaves the next day. Had no idea what those were. Working with them.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

In a round about way hangovers saved my life.
The pain got so bad, I started medicating with opiates (NEVER DO THIS). Lost job, endured stigma. Went to the root of the problem and quit.

Alive now.

Without hangovers, I have no doubt it would have been a straight cruise through a wasted life to an early grave.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leviathan View Post
In a round about way hangovers saved my life.
The pain got so bad, I started medicating with opiates (NEVER DO THIS). Lost job, endured stigma. Went to the root of the problem and quit.

Alive now.

Without hangovers, I have no doubt it would have been a straight cruise through a wasted life to an early grave.
^^this^^ There was a time years ago when I quit drinking for about 30 days and fell in with opiates as a "crutch" during this time, which became a nightmare in and of itself. I quit drinking June 14, 2016 and have decided that I will never ingest opiates again if I can avoid it, they are a nasty habit for someone with an addictive personality.

Towards the end I think I had permanent alcohol poisoning because I would be throwing up violently almost every morning, a couple times I had to go to Urgent Care because I was so sick. But the hangover I especially remember, out of thousands, was crying in my bathtub one morning and praying because I knew I was so terribly sick, physically and spiritually. I was at a very low point and was contemplating ending it if I couldn't stop. I guess my prayers were finally answered because I quit not long after that, and haven't suffered any hangovers since.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Worst Hangover?

Well, the last one was bad enough to make me vow to quit when I awoke the next day.

I don't need to recall the details.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My worst hangovers were when I stopped having hangovers and started having withdrawals instead. Heart palpitations, racing pulse, dangerously high BP, etc.. Never want to go there again.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Worst by far was when I got the stomach flu immediately following a 3-day bender!!

Thought I was gonna die...
Old 01-18-2017, 02:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Probably the one when I'd been taken to hospital passed out and put on a saline drip. Then had to travel 3 hours on a train home. (We'd been to London to go to a party the night before). I don't think I've ever felt that cold or fragile. I spent the majority of the train ride in the toilet holding my head. Couldn't even come out when people knocked on the door. My hubby at the time was worried I'd died in there.

Gosh that sounds awful and the worst part is I drank again the next weekend.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

One of the reasons I have quit drinking temporarily (and strongly anticipate I need to make it permanent) is my increasingly crippling hangovers.

Blackouts, arguments, waking up to the realisation I have caused stupid whatsapp arguments for no reason, my partner furious at my lack of contact, unsure how I got home safely, receipts in my bag for money I can't afford to spend and taxis I was probably unsafe in. Worst case, vomiting the next day, dull, grey skin and hair, eating junk and feeling out of shape.

Horrible!
Old 01-18-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It's weird, but I never had bad hangovers as my drinking increased. I had plenty of headaches and a few stomach issues, but never anything near what others described, and certainly not anything that correlated to the amount of booze I was drinking. What got me, and what others have noted, is the withdrawal symptoms. I once boarded an airplane just as the shaking started and, of course, knew that it would get worse without any access to alcohol. It seemed like forever before the flight attendant came through with the drink cart. By then, I was full on shaking. When she went to hand me my booze, I had to ask her to set it on my tray table because I knew I couldn't take it from her hand without spilling it everywhere. I then needed to drink it, but couldn't because my hands were shaking so bad, so I leaned over in my tiny plane seat and just sucked from the cup. I drank the whole drink that way. I made no eye contact with anybody on that plane, but the people sitting around me had to think that I was the biggest loser ever. The shame and embarrassment of going through something like that is not something that I would wish on my worst enemy.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
My worst hangovers were when I stopped having hangovers and started having withdrawals instead. Heart palpitations, racing pulse, dangerously high BP, etc.. Never want to go there again.
DItto for me.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
This fits my story perfectly..
Old 01-18-2017, 05:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Blankspace87 View Post
One of the reasons I have quit drinking temporarily (and strongly anticipate I need to make it permanent) is my increasingly crippling hangovers.

Blackouts, arguments, waking up to the realisation I have caused stupid whatsapp arguments for no reason, my partner furious at my lack of contact, unsure how I got home safely, receipts in my bag for money I can't afford to spend and taxis I was probably unsafe in. Worst case, vomiting the next day, dull, grey skin and hair, eating junk and feeling out of shape.

Horrible!
might want to print this out and put it in a few places you can read it often. might help ya decide to make it permanent