Notices

Hi from the UK , i'm back again!

Old 10-23-2016, 11:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi from the UK , i'm back again!

Well after more very short term efforts to quit i am here again.

Determined to become free from the shackles of alcohol.

I have been free from drink since Tuesday, no issues except headache and feeling very, very tired. I am very lucky that after 30 years of drinking between 100 and 150 UK units of alcohol that i'm not physically addicted to the stuff, psychologically though, well....thats another matter.

I feel great at present but on previous occasions when the novelty wears off is when i'm at my most vulnerable. Any advice to stay positive going forward?

Thanks in advance....
Old 10-23-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back. Keep sobriety as your number one focus in life for now
Old 10-23-2016, 12:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello, strykeruk. Welcome back!
Old 10-23-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just read back on the post and feel the title seems a little flippant, well it certainly isn't! I think i'm just glad to have been sober for 4 days and certainly mean to go on that way...I'm back again and going nowhere!!!!
Old 10-23-2016, 02:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your determination to stay sober is a terrific defense. You might get some satisfaction in writing down some gratitudes. Hopefully the list will grow as you feel better and better.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have you made a plan yet? Dee started an excellent thread with lots of useful links. I'd suggest reading through and making your own... http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans-2.html

My top tips would be to...

Investigate support groups available in your area. If at the moment these don't seem an option for you, still write down the details on a piece of paper (contact names and numbers, and address and days /times). Especially with AA, there is no need to contact ahead of time, you can just turn up if you feel you need it anytime. And the need often creeps up on us.

Think HALT. How can you avoid getting Hungry-Anger-Lonely-Tired ? What will you do if you do find yourself Hungry-Anger-Lonely-Tired ? These are common triggers, both earlier in sobriety when they might cause us to pick up a drink, and also later I sobriety when 2 or more combined can affect the quality of our sobriety and start to question the value of it.

Think about the things you enjoyed before booze became the main choice. Even if that was back in early teens or childhood. What we're your passions? Could these be rekindled in some way. Getting sober shouldn't just be about what we remove. That leaves a void. An emptiness. One that we tend to fill with obsessive thoughts, and restlessness, irritability and discontentment. Even if it's just committing to getting out and about for a long walk in the fresh air, or working through some childhood favourite films or comedy classics. Light relief can really, really help.

Who are your support network generally? Make another list to put in your wallet. In down moments who could you call, or visit or arrange to go for a coffee with? If there are none, then how could you build some?

If you're considering AA, it might be worth having a listen to the speaker recordings available online as well... 5500+ AA Speakers & Tapes - Organized & Mobile-Friendly!

And of course, read and post on here often. This place makes such a diffrence to so many of us.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB
Old 10-24-2016, 04:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Stryker

if you find you're losing your way after a few days or weeks, maybe you need to accept this is a lifelong change?

I'm not saying you'll have to work as hard at this forever, but if you've drunk for years, you're not going to change your life in a few weeks and you'll need to keep up the effort and the commitment.

I recommend making a plan and sticking to it...commit to it for the forseeable future.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 10-24-2016, 04:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just think you almost have a week sober.
That is a great sober start.
M-Bob
Old 10-25-2016, 12:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well day 6 today, feeling good. Alcohol skipped across my mind last night for a second so went for a 6 mile run at the time i would have been well into the drink..