Notices

Addict thinking strikes again...and it lost

Old 05-19-2016, 04:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Addict thinking strikes again...and it lost

I had a root canal today. I am boarder line phobic of the dentist so I did my little daydream thing and it went fine. She sits me up after it's over with and tells me she is giving me a prescription for pain meds. (I wasn't in pain when I went in there. No abscess or anything just a dead nerve) I am still a bit spaced out from going to my happy place and the stress of being there so when she tells me I am getting pain meds I get super excited about that. Way, way too excited and I look at the script to see how many I will get. 10, I will get 10. She gave me these before when I was in pain and the stupid things did nothing. I bet if I took 5 they would do something. Whaaat????? I tell myself it's no big deal because I never was into pills. They are not that strong and when they are gone then that will be it. I put the script in my purse, pay the bill and start driving home.

On the drive home my mind clears out and I tell myself that I am not comfortable filling that prescription considering my way too happy ass reaction to getting it. Again I tell myself it's just 10 pills so maybe I get to space out on the couch twice guilt free (and fall asleep easy) and that's the end of it. It's not like I could get addicted that fast and start doing illegal things to get more pills. I would never let it get that far. You know what is perfectly legal? Buying Jack Daniels. OK so that's where this was going all along. Abuse some pain meds and when they are gone hit the whiskey.

The script is laying in about a dozen pieces in my garbage right now. The novocaine has worn off and the tooth is fine.

I'm doing really great in my sobriety. Taking care of this problem was one of my finest hours ever and I am proud and grateful. This AV attack was purely opportunistic. It was also quick and very convincing. This is how it ends with me vs the AV. The AV ALWAYS gets ratted out.

Have a good night all.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great story. Thank you. I hope you feel OK tomorrow too.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job, Silentrun! I had a very similar experience recently with the dentist ... the AV seems to love seizing that opportunity. Great job ratting out the AV.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

((((SR))))good job! Isn't it amazing how once we've been able to seperate ourselves from SlothBrain, The Beast you can see the game plan so clearly!

Love from Lenina
Old 05-19-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am so impressed by, and proud of, you silentrun.

silentrun - 1,000

AV - zip

Isn't recovery great!!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2016, 06:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job!

It is crazy how quickly our brain can start to rationalize things. Like oh it is only 10, oh I can take a bunch at once, oh it isn't illegal, oh I can sleep better, not like anything can happen in 2 days, well drinking is legal, etc. etc.

You did a great job of assessing the situation for what it truly was and acting accordingly. Woot woot!
Old 05-19-2016, 09:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Awesome!
Old 05-19-2016, 09:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
now's the time

Really wise behavior. Thanks for the good example.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats great silentrun

I had no pain after root canals so hopefully you'll be fine too

D
Old 05-19-2016, 10:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations Silentrun
Old 05-23-2016, 09:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Update: I was fine Friday but woke up Saturday at 2 am with pain and swelling. It progressively got worse until I finally went to the urgent care on Sunday. I now have enough antibiotics for a small village and it is getting better. Some pain pills would have been nice.
I have been pretty lucky in my life and only a few times have I been prescribed anything. It is one of those fears I have that sooner or later I will have surgery and for sure I will screw up and abuse the pills and end up in the same situation again. A person can drive themselves insane trying to cover every possible scenario. My AV took a shot at me and what worked is what has always worked. Don't let it whisper BS into your ear until it makes you believe it to be true. Tell someone what is going on inside your head.

On the way to the clinic I questioned myself what I would do if prescribed more because it goes right to the pharmacy there. I told myself first sign of BS they would all go down the toilet. You know what, I believe that is exactly what I would do.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Nice work Silentrun. It seems like pain med abuse/addiction is a massive problem that has snowballed in the US. Glad you were able to get something to help instead of those. I had a couple of procedures a few years back and told the doc I didn't want any prescription pain meds either. Ibuprofen and ice and rest did the trick just fine.

The AV wants you to think there's a magic pill that will just make it go away, but in the end the pain is only temporary and there's way too many possible ramifications to taking the meds. Look at how long people have to taper off of some of the pain meds after they get used to them...months.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you had complications but I'm glad it's ok now.

D
Old 05-23-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
zjw

good job.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
quat

Hope and think the antibiotics should do the trick in relatively short time. Infection is usually the cause of dental pain and root canal severs the nerve, not that there isn't discomfort from the actual 'work' done on the tissue.
Great job ratting out the AV and stoping it cold!
I had a recent little dust up, and the little rat bastard lost, yeah us !
Hope all gets well sooner than later, btw you da man, girl
Old 05-23-2016, 10:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Hope and think the antibiotics should do the trick in relatively short time. Infection is usually the cause of dental pain and root canal severs the nerve, not that there isn't discomfort from the actual 'work' done on the tissue.
Great job ratting out the AV and stoping it cold!
I had a recent little dust up, and the little rat bastard lost, yeah us !
Hope all gets well sooner than later, btw you da man, girl
What was your dust up? How did you handle it? I know under 5 years is considered early sobriety and people are still really vulnerable to relapse in that time period. I can't imagine why I would ever want to go back to being a drunk. Then something like this happens and I can see why people get sucked back in.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
quat

Receiving a medical diagnosis( I have a post in the secular connection), threw me a little, well more than a little.
Waiting to go home after the appointment , I ended up in a place where I had spent time after my daughter's birth ,over twenty years ago, drinking "excusably", meaning I wasn't trying to quit then and given what we were dealing with at the time , it wasn't outwardly problematic.
It's a tavern and as soon as I opened the door I was looking at bartender pouring a row of whiskey shots and I started to seriously consider all the crap the AV was throwing at me.
Ending up having a great lunch outside. Was maybe not shocked that the nearly silent AV came roaring back, but a little scared how convincing and strong the pull can be even if just for a moment or two. Something to keep in mind , the self pity aspect "look how terrible this is, no one would even blame you, just this once today " ect. For a moment or two the No Matter What voice gets a lot quieter and harder to 'hear', so yeah whether it's a consequence of early sobriety or perhaps more likely 'anytime' sobriety, it can be tough to get through.