Notices

For everyone who is dry

Old 09-29-2016, 06:22 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Abigmess View Post
Sorry to offend anybody. I obviously don't love the outcomes of my drinking but i am addicted to the feeling that alcohol gives me. I can see that this will really mess me up even more than it already has if I continue to drink. People always ask why do you drink even when you get into all kinds of trouble why don't you just stop or only have a couple. Well my honest answer is because I love the feeling of being drunk, I do however realise that just because you love doing something doesn't excuse it if it is doing more harm than good . I'm on here because I know I need to stop and I actually want to stop I'm just being truthful. I wouldn't be an alcoholic if I didn't like drinking
I think most of us can remember why we started drinking and kept drinking - if it wasn't pleasurable at some point or some level we'd never have gotten hooked.

Its good that you're self aware about how whats pleasurable and whats good are not necessarily the same.

It took me a few months for my head to clear and for me to see the full reality of my drinking. You've made a good start abigmess

D

Last edited by Dee74; 09-29-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I personally wish I could drink all the time but I know I can't anymore. I've done wrong drunk to many times I know I can't do it anymore. A big part of me still thinks I can drink, but deep down I know I'm done
If you are indeed done with drinking, consider replacing "I can't drink" in your thinking with "I won't drink", because that's what actually matters in the long run. It also matters more than "wanting" or "not wanting" to drink, which is the part that some people don't like about your post.

It is entirely possible to desire something, and yet still forsake the object of one's desire. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:44 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

The longer you stay sober the less you'll think about the euphoria of drinking abigmess. Alcohol creates an illusion. That's the allure of it. Henceforth the term "intoxicating ". You will see past the smoke and mirrors as time goes on. You're at the point of alcoholism. It's a deadly insidious disase. Forget the good times, there gone. You're life depends on sobriety now. Allways remember that and you'll be fine.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:54 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

There is no logical reason that i can see other than I like it the feeling of being drunk.
Here's one.

Originally Posted by waynetheking View Post
Alcohol creates an illusion
You may not see it now, not yet, but what we feel in early recovery is mostly addiction, which we confuse with really liking something. Once the veils are lifted, we see it for what it really is.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:48 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

For me, this is life and death. My last bender dam near killed me and it always gets worse. There's no love in my heart for the feeling of being drunk, only hate. There's no fond memories, only anger from stolen years.

Nowadays, I'm just tryin to make up for lost time by being a better version of me.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:04 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I never loved drinking, but there was a time when I mistakenly believed I liked drinking.

Fortunately, I've come to realize there is little reason to like drinking and many reasons to dislike it. At this point I don't miss drinking at all; my desire for alcohol is almost zero. Rather. I immensely enjoy being sober, clear-headed and living life.

If anyone here is still missing alcohol and/or feels that alcohol offers some benefits or enhances life in some way, I highly suggest reading Allen Carr's book. "Stop Drinking Now." It changed my whole perspective about drinking and helped me realize that I'm not depriving myself of anything at all.

Perhaps Carr's book will help some of you?
Old 09-30-2016, 03:50 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

As an alcoholic, I had to learn how to deal with the "romantic" aspects of my drinking before I could truly move on. Of course, the stuff was slowly killing me, but my mind was so messed up that it took me years to finally admit it to myself. The rose-colored glasses eventually wear off, but I think most still have to deal with the issues of why it did feel good, at least for awhile.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:13 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Sorry to offend anybody. I obviously don't love the outcomes of my drinking but i am addicted to the feeling that alcohol gives me. I can see that this will really mess me up even more than it already has if I continue to drink. People always ask why do you drink even when you get into all kinds of trouble why don't you just stop or only have a couple. Well my honest answer is because I love the feeling of being drunk, I do however realise that just because you love doing something doesn't excuse it if it is doing more harm than good . I'm on here because I know I need to stop and I actually want to stop I'm just being truthful. I wouldn't be an alcoholic if I didn't like drinking
ok, what feeling is it you love?
Old 09-30-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Dry is not-drinking and feeling bad about it.

Recovery is not-drinking and feeling good about it.

Not-drinking has nothing to do with why I am sober today.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:15 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I sure don't remember "loving" to drink, and alcohol sure didn't love me back.
Eff alcohol.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

yeah I wish I could drink like I did in high school and just after. I was only drinking maybe 3 times a week sometimes 4 but that's reasonable compared to every second drinking. sucks that this disease creeps up on us like it does than is permanent. I'm only 4 days in after a relapse but I want to be sober the rest of my life so I can see my kids grow up
Old 10-02-2016, 05:14 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

It was a fair question, no need to feel bad about asking it. And no need for anyone else to get mad with their answer. I had your same thoughts and i figure its a process, something to work through with lots of emotions attached.