Notices

8 months.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

8 months.

I passed 8 months sober a day or two ago.

Have we any Nick Cave fans here?

He did a great cover album, "Kicking Against the Pricks". I really recommend it. Another fine cultural contribution from our Aussie friends.

https://youtu.be/Zc2oKEXFL5w?list=PL...B04c47OMmQq6xk
Old 08-24-2016, 01:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on 8 months, sleepie!
Old 08-24-2016, 01:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Sleepie. Yes, I have that album - one of my favourites

D
Old 08-24-2016, 01:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have never really celebrated. I may walk out for a coffee. It's 3 a.m. or so here.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Also a big fan of Rowland S Howard. and Crime and the City Solution.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you haven't heard then already, you may like The Laughing Clowns too

D
Old 08-24-2016, 01:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
I passed 8 months sober a day or two ago.

Have we any Nick Cave fans here?

He did a great cover album, "Kicking Against the Pricks". I really recommend it. Another fine cultural contribution from our Aussie friends.

https://youtu.be/Zc2oKEXFL5w?list=PL...B04c47OMmQq6xk
Congratulations!

I am at 7 months now.

I like Nick Cave - especially I was listening a lot to the album Boatman's Call.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was obsessed with Nick Cave/Birthday Party etc. many years ago. I saw him perform and he was really tall and lanky and resembled a Fraggle. An angry one with tall black hair. What would his Fraggle name be?
Old 08-24-2016, 01:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Old 08-24-2016, 02:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What should I do for 8 month celebration? I've been in bad shape and lately getting kicked while I'm down. I was even considering opiates, painkillers or something. So I suppose this 8 months was hard earned. Then again maybe it means nothing.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on 8 months Sleepie!! You should definitely find a way to celebrate: cake, special outing, treat yourself to something!!

This thread now has Fraggle Rock stuck in my head, does anyone else remember that show?
Old 08-24-2016, 03:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do something nice for yourself. Opiates and painkillers are not nice.

D
Old 08-24-2016, 04:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Congrats on 8 months, Sleepie! Use this success to build on other things. Please don't slide back into drug use...that road leads nowhere but down.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Whoomp there it is Sleepie a nice treat might be a item of clothing a workout bench a book a trip to a massage therapist so many things hun

Pls don't talk reckless about drugs your better than that x
Old 08-24-2016, 04:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 8 months sober sleepie!
Old 08-24-2016, 05:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

A long time ago I was at an AA meeting. A war veteran there afterwards told me he really appreciated what I'd said. Which was basically, I didn't feel I'd accomplished anything by not drinking, because drinking was a chosen obstacle- not like the other hardships, like social rejections and a completely abusive upbringing I'd endured. He felt the same, in that he just simply never should have started drinking to begin with.

So what then has been accomplished? I don't have a family or anyone who'd be particularly disappointed if I drink. What's the difference? I don't drive. No one is in my care. Did I quit so that I don't harm myself, or others?

Others have been careless in how they treat me, why then should I care how I treat myself?
Old 08-24-2016, 06:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
zjw

Others have been careless in how they treat me, why then should I care how I treat myself?
because no matter what you gotta live with yourself so you better love yourself and get along with yourself. people will come and go and crap on you and you will hate that but dont crap on yourself cause you aint going no where.

besides when your alone and its just you and no one else do you want that to be crap too?

go easy on yourself.

I hate how life can kick you while your down then kick hyou in the teeth too while its at it. it can really suck like that sometimes. I dont have any good answers there. me i've been known to just lay ther eon the matt hoping the time will pass and life will just let up a little cause i got nothing left and cant get back up. Luckily while i'm laying there i'm resting and i am able to get back up again at some point and keep on sluggen.

good times and bad times come and go thankfully too. i woudl not want to be stuck in nothing but bad or nothing but good. if it was all good i'd no longer appreciate it. if it was all bad i'd be ready to do myself in. the variety is nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z18vJwmxFFY

I swear everything about life could be learned from the parenthood movie lol specially if you have kids anyhow.

life is like a roller coaster. the merry go round is boring it just goes round and round.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
zjw

oh and congrats on 8 months!
Old 08-24-2016, 06:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Because you're better than them! Don't you see, if you don't start to learn how to love yourself, then they win.

I've lived alone my entire adult life (by choice). Frankly, nobody would really know if I started drinking again. However, I would know and I couldn't live with myself knowing how far I've come these past 7+ years. That comes from learning to love and respect myself. It wasn't easy, but I did it. There were times that I wanted to just crawl away and die. But I didn't. And I'm so glad now. I know you've had it rougher than most, Sleepie, but you're still here. The past is gone, it's up to you to make your future.

Life is what you make it, but you're the only one that can do it. I only wish you could believe in yourself like many of us here believe in you.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
zjw

thats commendable former beer lover. is ometimes wonder if i was all alone if i'd be drinking again. story like yours gives me hope that its indeed possible to still remain sober.

i always think if i was alone i'd jump back in the gutter with a bottle in a jiffy. But i also think too these days what would lifek be like to be alone and sober.... it could be a pretty cool ride actually.