Notices

How Did I Stay Sober?

Old 07-23-2016, 02:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My sponsor has been saying this to me that action is where the recovery happens. He also states that I am a serious procrastinator while another person I converse with jokingingly says he thinks I do suffer from it indeed. Been meaning to start a thread on that because I've tried reading into it- apparently it stems from a fear of not being accurately able to predict the future i.e. tomorrow, next week etc...

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
I never thought of myself as a 'doer' or as a person of 'action.' I'm more of a thinker. I'm the daydreamer, intellectual, overly analytical type. The kind of person who's always in her own head.
I'm the same as yourself and others here, bigtime. Thing is though, about the habits and whatnot… These were and are coping mechanisms, right? So it ain't all that easy to just not utilize them. I wrote a little poem earlier in the year (while drunk) about 'The Only Refuge I Have Ever Known'. I was referring to my mind. So this is a real conundrum for me, absolutely. It's pissing me off even thinking about it lol...
Old 07-23-2016, 07:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I have tried to reply using "quote" feature because I wanted to respond to LotusChild and Leviathan. I guess I'll have to do it without being able to quote. Something is wonky tonight for some reason. Guess there's a tech issue?

LotusChild, congrats on three days, and I'm really glad you're here! SR is awesome. Stick around for a while.

Leviathan, you totally got my message. The significance of the small, incremental changes, over time. Yes! That's exactly what I was getting at in my original post. It's amazing, isn't it? It doesn't take genius, brilliance, talent, good genetics, an iron will, a stoic lifestyle, or any sort of hocus pocus to make small steps toward a goal or the development of a new habit. Just takes a desire to change, determination, and then actually taking those steps!
Old 07-24-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

"The stab of fear motivated me into action"...
Excellent post my friend!
Thank you.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by uncorked View Post
Thanks for your post, soberpotamous. I'm sure it will help a lot of people. For me, there weren't any huge changes, although I have addressed my negative thought patterns. Basically, I just had to get out of the habit of drinking starting every day at 5pm. I know that sounds simplistic but it has worked for me.
How did you "get out of the habit"?
I am learning but any specific examples would help me SO much!!
TY,
YOU ALL inspire me - despite my few steps backwards.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

OMG TY SOberpotamus. I am rereading this thread CUZ I only made it to 3 days and then had to go to a (IRISH) family reunion pool party. My whole family are drinkers some are recovering ALCOHOLICS and some are seemingly able to drink socially and be ok. Anyhow ...I didn't know much about triggers BUT WTF -seeing my family enjoy drinks of all kinds around the pool -TOTALLY triggered me. I didnt drink at that party but I went right back into my patterns of making sure to leave the party with enough time to hit a wine store. So now I am trying to learn more about triggers. I am addicted to alcohol and I want out.
SP you are amaze balls. I want to follow you as you inspire me and you are very eloquent with your writing.
Just reading your posts help me SO much and give me hope.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

LotusChild, in early recovery many of us found we had to say no to parties and social gatherings where alcohol was readily available. It is not a great idea to place yourself in those positions that early on. Later on, however, it won't be this way. After you feel more comfortable in sobriety, you would then be able to be around drinking with minimal issues.

This is meant to be a suggestion, not a mandate.

Triggers can be absolutely anything. Many of us drank 'just because.' For each person, cues to drink can be anything under the sun. Any old excuse will do.

One thing is for certain though -- if you remove drinking as an option, you're safe.