Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

ever had blackouts -- if so -- when did they start ?

Notices

Old 10-13-2016, 08:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Although not serious attempts, I was introduced to recovery at the early age of 18 and then again in my mid twenties. More serious at 38 when I went to a treatment hospital for 28 days and stayed sober just short of three years. Then in my fifties I sobered up a few times and again entered the rooms of AA.

One thing that I never could relate to when attending meetings was hearing about "blackouts." I when drinking throughout my life, drank very heavily and had never had a "blackout", although many, many times I had passed out. Well, that was until I reached my mid fifties and I started to "blackout" when drinking. I would have people tell me things that I did the day or night before and call them a liar. But, in time I realized that it was true, I was doing things while drunk in a "blackout" with no control over my actions. This was pretty scary plus, I had gotten in some deep troubles that I had not a clue of committing.

I believe that in my fifties I had reached either mid term or late term alcoholism ??

Grateful to have 9 years of sobriety here in a week or two.

Have you ever had blacked outs -- if so -- when did they start ?

M-Bob
Old 10-13-2016, 08:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Matt M

I don't think I have but it's possible.
I've had six withdrawal seizures so I guess they are a bit like blackouts because you don't remember anything about them (other than waking up with a fractured shoulder and smashed up face!).

Although saying that, I was walking back from the shops a few years ago, had been drinking a lot, next thing I know I was sat on the pavement with a cut face. So I think I blacked out then.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Routinely. 4 or 5 nights a week. Thought that was normal.

I don't have to live like that anymore.

It's nice to wake up refreshed, and being able to remember everything from the night before.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think most every time I drank I would black out not remember what happened towards the end of the night. The only full blown blackouts I've had where I completely had no idea what was going on is when I made the mistake of mixing booze with benzos.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
Although not serious attempts, I was introduced to recovery at the early age of 18 and then again in my mid twenties. More serious at 38 when I went to a treatment hospital for 28 days and stayed sober just short of three years. Then in my fifties I sobered up a few times and again entered the rooms of AA.

One thing that I never could relate to when attending meetings was hearing about "blackouts." I when drinking throughout my life, drank very heavily and had never had a "blackout", although many, many times I had passed out. Well, that was until I reached my mid fifties and I started to "blackout" when drinking. I would have people tell me things that I did the day or night before and call them a liar. But, in time I realized that it was true, I was doing things while drunk in a "blackout" with no control over my actions. This was pretty scary plus, I had gotten in some deep troubles that I had not a clue of committing.

I believe that in my fifties I had reached either mid term or late term alcoholism ??

Grateful to have 9 years of sobriety here in a week or two.

Have you ever had blacked outs -- if so -- when did they start ?

M-Bob

Did I ever have blackouts?

More than I care to remember.

They started in my early twenties.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

my 1st memory of drinking i was 14. i got blackout drunk.didnt stop me or blackouts for 23 more years.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sober style

Only real blackout I ever had was when I was 23, before I'd started drinking in earnest. Was high on mushrooms and drank half a fifth of bourbon at a party. I think at the time I mostly blamed the mushrooms. It didn't faze me much.

In the last years of my drinking I'd forget a lot of stuff and things I'd said but never had full-on blackouts.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I had them very infrequently, but when they did happen, they were scary as hell. However, never scary enough to make me stop.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes. More than I remember. They started when I was in my thirties and, still I denied my alcoholism.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zjw

i honestly dont remember having any. I mean everytime i was just that tossed i still have vague recollections at least.

But i've been told that i've said things and that I may not recall what i said. I dunno either way tho.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

I never had blackouts for most of the 28 years I drank, until the last 5 months of it. During the final one, I totaled my car and broke my neck. Thank God no one else was involved as I still don't remember anything about it at all. Even so, I drank once more when I got out of the hospital. It finally occurred to me how insane that was and I poured out the remainder of the bottle. That was the last drink I took. That was a year and a half ago and I've been sober ever since.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yep. The book Blackout by Sarah Hepola describes many scenarios too similar to what I experienced and did.

I was one of those who seemed "normal" and was totally blacked out, many times. Other times, I am certain I was obviously drunk. There are things I did and paid consequences for - some, great ones- that I still don't remember. The ones that came back, usually in pieces of memory, were terrifying and shameful. Or just plain dumb. I drove, I cooked, I texted, I had sex, I .... the gamut. I am grateful there is plenty I still do not remember.

My first blackout? Probably mid twenties. But the "bad stuff" came later. By the end, I don't know if I was blacking out or just passing out and it doesn't matter.

I nearly killed myself and it is a miracle to have the life (that alone) that I do now.

I don't let myself focus on the blackouts. I'm a classic example of what not to do and regurgitating the past or stewing over it or wondering about the "holes," well, is pointless and counterproductive.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't recall.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

First time I got drunk, at age 15. It was rare but not all that unusual through my teens and early twenties, and after my drinking got going strong and out of control in my 40's it ultimately became an every-single-night thing. A good night was when I remembered going to bed, but most nights I did not.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Old 10-14-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
quat

It happened the first time I got drunk as a young teen. And most times I drank enough there after into my mid twenties. Then it seemed to not happen as often until the last few years of drinking when I rarely remembered 'going to bed'. As insane as it seems I was acclimated to it, it was normal. Thank god for a new normal.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Blackouts are scary. I know that some are in prison due to crimes they committed in a blackout.
M-Bob
Old 10-14-2016, 08:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Periodically in my late 20's I would drink to a blackout but I would pass out fairly shortly after. I didn't drink as much in my late 30s (don't get me wrong I still had 2-3 a day every day without ever skipping a day and occasionally more). Over the last few years I've been drinking a lot every day and having more and more blackouts. At first it would be extreme cases where i really tied one on and everyone would tell stories about how funny I was the night before. Over the last year I'd wake up and not remember what I had for dinner the night before or what my wife and I watched on tv, that was the point where it started to be troubling. I'm in my mid 40s now.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It seems toward the last couple years of my drinking, nearly every night was a blackout at some point. Luckily enough I was usually at home drinking. I always hated when someone said "don't you remember........ We talked about it last night!?" I knew I was drinking last night and where I was drinking but had no recollection of the conversation. Very scary to me now. I guess I simply went to blacking it out the next day then.

Serves as a good reminder of what I'm doing here in recovery.... Thanks MB
Old 10-14-2016, 10:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Into the Void

I was a periodic binge blackout drinker from the start, and I never craved alcohol or went daily. It's just that sometimes when I start, I really can't stop, especially at parties. Don't miss those mornings waking up in my clothes, can't remember hours from the previous night and saying holy **** how did I get here? I've even ridden my motorcycle across a city in that state. Went to the garage in the morning and the bike was parked properly. Yikes.