Notices

Detox Relapse question

Old 09-04-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detox Relapse question

Hey there. I feel shameful even typing this but I need help. I recently was in a detox program for two weeks, I was discharged last Friday. I relapsed and drank a little bit last night and tonight for the holiday. By a little, I mean three beers and like two glasses of wine in total each night over a total of about 8 hours. That is still, I'm sure, a full relapse. Especially two nights in a row. I plan on DEFINITELY not drinking for a long time. I am sending this because I am scared of having withdrawal symptoms.

After drinking for two nights after not drinking for three weeks, am I likely to experience any variation of withdraw? Today I just felt hung over and now I feel sick and slightly anxious. If anyone could tell me I would really really appreciate it. My alcohol withdrawals were terrifying the first time and were what made me check myself into the detox unit in the first place...I'm ashamed that I relapsed so quickly, but I really want to know what to expect...because I'm really scared.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fairychild View Post

I relapsed and drank a little bit last night and tonight for the holiday. By a little, I mean three beers and like two glasses of wine in total each night over a total of about 8 hours.

That is still, I'm sure, a full relapse.

Especially two nights in a row. I plan on DEFINITELY not drinking for a long time. I am sending this because I am scared of having withdrawal symptoms.

am I likely to experience any variation of withdraw?
Does sound like a solid relapse.
You truly did not drink that much and all should be fine.
But, as always advised on this site -- only your doctor knows for sure.

Make a firm decision to never drink again -- seems to work
when added with a Good Sober Program.
This site can be a part of that Program -- as you know.

M-Bob
Old 09-04-2016, 05:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No one on this forum can tell you or advise you or diagnose anything when it comes to your own alcohol withdrawal. But as you have just found out alcohol withdrawal can be quite frightening and dangerous so if I were you I'd be seeing a doctor sooner rather than later.
To me, it sounds as though you've relapsed because you were discharged but did not have any kind of solid recovery plan at all.
I think you have two things to address here. 1) make sure you aren't having any kindling or dangerous withdrawal symptoms from a doctor and 2)come up with a support team and solid Recovery Plan.

And stick around here! SR is a great place
Old 09-04-2016, 05:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Fairychld

You posted in our Suboxone and Methadone Detox forum which is only concerned with those drugs, not detox in general

I've moved your post here for more response

Withdrawal is unpredictable which is why none of us can really give you a definite answer.

If you feel unwell or concerned, seeing a Dr is always your best bet.

I plan on DEFINITELY not drinking for a long time.
Thats great to hear
Whats your plan?

D
Old 09-04-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I just feel anxious right now. I think the main thing I'm struggling with is my anxiety. I plan on going to groups and more therapy once I move back into my college. There is a program there for students and I am approaching my last semester. I hate that I relapsed... I want to be able to drink like a normal person... Like I used to. On weekends. It just sucks that this is something I need to deal with. But I know I have to because the detox program was very eye opening and I NEVER want to experience those terrifying withdrawal symptoms ever again. I'm really new to this and I appreciate all of the advice and support!
Old 09-04-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You sound like most of us here. What we DO know is that we can't drink like "normal" people do. And the more we try or tried to prove to ourselves that we could, the more we realized it just wasn't possible.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Btw.... Anxiety was my main and major withdrawal symptom. It got better and is continually getting better the longer I'm staying sober.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR fairychild. As already mentioned, we can't tell you whether or not you will have withdrawals again, but anxiety is very common of courses. You mention horrible withdrawals, was that recent? If so perhaps follow up with the detox center and let them know what's happened?
Old 09-04-2016, 06:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Fairychild View Post
I want to be able to drink like a normal person... Like I used to.
I'm going to give you the bad news first but I'm going to give it to you straight.

This is the trap. The thought that you can EVER drink like you used to. Something happens with alcoholics that causes them to process alcohol differently than they did in the past. This change typically takes place slowly and there are times when the alcoholic thinks they have returned to having some control over their drinking, (and some do to a minor degree for a very limited period of time).

The amount of control that you have over your drinking will progressively become less and less as you continue to drink. If you are like many you will stop for a long period of time and then believe you no longer have a problem. A drink will quickly show you that you have picked up at almost exactly the point where you left off.

The good news is that you never have to feel like this again.

But you've got to let it go.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi FairyChild,

Glad you are here and posting. You are smart to look into groups when you get back to school. Until then stick around here and spend time reading and posting. Also, I am sure they have meetings wherever you are right now. Did detox recommend any places to you?