Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

4 months and 10 days sober after being on a 2-3 year bender

Notices

4 months and 10 days sober after being on a 2-3 year bender

Old 07-18-2016, 02:24 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Good news then--what's the plan for the next few weeks beyond AA?
Many hours in a day and night to manage. . . that's where the rubber hits the road.
Creating good habits and "go tos" when tempted are important.
I actually scheduled my days and nights so I always had something
to do because being at loose ends or bored was triggering for me.
I don't know if it is that way for you, but having things like books,
old movies, puzzles, a deck of cards, a blank journal can be really helpful.

You've been through a lot--I think some hypervigilance is understandable.
Outside of AA I'm going to be doing therapy once a week.
My drs and counselors in rehab thought that is a good start.
As far as idle time...geez...i don't think I'm going to have much of that.

I spent most of the weekend home and I don't think I had 10 minutes of idle time. Besides, I have alot of hobbies I really like doing. Art is a big one for me. I'm just getting back to it, and it has always been a huge outlet for me when I let it.

I also realize I need to spend a lot of time with my wife and daughter. We have 3 vacations almost back to back scheduled starting in August.

The other thing I did this weekend was buy a treadmill. So I'm going to try to get back to my old weight before i got really sick. I'm gonna start out slow because it's been a minute since these old joints have gone anywhere close to full speed. However, my goal is to get back to running about 45 minutes a day and do some yoga or swimming to complete a full hour.

Last night I didn't sleep at all. I was too excited about things. I'm sure that'll wear off around noon and I'll be like a zombie in group, but whatever. I'm fine with that today.

I hope everyone has a good day.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad to read this BD - welcome back
D
Old 07-20-2016, 02:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Welcome back BullDog! As I'm sure you already know, this is a great place to lean on. Hang in there!
Old 07-20-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
Outside of AA I'm going to be doing therapy once a week.
My drs and counselors in rehab thought that is a good start.
As far as idle time...geez...i don't think I'm going to have much of that.

I spent most of the weekend home and I don't think I had 10 minutes of idle time. Besides, I have alot of hobbies I really like doing. Art is a big one for me. I'm just getting back to it, and it has always been a huge outlet for me when I let it.

I also realize I need to spend a lot of time with my wife and daughter. We have 3 vacations almost back to back scheduled starting in August.

The other thing I did this weekend was buy a treadmill. So I'm going to try to get back to my old weight before i got really sick. I'm gonna start out slow because it's been a minute since these old joints have gone anywhere close to full speed. However, my goal is to get back to running about 45 minutes a day and do some yoga or swimming to complete a full hour.

Last night I didn't sleep at all. I was too excited about things. I'm sure that'll wear off around noon and I'll be like a zombie in group, but whatever. I'm fine with that today.

I hope everyone has a good day.
These all sounds like really positive steps BD--how wonderful to
get some significant time off to spend with you family!
Keep us updated on how it's going, and be sure to post here
if you feel tempted or are feeling stressed
Old 07-25-2016, 01:03 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

it's one of those nights where i find sleep to be elusive. i don't care though, i'm fine with that. i just feel so blessed to have my family right now.

ever since i got home, my daughter hasn't let me out of her sight. she asked if we could have a camp out in the living room. so, for the past few nights that's been where I've been . i've got a feeling the rest of the summer might be like this. if it makes her happy i'm cool with it. my wife is fine with it because i snore like a chainsaw anyway and it gives her some peace. haha

i don't really have a lot to say. after being in rehab, i feel like i've talked everything to death. is that weird? i used to be so ...i dunno...intense? maybe.

i just don't get "set off" like i used to. My drinking equation used to be lkike this: the cause was the problem...now the effect was to drink...and repeat the process. i really have had some good cause to lose my $#!t too. I got a $10,000 hospital bill yesterday. Good enough reason for the old me. Not anymore. Mostly because i know the majority of it was billed wrong and my out of pocket is less than half of that so... whatever.

my sponsor wanted me to share this last part. I discharged myself a day early from rehab because i didn't want to graduate or celebrate with anyone. The drs i had been working with asked me why. I had given this alot of thought.
I told them "I don't know if this is something that should be celebrated.
the rest of the world didn't get a piece of paper and a chip and a bunch of awkward hugs and applause for being decent human beings and not leaving a path of destruction where ever they went. Why should I?" So i signed my discharge papers and i got on my bike and rode home to put all of this behind me.
Anyway, so that was my weekend. it's almost 4am and i'm gonna try again to get some rest. Tomorrow I'm gonna take half the neighborhood to the pool and try to get a few errands done.
life is good. Have a good monday.