Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Russian Roulette (courtesy of user dangerDrinking)

Notices

Old 05-26-2016, 06:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is not from me, but I really wanted to quote this statement that really resonated with me:

Originally Posted by dangerDrinking View Post
What I DO fear, is that once I drink there, it's green light for me to drink at some point in the near future. It's like playing Russian Roulette for me and I just cannot risk it anymore.
That's such a good way to put it...whenever we as addicts pick up a drink, we are literally playing Russian Roulette. We have no idea which drink will be the one to kill us. We would never willingly put a gun to our heads and pull the trigger to see if that's the one... I am going to view picking up a drink in the same way from now on.

Thanks, dangerDrinking!!
Old 05-26-2016, 06:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hear hear. Ditto for me, there may have been times when I kept it to just 2-3 drinks, but I could never predict whether it could be that or a total binge. Not worth the risk! Life is so much better with the safer bet of abstinence and sobriety!
Old 05-26-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah no idea why i didnt just die in my sleep at the very least so many times.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

That's what got me every time too...assuming I was somehow back under "control", but every single time I always returned to every day binge drinking. Acceptance of the fact that I could never, ever have even one drink was the only thing that worked.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Same here....about 1 out of every 6 experiments (1-2 drinks) went horribly wrong. You never know when that one time....there is 1 in the chamber!!
Old 05-26-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by whiteturtle View Post
This is not from me, but I really wanted to quote this statement that really resonated with me:

That's such a good way to put it...whenever we as addicts pick up a drink, we are literally playing Russian Roulette. We have no idea which drink will be the one to kill us. We would never willingly put a gun to our heads and pull the trigger to see if that's the one... I am going to view picking up a drink in the same way from now on.

Thanks, dangerDrinking!!
Yes relapse is a dangerous game. Your never know which is the "loaded" drink. Yet we alcoholics can rationalise it away, "it will never happen to me. I'll handle it this time". In the face of all the evidence, this is plain insanity.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whiteturtle View Post

Thanks, dangerDrinking!!
I do heed the warning -- thank you.

It's like driving poison
it will kill me sooner or later.

Mountainmanbob