Notices

Tramadol Cured my chronic alcoholism

Old 05-25-2016, 04:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Would anyone know or had some experience in different types on antidepressants? If so any that have similar antidepressant qualities the same as Tramadol? I was reading an article somewhere recently that effexor XR was very similar
Old 05-25-2016, 04:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by ryan9872340972 View Post
Would anyone know or had some experience in different types on antidepressants? If so any that have similar antidepressant qualities the same as Tramadol? I was reading an article somewhere recently that effexor XR was very similar
This is something you need to speak with your doctor about. Asking for or giving medical advice is against forum policy.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
This is something you need to speak with your doctor about. Asking for or giving medical advice is against forum policy.
Sorry Scott, wont happen again.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:25 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Tramadol worked on my alchol cravings too:)

Originally Posted by ryan9872340972 View Post
I am new to this forum and I just wanted to share my story and battle with alcoholism and how I have managed to quit drinking and possibly hear your thoughts on it.

Firstly ill start with a short history of my alcoholic past.

The first time I tried alcohol I was roughly 13yrs of age and from that first sip I instantly loved it and adored it . My father left my mother when I was a child and I tracked him down around this time and spoke with him on the phone, he was incredibly nasty to me I distinctly recall him saying to me " all you are to me is c*m in your mothers c*nt" (very sorry for graphic words) this effected me deeply , I cried for quiet sometime after this. I attended boarding school at a prestigious private school in a country town and would sneak out at nights to go to the bottle shop and get someone of age to purchase me a 2 casks of wine and then take it back to boarding school, to get me through the week. I would drink before school , during school and after school. I was eventually expelled after getting caught too many times.

I ended up finishing my grade 12 at tafe and during that year I attended many parties with children of the same age, I would always be the first one to arrive and the last one to leave. Loving my booze and living for the booze. I was known as the **** head.

I eventually joined the royal Australian navy as a marine technician, and duxed the class . The navy culture thrived around excessive drinking so I loved it. I would have relationships with many women but most would end as they didnt like my chronic drinking. At this point in time I would wake , pour a 500ml glass of stanley Chardonay 13% and skull it within seconds, I would drink x2 of these just to start the day. I would never sip wine I would always drink it that way. I love this feeling, and the effect afterwards, to me this feeling is the best on earth. I would then goto work drunk in the military, finish my day. And then leave work and then skull a glass of wine as soon as I got home and continue to drink into oblivion until I passed out and then repeated this daily. By this point my mother and sister , basically wanted nothing to do with me as they were ashamed to be related to an alcoholic.

I was eventually caught out after co-workers smelt the booze on my breath and I failed multiple breath tests and drunken fights. I was sent to military rehab (the tank) , I passed the 6 weeks in rehab, but within hours of leaving I picked up my first drink and the routine started again. One evening I was called into base and was caught out by the Navy Coxswain (head policeman within navy) that I was drunk, I was absolutely hammered at the time. I punched him and knocked him on his arse an subsequently that was the end of my military days.

Then the real drinking began. I was a civilian now meaning no more barriers to hold me from my beloved wine sculling and drinking abuse. Im trying to keep this story short, sorry if im raving on. Anyways the drinking got worse, I ended up joining an outlaw motorcycle club (which I wont name), because there were parties all the time that went for days , and my drinking suited this. In this time I had multiple RBT's which I failed, I was charged with grievous bodily harm and multiple assaults, whilst drunk... leading to a small time in jail, failed relationships, basically just destructive behavior for years. My liver was absolutely hammered. I was hospitalised for stomach pain around this time and all of my organs were swollen from drinking. The surgeon spoke to me and said "if you dont stop drinking I will be looking at needing a liver transplant in a year or so" This was a wake up call , but not enough to stop my drinking addiction.

Then one day I was involved in accident which caused me to have a serious back injury I was prescribed Tramadol 200mg x2 caps a day, morning and night. After taking this medication for a month approx I suddenly felt happier and didnt have any desire to drink at all. I left the motorcycle club and have no contact with anyone associated with it and basically realized what I had become , because of drinking. . I was drinking 6 litres of wine per day at this point for the last 5 years and after taking tramadol for a month or so, had no desire to drink and was completely sober.

To me this is an absolute miracle and I have been on tramadol for my back for the last 23 months as it keeps me sober. To me sobriety is the most important thing in my life. But I am scared because tramadol is prescribed for pain, not to stop drinking, so I am scared that one day I wont be prescribed anymore and then my chronic alcohol urges will start again. I have heard that tramadol acts as a anti-depressant,but this inst officially recognized and it is not prescribed for this. I have come to realize I have been depressed all of my life and tramadol has possibly worked as an anti-depressant for me, therefore giving me no desire to drink. Maybe I could just switch to an official anti-depressant, but in saying this... again I am scared to swap in case I relapse. To anyone who is sober after being a chronic drinker...as you know sobriety is very very important to us. I had a liver function test done recently and my liver is healing and the numbers have almost dropped by half.

Well I would love to hear your thoughts as I havent really shared my sobriety story with many people as im not sure on their reaction. Some may call this switching addictions, if so taking 2 tablets per day and staying sober and productive and not dying is well worth it.

These days, I am easy going, nice natured, I love to help people and volunteer, I have my own nice large home, im studying have made great friendships and just love life. I hope I have kept my history short enough for you, i tried

Tramadol cured my drinking and saved my life. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE TRAMADOL WORKED ON ALCOHOL CRAVINGS.

I want to know how you are today?
Are you still using tramadol or did you move from tramadol to ssri meds?
Old 09-10-2018, 10:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to the forum tramalyf. The post you replied too is over 2 years old and the members that posted the information you quoted have not been active since that time, so you likely will not get a response from them.

There may be others who have experience but please remember our medical advice rule as well.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I have no idea why tramadol worked for you. I tried it and it did nothing for me but Abilify maintena injections cured me and that was considered a weird post .......so from one weird poster to another good luck!!!
Old 09-30-2018, 10:38 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Welcome to the forum tramalyf. The post you replied too is over 2 years old and the members that posted the information you quoted have not been active since that time, so you likely will not get a response from them.

There may be others who have experience but please remember our medical advice rule as well.
It's a sad reality that we have members who are not with us anymore.

It makes me kind of depressed.

I hope that each of them is sober and okay.

After I didn't post for 2 - 3 weeks a couple of months ago, largely due to back-to-back vacations, I got a message from SR when I logged on that everyone hopes I was doing fine and that I would rejoin the forum.

I think that is a really nice effort on the part of SR.

We're all in this together.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:49 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Good for you I say! Many people on this site are unable to string any kind of sober time together. Yes Tramadol might be addictive but as we say in AA we don't have the monopoly on cures and we are not Doctors. Please don't go down the Psychiatrist/Psychologist self indulgent rabbit hole. You are sober, you are helping others, you are productive. Bill W the founder of AA would be proud - isn't that what we are all trying to achieve in recovery. Let's not split hairs about anti depressants or in fact ANY prescribed medication. Well done!

Many doctors would tell you - if a pill is working (so what of it's primary indication) keep taking it.

I am glad for you that you are free of evil alcohol and long may it last.