Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Does non alcoholic wine count as "alcohol free".It says 0.05% for the whole bottle...

Notices

Does non alcoholic wine count as "alcohol free".It says 0.05% for the whole bottle...

Old 04-28-2016, 06:06 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I think the reason why people are asking you if you have a plan is take me for example. I quit drinking when I was pregnant without a problem. Thinking I could go back to moderated drinking. Within two years after baby was born I was a daily drinker . Which quickly turned into a round the clock drinker. I detoxed myself 3 times in the space of a couple months. I didn't have a plan. So I went right back to drinking. My entire life fell apart and I ran away... drank myself stupid, detoxed myself and went to AA but no plan beyond that stayed sobe about a month. I convinced myself I could control it. So what started out as a drink or two here or there turned into daily drinking and I was round the clock drinking within weeks.
I then went to detox before Christmas after two months of heavy drinking again. I stayed sober for two weeks through the worst Christmas and hell ish weeks of my life. No plan. I hit the bottle hard and fast again for another number of weeks and it took me 3 weeks to taper off to my first real plan and sober date of Feb 14th. I lasted 6.5 weeks sober and relapsed and have spent most of this month trying to taper off.
I need a better plan.

The thing is... you get used to living a drunk life, just replacing alcohol beverages with NA drink is not necessarily enough for most of us. Having a solid plan to fall back on is what helps to assure and affirm many of us in our path of sobriety.

I can decide to stop drinking all I want. I'm completely incapable of making it stick without a good, all encompassing plan.

I don't have much to say on NA beers and wine other than I think they taste yuck.
I can tell you that having a good plan will help you stay sober.
Good luck and I wish you the best
Old 04-28-2016, 07:11 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

very helpful for me to get to clarity in all kinds of situations: look very honestly at my motives/desires/hopes/why's/fears.

that's where my answers are.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:25 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

In my sponsorship line if you drink NA beer, wine, etc., you have relapsed and your sobriety date resets. If you smoke pot or take prescription pills in any form other than exactly prescribed on the label than you have relapsed. Works well for everyone I know who is serious about staying sober and being happy in life.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:05 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Looking back, I can't think of a single person I've ever come across with a significant alcohol problem who quit and then remained sober despite drinking NA wine/beer. Doesn't mean they don't exist, but they must be fairly rare. All those other people who recommend not drinking stuff that tastes just like the stuff you're trying to quit, are communicating community wisdom, but everyone is free to learn their own truths.

Imagine someone trying to quit weed, switching to "ultra light weed" that looks and smells and tastes just like weed, but doesn't provide a buzz. Sooner or later, the reptile will win and convince her that she might as well smoke the real stuff, and meanwhile she looks and probably feels pretty silly salivating over a bowl of fake weed.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:07 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

In the end you know what you can mentally handle.

I am a recovered heroin addict and I don't inject water or fake heroin because guess what, if I did, I would most likely say "this isn't doing it for me, just one more time"

I saw mentioned above that you are one day sober and already trying to substitute real wine for NA wine. Does that seem healthy or like the actions of someone who truly wants to be sober MORE THAN ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING else is this world?

Also, recovery plans are really helpful and can be the difference between success and relapse. Drinking NA wine or beer seems to be just another way to hold onto your addiction when right now you need to be fighting for your life or it won't happen
Old 04-29-2016, 01:47 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
SS,

I drink NA champagne all the time -- no trigger at all. Also NA mojitos etc. Don't like NA or beer. But others have had different experiences, so I think the question is whether it is worth the risk. I had drunk the NA stuff when I was pregnant and knew it would be OK.

But, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, each of us knows our motivation in doing what we do, and as long as your intent is to stay sober and this helps, I think only you can decide.

I want to say about your charity gal, I have met just her type in London and I am with you -- forget the resentment stuff, those folks are just rude.
At the end of the day I am a rational adult with a very successful professional career, which I wish to remain success by ditching anything that could potentially ruin it for me. They spoke to me like I was a bum. I live in a beautifully spotless home (I have an OCD cleaning habit). I am clean, neat and tidy in appearance. Yet I was spoken to like I am a piece of dirt, just because I expressed an interest in receiving intervention. I don't know who made her God, but she seemed to act superior because she doesn't have a problem and I do. Well in life we ALL have our problems. Everyone. I just don't choose to take them out on others with an attitude problem. She did. She also had the audacity to ask me why I felt I had to have help with detox. So I am not even going there. I am going to see the people I know can help me, as I now have that in place.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:50 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
Looking back, I can't think of a single person I've ever come across with a significant alcohol problem who quit and then remained sober despite drinking NA wine/beer. Doesn't mean they don't exist, but they must be fairly rare. All those other people who recommend not drinking stuff that tastes just like the stuff you're trying to quit, are communicating community wisdom, but everyone is free to learn their own truths.

Imagine someone trying to quit weed, switching to "ultra light weed" that looks and smells and tastes just like weed, but doesn't provide a buzz. Sooner or later, the reptile will win and convince her that she might as well smoke the real stuff, and meanwhile she looks and probably feels pretty silly salivating over a bowl of fake weed.
We were just experimenting with different options though. Tonight is soda stream night. Who knows. I might like that better
Old 04-29-2016, 01:51 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AdelineRose View Post
In the end you know what you can mentally handle.

I am a recovered heroin addict and I don't inject water or fake heroin because guess what, if I did, I would most likely say "this isn't doing it for me, just one more time"

I saw mentioned above that you are one day sober and already trying to substitute real wine for NA wine. Does that seem healthy or like the actions of someone who truly wants to be sober MORE THAN ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING else is this world?

Also, recovery plans are really helpful and can be the difference between success and relapse. Drinking NA wine or beer seems to be just another way to hold onto your addiction when right now you need to be fighting for your life or it won't happen

Recovery plan in hand sweet. 12 week therapy SORTED *high 5*
Old 04-29-2016, 01:54 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

If it has even a small percentage on the bottle, I won't risk it.

The thing is there is more to recovery than just changing around the substances. Alcoholism comes in people, not bottles. There is a whole set of behaviours and attitudes that come with it, Well illustrated in this thread, and they are the things that must change if we are to be successful.

Here's an illustration of a really funny behaviour, the automatic arm. When I was newly sober, a bunch of us newly sober alcs got together for a social evening/ dance kinda thing. We all brought ample supplies of our new soft drink of choice. With soft drinks, of course you don't need to drink as much, but our elbows didn't know that. Everyone standing around, can in hand, just like drinking days. Elbow frequently delivery can to mouth. Boy we got through some soft drink, and we pretty much all ended up uncomfortably bloated. Old habits take a while to go.

Seriously, there are much more important things for a newly recovering alcoholic to do than worry about what the next drink will be.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:17 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Gotta,

I always love your posts -- so wise, and yet not taking yourself too seriously.

Thanks for being part of this.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:05 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Grateful

I love beer! So much so that I drank 12-15 of them a day. The first time I got sober I decided to drink a NA beer when out with friends so I would have something in my hand. That was fine. Next time I went to the grocery store I decided to buy a 6 pack to keep in the fridge in case I wanted one now and then. The thing was, I NEVER drank A beer now and then. I ended up drinking 4 of them the first night, and all that did was **** me off.

I didn't run out and get the real thing that night, but I did relapse a few months later. Come to think of it I was probably already relapsing mentally pounding down NA beers at home alone.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:42 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

None of us can tell you which path is right, but if you have experienced repeated relapses...you know its best not to tempt fate in any way.

One of the hardest things about Alcoholism is accepting that, even while at your best, you still cant control it and it can destroy everything.

Hey, I just want to sample a bottle of that fancy beer. I just want to be able to have a Mimosa or two at that "bottomless Mimosa" brunch. Im not trying to get drunk, I just want the flavor.

Non Alcoholic will do...and that is in someway mimicking old behavior and can quickly lead back. I use to, for so many years, hate how black and white the whole alcoholism thing was. Then at some point, you realize the accuracy of it all if you reach that point. Those measures that may have seemed so petty and trivial at one point start to make more sense.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Introspectator

IMO...if I thought that I had to seek NA whatever, then I have already started to relapse. But that's me.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

What does it taste like? I can't imagine it being any different from grape juice.