Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I’m not 100% sure ADSAP helps prevent Drunk Driving

Notices

Old 10-26-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I’m in ADSAP classes right now, all I keep on hearing is “Alcohol is Evil/Bad, Drinking will ruin your life, Drinking will lead to harder drugs.” Okay, that’s an easy response to Alcoholism, we already know drinking can have a negative effect on life. Most of the people in the class have no choice but to shake their head and go along with it so they aren’t attacked. However, are they learning anything? Or are they just agreeing because they have no choice or because it sounds good like the concept of world peace. A girl who was in one of my ADSAP classes got a DUI a few days ago. She participated, she was very vocal about wanting to change her life, she even had a friend who died in a DUI crash, I would never think this would happen to her.

The government/politicians want to satisfy MADD (mothers against drunk driving), so they create a cookie-cutter one size fits all class that can only work in an idea world just so it seems like it prevents drunk driving, to make people feel safe. Teach Abstinence and Guilt to drunk drivers and people will stop drinking and driving. It’s teaching people to fear alcohol and not view it realistically, so much so that when in a situation where alcohol comes up, people in these classes don’t know how to handle it. They are taught alcohol is evil, and drinking it will make you do evil things. However, decision making very much plays a role in drunk driving as much as alcohol, and it’s never addressed in the classes. They preach Abstinence to kill the 2 birds with one stone while the person’s decision making stays the same.

In my opinion addressing this would help cut back on DUIs. Most of the stories I read about people getting their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th DUI is they were sober for a long time, and then decided to drink, then drive, but the drinking comes 1st. It seems like in all these stories alcohol is to blame, and people respond by saying “Stop Drinking, Stop Drinking” but it doesn’t work as that’s only half of why that person did what they did. They also drove.

So why aren’t there any teachings on what to do if you do decide to drink or find yourself intoxicated. How about teaching about the BAC levels of alcohol, having a taxi or friend on speed dial, taking a taxi to a restaurant/bar if you feel tempted to drink. Learning the importance of moderation. Reading stories about people who were injured and died as a result of drunk driving. I know some people will say once an alcoholic has 1 drink, they can’t stop themselves from drinking. I don’t fully agree with this, but even if it is true, there should be some education provided that can prevent someone from driving if they do find themselves in a situation where they are getting intoxicated, atleast to save lives and prevent that person from getting into legal trouble. I’m not saying moderation is better than Abstinence or trying to offend anyone off their path, I’m simply saying educating people who have DUIs to make smarter decisions if they do slip up and decide to drink can also play a role in preventing drunk driving in my opinion.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Because all best intentions and good judgement go out the window once one starts drinking.

Just try taking away someone's keys after they've had a few. Their reply is, "I'm fine!" They actually believe it, so your plan is flawed.

To protect society, the best course is abstinence. Of course it isn't going to always work. People drink.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm not trying to be harsh, just maybe show you what this looks from the outside to someone who's heard a lot of alcohol and drug-related tales, and has a bunch of his own, and knows people who've been killed or paralyzed by drunk/drugged drivers.

One, you don't want to hear about the value of abstinence despite getting fired from a job for coming in drunk multiple times, crashing a car drunk, getting a DUI, getting your license suspended for a year, getting or almost getting kicked out onto the homeless streets, etc. Perhaps you see that alcohol itself impairs judgement?

Two, you think that alcoholics (about half of all first-time DUI drivers are alcoholics, whether they are willing to admit it or not, yet) can learn to control their decision making processes about driving drunk even if they cannot control their drinking anymore, and even though most DUI arrests are of people WAY over the legal limit and making themselves obvious, long past the time when their better judgement might have intervened. This does not make sense.

Three, you're exaggerating enough that I can't tell what you're really hearing in DUI class. I'm quite certain no one told you alcohol was evil, and I'm pretty sure that a bit of reflection might correct the curious notion that DUIs are just being made out to be bad by MADD members who control government/politicians.

I went through DUI school about 5 years before I finally quit drinking, and at the time I was certain I didn't have a problem, just got unlucky. The stories of drunken debauchery from the instructor, or the AA folks they brought in, didn't resonate with me, neither did the movies. And I was far from alone, there were two people out of maybe 40 who admitted they were alcoholics, the rest of us just went through the motions. But half of the people in that room, on average, were alcoholics destined for far worse times (like I was), and nearly half would go on to get a 2nd DUI and possibly kill someone else (fortunately I did not get any more).

It's a big deal, and every single person who gets a DUI blew right through years of cultural training not to drink and drive, knowing all about BAC levels, how many drinks is drunk, taxi options, etc. By the time you finally get your DUI, you're almost certainly driven drunk many times before without getting caught, and you've already demonstrated that none of that past education and experience mattered once you got a couple or more drinks in you.

At that point, the best solution really is to not drink, and seek support if necessary to stay away from alcohol, for a long time if not forever.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

educating people who have DUIs to make smarter decisions if they do slip up and decide to drink can also play a role in preventing drunk driving in my opinion.
But that's just it. When you drink, you lose your ability to make smart decisions.

I have no sympathy for drunk drivers, and I've driven drunk enough to realize how blessed I was to never have hurt anyone.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sober driving classes should include all ways to STOP DUI's!

That you realize that is excellent. Ask the instructors to include that realistic training.

Think of those that have injured and killed DUI. That MUST BE STOPPED!

Much of Europe is advanced in BAC levels and PENALTIES.

I think increased PRISON time, car forfeiture, etc may also be an answer.

Thanks & best wishes
Old 10-26-2016, 08:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mr

"....I know some people will say once an alcoholic has 1 drink, they can’t stop themselves from drinking. I don’t fully agree with this...."

Not speaking for everyone but its the first drink that gets me drunk.

I used to drive on auto pilot all the time and often during blackouts. Several crashes, license taken, one year ban, ambulances, court, insurance companies.... and then the moral dilemma.... and then forget it all and start again.

There's lots of reasons for getting cleaned up. That's just one.

Take care of yourself.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There actually are a lot of teaching and programs out there to keep drunk people from driving. Almost every city with bars has some kind of safe ride home program you can call for a free or cheap ride home. Bartenders know this too.

But abstinence is the only solution for an alcoholic...and not just for the driving problem. We can cannot moderate out drinking....period.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Society's highest PRIORITY is to STOP MURDER of its people. The capitol crime.

This includes murder caused by drunk drivers!

DUI's MUST BE STOPPED!
Old 10-27-2016, 04:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by YoungHyde25 View Post

I know some people will say once an alcoholic has 1 drink, they can’t stop themselves from drinking. I don’t fully agree with this, but even if it is true, there should be some education provided that can prevent someone from driving if they do find themselves in a situation where they are getting intoxicated, atleast to save lives
The inability to guarantee the amount we will drink after taking the first drink, every time, is a defining characteristic of alcoholism. If I had control every time, I wouldn't be alcoholic.

I never got a dui even though I drove drunk at least on a weekly basis, and was stopped many times. They did not detect my drunkeness, I had a high tolerance and was used to driving in this state. An awful lot of first time duis are not experienced, don't have the tolerance, and just plain get caught out. And they are horrified, they will never drink and drive again.

When the person gets caught a second or third time, I would suggest they are much more likely to be alcoholic. The one timers get a fright from the consequences and realise they could have caused serious harm to others. They do the decent, honorable thing and dont drive drunk again.

The real alcoholics, self centred in the extreme, never give a thought to the safety of others. They're only concerned with themsleves and getting from A to B with the minimum of personal inconvenience. They have an inflated view of their driving abilities, and anyway, such accidents would never happen to them. There is more going on than just poor judgement based in a little intoxication.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't know about other people, but if I search back in my memory, the responses to my problem drinking behaviors usually included the suggestion that I should be able to drink without causing this much of a problem and why can't I just have one or two. I know there was a thread about how most adults don't drink... drinkers are surrounded by other drinkers, they're not surrounded by the non-drinkers... so the other drinkers in our lives, think we SHOULD be able to continue drinking but stop ****ing up. I know it's a subconscious way to hold on to personal connections through that common bond over alcohol, I'm just saying... I do think there's a culture, even around DUI offenses, that the person just needs to call a cab next time. The post card the cops slipped in to my pocket when they dropped me off at home did not say anything about abstaining, it said drink safely. That's a crock.. but only in my world as I see it now...
Old 10-28-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Daily I see the news of people horribly injured, maimed, disfigured, or killed by DRUNK DRIVERS.

Including a mother crossing the street pushing her baby in a stroller.

And others run over and left to die.

Its ALL HORRIBLE!

What booze and drugs can easily lead to.

ALL DUI's MUST BE STOPPED !

Old 10-31-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober'sBest View Post

ALL DUI's MUST BE STOPPED !

it would be nice to see that happen, but how?