Notices

Steady, controlled, yet chronic user

Old 08-22-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Steady, controlled, yet chronic user

Good evening.
I decided to address this forum, since a quick internet search didn' t really get me anywhere. So.
I 've been drinking everyday, starting in the morning,for the last 8 years. The urge is stronger in the mornings. Yet the daily quantity is not that impressive (apr. 4-5 units), and it also stays remarkably steady throughout the days and the years. I do not binge, I do not do things i regret after.
I wanted to see how it affects me, so I 've stopped drinking (without significant effort) the past week. It appears that alcohol, ironically, helps me concentrate and motivates me, something that points me to the direction of a deeper underlying problem.
And my question is if anyone can relate to the above. And if so, (though I realize every situation is different), what could be the reason that led him/her to this kind of consumption, in hope that i might get a fresh perspective on the situation.
Thank you, and I wish all of you strength.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've never heard of anyone being medically helped by alcohol, except perhaps as a pain killer (it used to be used prior to surgical procedures). What can happen however is that we can become chemically dependent on alcohol, so that when we stop our brains don't work anymore - that is withdrawal. Withdrawal can drag on in various forms for up to 2 years in severe cases, but almost certainly more than 1 week, so you might find a different outcome if you stop for a longer period of time, say 90 days.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Steadydrinker. I think that if you've been drinking daily for years, it's going to take longer than a week for your body to adjust to the removal of alcohol from your system. It's certainly understandable that your body and mind is going to feel different, for most of us it was very uncomfortable to be honest.

You certainly may have underlying issues, most of us did. The range is very wide though - PTSD, anxiety, depression, OCD, schizophrenia, bipolar, you name it. You may want to consider seeing a doctor and/or therapist to explore the possiblities after you've been sober for a bit longer.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Could be as simple as a blood sugar boost. Alcohol is a concentrated source of simple carb calories and when we wake up, we're in low-glucose state since we haven't eaten while sleeping.

Or you are addicted and drinking in the morning gets the addicted cells what they need so your brain settles down.

Be careful, though. Lots of people here can attest to being daily "moderate" drinkers (athough you're still past the health guidelines at 28-35 units at week) until something just trips...and moderation goes out the window.

Needing to drink in the morning is often one of the signs that that process is underway.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeahhhh....a few things. What Jeffrey said, and:

I see a number of flags for alcoholism; you could also be what the Big Book describes as a heavy drinker who CAN quit.

I hear an AV (Alcoholic Voice) or potential one talking to you - telling you that because there have been no consequences (YET, as most of us alcoholics found happened for some amount of time) or that your overall consumption isn't that much, for two examples. Quantity, time, type of alcohol, total consumption, bingeing or not....NONE of these indicate that you are an alcoholic or not.

Bottom line (per AA): can you control your drinking? has your life become unmanageable? This is step one in AA- admitting we are powerless over alcohol and that our lives are completely out of control.

Only you can decide that. You are also the only one who can honestly assess your life and decide if it would be better without drinking. Perhaps you can quit or reduce or control. Alcoholics can only do the first in order to live, at all in some cases, and healthfully in all cases.

Good luck.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Catch 22

You may be fine in every aspect of your life but I doubt if your liver feels that great. If for no other reason I would suggest that you give your liver a serious break.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Che

With all drugs, chronic users eventually require the drug just to feel normal. The brain compensates for the effect of the drug. It's not that hard to find information about this topic.

4-5 units is a lot even one session a week. Everyday is crazy. 5 units would qualify as binging, for me. Even the generous health guidelines of various countries never say 35 drinks in a week would be okay. Every day continuously for years will definitely kill you twenty or thirty years before someone who doesn't. The liver just can't do it, let alone the other problems alcohol causes in our lives.

If you stop drinking for a year, you'll find you can concentrate just as well without alcohol, and you can spend your money on something less stupid and worry less about the health problems you're causing yourself. Really, it doesn't even take a year, but it could take about a month to get to 90%.

Talk to a doctor as well. This kind of heavy drinking usually warrants caution, as withdrawal can damage your body when you go too quick. Though maybe it's only life threatening when people are having 8+ drinks every day. Anyway they will give you answers to all your questions. Doctors have seen this a million times.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome SD
Old 08-22-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your responses, you gave me an extra boost to stay away for at least a couple more months, and checking what my liver has to say about all of these, definitely makes sense.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by steadydrinker View Post
Thank you all for your responses, you gave me an extra boost to stay away for at least a couple more months, and checking what my liver has to say about all of these, definitely makes sense.
Sounds like a great idea to me. Stick around SR too if you like, there's a wealth of information and support here.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Although I have a tendency to binge rather than exercise any level of control, I do hear you when you say you think you drink to motivate you. Prior to my decision this morning to try my hand at sobriety again today, I have been wondering about that myself fairly recently. I have often opened a bottle of wine to motivate myself to do things at home..mundane chores. I had been diagnosed ADD (the spacey sluggish type..not the hyper ADHD) and have lately been thinking about my last period of sobriety where I was actually on med's for the ADD and was doing okay...until I quit them. Again, prior to my decision to quit this morning, I have been doing a little research on natural ADD supplements.... because I knew this sobriety date had to come again sooner or later.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm very glad you're here, Steady.

Living without daily drinking is a lot easier than drinking everyday.

I hope you stick around and keep posting.

We all wish you success.