Notices

Drunks remind me of me

Old 06-26-2016, 07:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drunks remind me of me

I don't do it often but, when I hang around people drinking to even a slight excess I seem to get bored with the atmosphere very quickly. Thus unless it's a very important event such as my daughters wedding reception etc etc I prefer not to go.

I use to drink a lot with my neighbor next door on his back porch. Now occasionally I hear the guys over there drinking with their loud mouths just a flapping with no where to go. They are average guys but, when they get to drinking they think of themselves as mighty great in their own minds.

Kind of remind me of me in my old drinking days.

MB
Old 06-26-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can't cope with it anymore either MB. For some reason in early sobriety I thought it was really important to be able to sit in the pub sober with friends who were drinking. I did it fine but man it got old quick. Drunk people are dull. I hardly ever hang out in drinking places now. I play gigs in pubs sometimes but the band are always sober (enough anyway), and my partner works in a pub so he is even less likely than me to wanna hang out in one. Absolutely no one's personality improves with alcohol.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Glad them days are behind us both
Old 06-26-2016, 09:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
Glad them days are behind us both
No reason to hang out in a barber shop

unless we want to get a haircut.

A nice sober day wished for all,
Bob
Old 06-26-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hardly ever go anywhere so don't see too many drunks. But my neighbors across the street like to congregate on their front porch drinking beer and getting louder and louder.

Makes me think of the bad ol' days when I'd be drinking all day...
Old 06-26-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This post just made me realize the reason behind my husband's blank stare/"Would you just shut up?" face when I would get on one of my wine-fueled monologues on world events and the like...Hmmm I thought I sounded brilliant. Guess not
Old 06-26-2016, 09:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I seem to be hyper sensitive to people that are drinking. I like or even dislike people just the way that are. What I really have a problem with are the people I like sober who get obnoxious after a few drinks. I agree with others alcohol does not help anyone's personality.

It still makes me cringe a bit thinking I was that person for a lot of years
Old 06-26-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've never really hung out with hardcore drunks...ironic Aside from very sloppy drunk people that have lost all ability to read social queues (like shut up or get away from me) I find people that are drinking and having fun to be funny. Even funnier when I'm sober because I can just sit there and giggle....and feel really glad that I'm not at the center of it. I dunno, doesn't bother me. But again, I don't really have interaction with heavy drinkers. And if I could get silly drunk every once in a while and not have it ruin my life? I'd do it. So I don't judge.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
High on Life

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
I've never really hung out with hardcore drunks...ironic Aside from very sloppy drunk people that have lost all ability to read social queues (like shut up or get away from me) I find people that are drinking and having fun to be funny. Even funnier when I'm sober because I can just sit there and giggle....and feel really glad that I'm not at the center of it. I dunno, doesn't bother me. But again, I don't really have interaction with heavy drinkers. And if I could get silly drunk every once in a while and not have it ruin my life? I'd do it. So I don't judge.
I have actually had the same experience. Sloppy drunks are just annoying especially when they get in that "I love you man" mood, but a few buzzed or slightly intoxicated people at a party can actually liven things up and can make it a fun atmosphere.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zjw

id unno if it reminds me of my olden days but the few times i was aorund it i found there behaivior obnoxious annoying and rude. I thought ugg I think i was just like that at one time ::Facepalm:: why didnt someone point it otu to me then it hink people probably did but then gave up trying after a while.

i just cant stomach being around it anymore. lucky for me its rare i'm around that sort of thing.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post

Sloppy drunks are just annoying especially when they get in that "I love you man"
Reminds me of a time a while back when my drinking close to drunk neighbor and I had an argument. Right after the argument he wanted to give me a man hug. Honestly, l could have lived on very well without it.

At times it's just the booze talking
or the booze hugging.

MB
Old 09-27-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was fourturnate and never ended up living on the streets as a homeless drunk. Yet, when I often see them I think to myself -- they remind me of me back in my drinking days.

For the drunk drinking in the highest of places or the drunk drinking in the lowest of places makes not much difference. Both will be saddened in time.

M-Bob
Old 09-27-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Catch 22

All I think when I see a boozy party is how I miss it. I know my drinking days are over but unfortunately I will always wish it was not.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Darwinia View Post
All I think when I see a boozy party is how I miss it. I know my drinking days are over but unfortunately I will always wish it was not.
I think we all remember the "good" times we had when we were drinking because we all did for a period of time. However, our addiction conveniently forgets the bad parts - the hangovers, the drunk texting/facebook messaging, waking up and not remembering what you did or who you did it with, all that other stuff. We cannot have one without the other as alcoholics..it's a package deal.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's a lot to do with the amount of drink in a person, not just the presence of drink. Don't forget there's a lot of people out there who can drink socially, who actually only have one or two to take the edge off, and typically loosen up a little and ARE a bit more fun/socially relaxed.

Drunks are bores, introverts coming out of their shells a wee bit is typically entertaining and informative.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
sober style

It never ceases to boggle my mind how you're still so nostalgic about this poison and the life you had with it.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I was speaking of Alcoholics. For these ones one or two or a few drinks is never enough. Many will drink morning noon and night. Not a fun thing to watch or be involved in.
Mountainman
Old 09-27-2016, 05:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This seems like dangerous thinking Darwinia. I know for me this is not true. Drinking used to be fun, until it wasn't. Nobody would be here on SR if drinking didn't cause them some kind of heartache.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kittycat3 View Post
Nobody would be here on SR if drinking didn't cause them some kind of heartache.
That's true for me. Much heartache for myself and the ones close to me.

Actually, I have not even once entertained the thought of drinking since I took my last drink coming up on 9 years ago now. My last two outings were horrendous. I ended up in trouble with everyone, wife, family, friends, neighbors and even once again with the judge.

I will never forget the burn.

M-Bob
Old 09-29-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thread title made me chuckle.. because as I said in a recent thread of my own, I had to go to a wedding reception.. We left after dinner and before cake (my date was 90) but by then a couple of her nephews were definitely inebriated. She said to me as soon as we got in the car: "Why do all these men come up to me and kiss me? Do they think I'm gonna go with them???" They are all somehow married in to the family, of which she is the matriarch,but she is legally blind and has Alzheimer's so they could have been anybody!!! Even she had a glass of wine, but I actually did not feel left out at all. Just bemused, wondering if I ever sounded like those guys...