Notices

Big Life Changes Support Group Part 2

Old 08-24-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Yes. And still going through it....and I hope I always will be. The desire to do more, be more, discover more....the drive to be part of and contribute....and love and romance, all of these things are in play for me right now as well.

And it is definitely because I was stuck going nowhere for so long, and I have so much passion and ability...I think we all do. And I love this part, because although it's a bit scary, there are endless possibilities for us now.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:31 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  
now's the time

Thank you Venus. You always put the right perspective on it. <3
Old 08-26-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Nearly hundred years ago, women won the right to vote in the United States on Aug. 26, 1920. The anniversary is now known as National Women’s Equality Day. To celebrate, 13 quotes from inspiring females have been shared below:

1. “We've begun to raise daughters more like sons ... but few have the courage to raise our sons more like our daughters.” ― Gloria Steinem

2. “We must raise both the ceiling and the floor.” ― Sheryl Sandberg

3. “As a woman I have no country. As a woman my country is the whole world.” — Virginia Woolf

4. “A woman with a voice is by definition a strong woman. But the search to find that voice can be remarkably difficult.” — Melinda Gates

5. “How can we effect change in the world when only half of it is invited or feel welcome to participate in the conversation?” ― Emma Watson

6. “Do not put such unlimited power into the hands of the husbands. Remember all men would be tyrants if they could. If particular care and attention is not paid to the ladies we are determined to foment a rebellion, and will not hold ourselves bound by any laws in which we have no voice, or representation.” ― Abigail Adams

7. “It was we, the people; not we, the white male citizens; nor yet we, the male citizens; but we, the whole people, who formed the Union... men, their rights and nothing more; women, their rights and nothing less.” ― Susan B. Anthony

8. “How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes!” ― Maya Angelou

9. “The only way for a woman, as for a man, to find herself, to know herself as a person, is by creative work of her own. There is no other way.” ― Betty Friedan

10. “Society as a whole benefits immeasurably from a climate in which all persons, regardless of race or gender, may have the opportunity to learn respect, responsibility, advancement and remuneration based on ability.” – Sandra Day O’Connor

11. “You don't have to be anti-man to be pro-woman.” ― Jane Galvin Lewis

12. “I would have girls regard themselves not as adjectives but as nouns.” ― Elizabeth Cady Stanton

13. “The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand
Old 08-26-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  
Do your best

Love your new avatar x
Old 08-26-2016, 11:01 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Thank you, Wolfie.

Since today is Women's Equality day here, I wanted to find a strong, female hippo avatar. Just couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. This one will do.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Fantail, yes. I went through that urge to make up for some lost time. I think I'm still sort of there, too. Although I'm a tad more accepting of where I am in life. I absolutely feel there is not enough time in the day.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Do you remember the days that stretched endlessly, filled with pain and drunken misery....minutes that felt like hours.....terrified thoughts...how on earth can I make it through the night?

How incredible and wonderful and magical is it that now we cannot find enough time in the day because our lives are full and rich, and we have so much we yearn to accomplish.

What a blessing. ♥
Old 08-27-2016, 02:23 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Do you remember the days that stretched endlessly, filled with pain and drunken misery....minutes that felt like hours.....terrified thoughts...how on earth can I make it through the night?

How incredible and wonderful and magical is it that now we cannot find enough time in the day because our lives are full and rich, and we have so much we yearn to accomplish.

What a blessing. ♥
Thank You for this.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Well said, Suze.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

I gotta say it... l love my job!! I am kicking butt. I am doing really well now. It's all coming together. I finished at 3 p.m. today. They are all impressed with how quickly I've progressed. Feels really good to be good at this job. And I love the history of the USPS. Pretty interesting stuff.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

I'm glad things are going so well with the job Jenn--
Are you still on probation or have you made it through that yet?

Love the avatar too
Old 08-27-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Thanks, Hawkeye.

I am still in that 90-day period. It's 90 actual working days. So, for me, that's Saturdays plus all the extra days I sub for the regular carrier, plus all my training days. It takes a while to get 90 this way.

So, yeah, I'm still treading carefully.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  

We knew you would rock this job J.

I cannot imagine you not doing anything well for that matter; you always invest yourself completely; it is very inspiring.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  
now's the time

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post

What a blessing. ♥
Yes. I do. Thank you for saying this. I'm so glad we're all gone from that place.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with the sentiment of feeling there is not enough time for everything I'd like to do. That is the complete reverse of how I felt while drinking.

Jennie, I'm so glad you love the job and are doing so well!
Old 08-28-2016, 08:00 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  
now's the time

So glad the job is going so well J!!
Old 08-29-2016, 09:17 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Thanks, Fantail. How was the date?
Old 08-29-2016, 09:18 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Just got back from a health screening. They took blood and blood pressure and measurements. Apparently, I am healthy as a horse. In fact, I was the only person there today in the 'healthy' or normal range, I was told by the nurse. I felt pretty good walking out of there. Especially after getting worked up and nearly hyperventilating over the fingerprick. I am such a wuss about needles. Always have been. Can't help it.

I guess it pays off to eat burgers, ice-cream and chocolate and sit in from of the computer all day?? (Ok, so maybe it's the occasional running I do, lol.)
Old 08-29-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

That's awesome Jenni love ~ and I hear you on the needles. I'm totally fine with them....yeah right.....I pretend to be all brave and then pass out....boom....I drop like a sack of potatoes. It's very dramatic.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Ha! Suze, that is dramatic. My cousin would faint when she first got her period. Now that's funny.

What helps me is when I sit down and get ready for the shot, I say ... 'Omg, I am so nervous. I really hate needles!', letting out a huge exhale. This somehow takes away some of the pressure. I mean, it's only a little relief, but seems just enough to keep me from totally flipping out. So I googled today and apparently this is advice given to those of us with needle phobias ... to talk with the nurse or someone right before. It really helps. Then, I definitely turn my head and do not look! And I think about books I'm reading, or articles, or anything at all.