Notices

Rave by Rain: A Sober Journey

Old 12-14-2016, 06:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Cool Rave by Rain: A Sober Journey

The title of this thread is the slogan, "Travel by Train" with a few letters missing. It seems fitting for a story about America's half-vast rail system and my alcoholism.

In January, I will be taking a three-week train trip from Seattle to Florida to visit my aunt. She is the last surviving person from that generation in my family. I'll be spending five days each way on trains. I enjoy train travel, and prefer it to flying--but it is very expensive, slow, and it gives me a lot of time to think about drinking.

All the trains I am going on have a lounge car, serving alcohol from early in the morning until late at night. And of all the thousands of types of wine in the world, one of Amtrak's three choices is my DOC. I have already thought that if I buy some, I'll get not one but two half-bottles. Just to start...

I am doubling up on AA meetings in advance, and have a schedule of meetings for when I am in Florida. Some of the trains have Wifi, so I'll be able to log on here, but not The Empire Builder between the West Coast and Chicago--it does not even offer cell phone service for large segments of the journey.

So I am looking for support and accountability from you all here. I also hope to share some pictures and stories of my journey.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Would the turmoil be reduced by flying instead? Is that a feasible alternative? I know there are still bars in airports and they serve booze on planes but the window of time is a heck of a lot shorter.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
Would the turmoil be reduced by flying instead? Is that a feasible alternative? I know there are still bars in airports and they serve booze on planes but the window of time is a heck of a lot shorter.

I really don't like flying. I don't like the security thing, cramped seats and bad food even in first class, and I am slightly worried about falling out of the sky.

On the other hand, I love trains. I love railroads, the scenery, and I like socializing on trains (but also enjoy the privacy of my roomette).

There is no way I am flying! I added a whole extra day to the trip just so I could go on one ten-mile stretch of track in daylight!
Old 12-15-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I like trains too

I'm confident that you have a robust and resilient recovery Coldfusion - but we'll be here for support

D
Old 12-18-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I just upgraded myself to a "Family Room" instead of a "Roomette" on the train I am taking from Seattle to St.Paul (a 45-hour trip). The "Family Room" is downstairs in the train car, so it can extend the entire width of the car and has windows on both sides. It also has a wider lower berth, and is closer to the shower room.

I have most of the provisions I need, although it has been a challenge finding thermal long-johns for Minnesota (where I am spending three days) that have good reviews and don't cost $100 a pair. I ordered some inexpensive ones from Amazon, and hope they're good enough.

Not too long ago, I would be worrying about how to bring along enough wine. And disposing empty "Carlo Rossi" gallon-jugs in the public wastebasket was kind of embarrassing. Even in the days "before I was an alcoholic," I had a special bag for carrying a bottle of wine, two glasses and an opener. It was a must-have travel accessory...
Old 12-18-2016, 11:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like its going to be an interesting trip. I've always thought it would be fun to do that around Europe....but in reality I'm not sure I could handle it.

But you already know this is your 'thing' so that's awesome. You'll have to report how things are going when you have wifi!

Don't freeze your bumpers off in Minnesota!
Old 12-18-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I almost made that trip in 2009. I hope you give us a travel-log about all the details. I still may do it in the future. I live in the NW now but I grew up in FLA.

I'm not sure how/why you are entertaining thoughts of buying 2 half bottles? Just as an aside, the porters know everything. I'll bet they could find you a Friend of Bill on board without too much difficulty.

The family room! Fancy. Is Mrs. Coldfusion going too?
Old 12-18-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
2/2016

The train trip sounds lovely. I would bring books. You cannot enjoy a book drinking, or at least I never could. I would forget what I read, or the words would bounce

Please stay away from the wine. Your trip will be so much more enjoyable with no guilt, no hangover, and more spending$$ saved by not buying booze.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I'm not sure how/why you are entertaining thoughts of buying 2 half bottles?
I'm planning on NOT getting wine--but need some extra support. I thought about walking up and down the train carrying a "Looking for Friend of Bill" sign!

My wife is not coming with me. We are taking separate vacations--she went to visit her family in September. We can't bear the thought of leaving our cats in a stranger's care! If she were coming, I would have to get the room that has its own toilet and shower. For myself, I actually prefer NOT having a toilet in my room (YUCK!).

My reading material--a bunch of train magazines--came in the mail today. I am not really planning on doing a whole lot of reading--mostly I'll be looking out the window.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

12 Reasons to Take the Train

11 Things Traveling on a Plane Does to Your Body

plus

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...hoenix-az.html
Old 12-20-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I like the idea of "looking for friends of Bill"
Old 12-20-2016, 04:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ask the porter to be seated for meals with non-drinkers. You may meet some others in recovery that way. I'm sure that's a common request anyway.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Ask the porter to be seated for meals with non-drinkers. You may meet some others in recovery that way. I'm sure that's a common request anyway.
I have learned from experience that the dining car steward (Lead Service Attendant) is not amenable to fulfilling special requests when it comes to seating. Move 'em in and move 'em out! I have sat with a few weirdos, but when it comes to alcohol I was often the only one drinking. I remember last time I had dinner in a dining car, my wife and I both ordered wine and the couple seated with us were like, "Oh! Wine with dinner! This is a special occasion, maybe we'll share a glass!"

There is the option of having my porter (Sleeping Car Attendant) bring meals to my room, but I usually enjoy the company of the other people I sit with in the dining car.

By the way, if a passenger becomes drunk and disorderly on a train, he or she is put off--but not at the nearest station. The train is met by law enforcement at a roadway, and the passenger is turned over to police custody.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
I like the idea of "looking for friends of Bill"
Okay--I just printed a sign that reads, "Looking for Friend of Bill W." I printed it on photo paper so it is stiff and won't fold over if I have to carry it through the train. (Of course, at first I put the photo paper in the printer upside-down, and the ink didn't stick to the bottom so I got ink all over my hands and my laptop). But it's printed! I sure won't have a printer on the train, and probably won't even have paper...
Old 12-21-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This morning in rehab we talked about mental relapse which is when you start thinking and planning about drinking again before you already physically relapse. Relapse begins long before you actually physically relapse.

For me mental relapse begins with thinking this time I will be able to control myself and not get into a binge cycle too afraid to stop because of withdrawals.

This is what I read in rehab this morning that changed everything:

If you could get a handle on this and control yourself, you would have already. You can't.

So I'd say this relapse sounds very likely for you. Fly! For goodness sake and call the airline with your sponsor and ask them not to serve you alcohol.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by Water441 View Post
So I'd say this relapse sounds very likely for you. Fly! For goodness sake and call the airline with your sponsor and ask them not to serve you alcohol.
Honestly, if I try to fly I will never make it out of the airport bar.

Really--I wouldn't make it onto the plane.

There is no question about flying!
Old 12-21-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Can you go into treatment instead of taking this trip?
Old 12-21-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by Water441 View Post
Can you go into treatment instead of taking this trip?
I haven't had a drink in over four years, so I don't think treatment would be approprriate.

I actually toyed with the idea of doing some sort of spiritual retreat instead of visiting my Aunt, but my family is important to my sobriety too. My Aunt has always been very supportive of me, and I think I owe her this visit.

On this trip, I am also visiting my brother and sister for the first time since I have been sober.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sorry I didn't realize the length of your sobriety. Perhaps you could fly your aunt up to you? Stay in your routine and geography that's been working for four years
Old 12-21-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I agree to an extent that we need to be aware when we are starting to head down that road... like we all have those times when we think... "a little bit of whatever and ginger ale might taste nice"... even if that thought stays at the table for longer than it is welcome to, we have to be careful not to assume it's presence means we will relapse.. Do you know what I am trying to say at least? Thoughts like "In saying this, I have already part way relapsed" can be the thing that tips the scales over to actual relapse! Be careful!