Notices

Still not sleeping well, or much.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Do you have smartphone or tablet? I was just looking up sleep apps and there's all kinds of one's for free out there with good ratings. I think anything is worth a fair shot sleepie deserves her sleep! (Along with everyone else struggling to catch their zzz's)
Old 04-26-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

This may not work for everyone but I find the noises here can be very soothing
https://mynoise.net/noiseMachines.php

there are lots of free sounds
D
Old 04-26-2016, 09:36 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Well guys something here ought to help. I have been turning the fan on lately to drown out little irritating noises. They drive me nuts! I have to be really comfortable too. I hate that, I feel for some reason that I ought to be able to just sleep and not be so high maintenance about it. Though I was thinking last night, I had this memory of how I used to struggle to sleep in high school despite being physically exhausted from being a competitive swimmer and runner- and I can tell you, swimming laps for practice and time will exhaust a person. But still, no sleep!
Old 04-26-2016, 09:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey sleepie I go through cycles too.
Like you I can fall asleep watching a movie or in the daytime, but lay awake all night.
I would often fall asleep around 5 am.
I'm ok now, not sure why- it just seems to crop up out of nowhere.
I also sleep with a fan and ear plugs- even the slightest sound will keep me up
Old 04-26-2016, 10:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi jsbodhi. It seems to be that I always want to be awake at night!
Old 04-26-2016, 11:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Do your best

Try D's Link Sleepie

you can reset your bodyclock but I know your just stressed out which is understandable I'm a grumpy so & so with no sleep so I get it

have you thought about earbuds to drown out the noise & when you try D's Link wear headphones you won't hear the noise that's irritating you

Thinking of you
Old 04-26-2016, 11:35 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi SW good to see you...!

Yes a little gentle background noise and a reset- a few years back (darn time flies) I was making myself get up very early and then I'd easily fall asleep rather early. Maybe it was 2 years ago.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:55 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Do your best

When I was 4 months sober my insomnia was so severe, so I really do understand x if you remember I said I used to get really vivid dreams and il always remember you were for me there once when I was a bit shoock up from a particular disturbing dream doesn't sound like much but it really helped that day

keep trying to reset your clock it will happen eventually xxx
Old 04-27-2016, 08:47 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
under new management

Hi sleepie! I am another fellow poor sleeper I feel chronically tired because I wake up frequently throughout the night and also have problems with just waking up way too early and I end up getting out of bed because I am so awake .

I also have a fan to create white noise and I feel like I get more sleep by less time in bed. I have done all the sleep hygiene suggestions, have been in a few overnight sleep studies, all to no avail. I sleep slightly better since I quit smoking several years ago and I am sure quitting drinking has helped a bit for me, too.

One suggestion I will throw into the ring is to set a strict bedtime and get out of bedtime and really stick to it, sleep or no sleep. Make it no more that 8 hours so your body knows you are serious about making those 8 hours count

Hugs, Rose
Old 04-27-2016, 01:47 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Do your best

Spk to you my tomorrow Sleepie goodnight all
Old 04-27-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

How's it going sleepie?

It took me hours to fall asleep last night and I was dealing with bad anxiety too.
I refilled my rX today but I don't want to rely on those.
Glad you mentioned the fan... I'm going to try that too.

Hope sone thing is helping!
Old 04-27-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I slept a little better but plenty of nightmares. Been wavering at the edge of a depression as well.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
zjw

what is it do you think that keeps you from sleeping does your mind race? or are you nerves just not calming or both?

me my mind would race but I think i've gotten that one under control if it starts up i tell myself these are just thoughts and no sense giving htem attention at this hour etc... I only have this problem once in a while anymore.

I also couldnt get comfortable at all after 2 mattresses and trial and error i now sleep on the floor i dunno but its working for me.

Restless legs still gets me and i get really twitchy. CBD oil seems to help me there.

I also used to just not be calm at bedtime but now i have a routine that kinda winds me down some.

Kids waking me up was always an issue but thats not so bad anymore.

early in sobriety forget it I just laid there climbed the walls with every and any problem.

Now i got 2 issues left. 1 I'll just lay there unable to sleep i'm calm and all totally fine just cant sleep. 2 I wake up to pee like 2189321893219 times a night!! I'm trying something new now tho no fluids after 6pm last night was a dud still was up 1293892138921 times. We'll see how tonight goes.

just trying to toss ideas out there. I knwo it can be hard. a few weeks ago i got like 5 solid hours i was like Floored I felt so dang good after! if i could get that even a few times a week wow the difference it would make.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Oh geez well... same thing that made me drink keeps me from sleeping. I really cannot make peace with the fact that life screwed me over in many, many ways that make it just impossible to enjoy life. I mean let's see... tic disorder, ugliness, LD, high myopia and retinal disease, hair pulling disorder, horrible upbringing... any one of those things alone would wreck a person enough not to be able to easily enjoy life. All of it though? I mean my entire life I have never, ever been comfortable or at ease with myself much less enjoyed myself. Having to hide bald spots on my head because I pulled my hair out (it's called trichotillomania) and then just shaving my head for years made me feel horrible about how I looked. I never felt feminine or pretty, not once, ever. Going through your entire life as a female and never being able to have a cute hair style or even have hair destroys a person. And now I am prematurely gray and thin because of pulling it so I look ugly and aged. Nobody I know has grey hair like I do even though they might be 10 years older than me and it is extremely depressing.

That affected my social life, my dating life and even my job choices and positions. it really isn't something people understand unless they go through it and that is also very alienating...

Having horrible high myopia and retinal disease made me a horrible anxious wreck fearing the day I'd go blind. It is one of the reasons I started drinking years ago- I was so worried about it I couldn't even focus on anything. And again, people do not understand unless they go through it. And the couple times a week I have to wear my thick ugly glasses makes me want to die of shame and embarassment.

And, learning I have likely lived my whole life with an undiagnosed LD- well I can tell you none of that is easy. And then of course there is my awesome upbringing... what it boils down to is, all of this affects my self esteem and also of course my social life. And none of it can be changed with diet or supplements or any of that, I mean there is nothing I can do about trichotillomania or my awful myopia and I am helpless in the face of these things that cannot be improved or changed. And it is immensely depressing and amounts to I am basically excluded from a lot of the normal things people enjoy about life because of all this. Doing your hair, getting dressed up, going out and enjoying yourself- going to a job interview with confidence because you look good or going on a date or flirting with someone and them flirting back... never got to do those things.

I mean I have never, ever met anyone with this set of issues. Maybe one thing or another but not a mess like I am from head to toe including bad grey matter. I'm alone literally and figuratively and it makes me feel bad and so I can't sleep. And frankly after living with all of this for decades I am just plain worn out. These things exclude you from things in life and also shape you in ways that others don't understand and it just makes everything worse and lonelier.

Well it's another long post and I hope people aren't reading and going "Oh God, thank God that's not me" because I know that's how people are and it also makes me feel crummy about myself.

But anyway yeah in short I have just missed out on a lot in life that others take for granted because of what I have described. It really wears me down to have to find ways to mentally overcome all of that each day- for years and years. That's another reason why it just kills me when people are all like "You're too negative sleepie I'm not gonna read your posts anymore you just need to be positive".

Yeah. Sorry, I am human. This ain't day one of living with all this, it's a little closer to day 9,125. So excuse me if I am fresh out of wherewithal to bounce out of bed with a "It's a brand new day, anything can happen!" attitude. I mean really.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

(((((Sleepie)))))
Old 04-27-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thank you Crouite.

I am going to tell you the worst part of it all. It is a special kind of torment when your insides don't match your outsides one bit. It is horrible to have. I know I am good person and it kills me that people think I have to be that way because I am such a misfit. I get pegged as "Ugly but nice". That's not how it works, I actually have had a very clear sense of humanity and kindness since I was a child, I recall arguing with my grandmother when I was 8 about why not to use racial slurs.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:45 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

sleepie. Package only matters so much and I do hope one day you can love yourself from the inside out.
I know you are beautiful and if I ever get the chance to give you a great big hug in real life I will feel very lucky
Old 04-27-2016, 05:37 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
zjw

Yeah. Sorry, I am human. This ain't day one of living with all this, it's a little closer to day 9,125. So excuse me if I am fresh out of wherewithal to bounce out of bed with a "It's a brand new day, anything can happen!" attitude. I mean really.
I hear you. But all of htis is like beating yourself up. I realize its all very real and very crappy. at night when its time to get some rest start telling your mind hey look stop cut it out I dont wanna think about this it makes me feel like dirt etc.. I'd tell myself things like this makes me feel like crap do i like feeling like crap? no so why am i giving all this attention to all this?. I've had to do things like this myself. I think I also kinda just got tired of myself if that makes any sense I got tired of the same round and round thoughts same problems etc.. it got so old for me. That being said maybe time will also help heal you. The more sober time you have the more it almost gets easier to be like ugg this crap again whatever wtf can i do oh well. Rather then getting hooked into it and loosing sleep over it if that makes any sense? IT doesnt make any of it un real or unimportant it just gets sto the point where your like I just dont feel lik ebeing dragged down by this. Thats how its gone for me anyhow in time anyhow I still have my moments tho.

me its money always money. Great i'm broke again i gotta cough up this amt that amt ugg this broke again ugg kids need this just cut my veins and bleed me out int he yard i say. I'll lie awake at night thinking about this stuff.

But then sometimes I think ya know I could have a kid with cancer or soemthing but no financial issues I think i'd rather take my financial issues then a kid with cancer etc..

For me my problems are interesting they suck but they are mine and I dunno that i'd trade them.

Someone told me a a story about a bunch of people they all hucked all there problems in a pile and then got to go and pick out the ones they wanted from the pile and they all picked there own problems back out again and left.

I dunno to stay on topic for the thread I'd say try to tell yourself these are just thoughts not is bed time etc.. thoughts are thoughts they are not real tangible things etc.. and come bedtime it aint time to deal with them no more its time to just go to sleep. I have to scream at myself sometimes stop stop not now. Tell myself its 3 am is it time to over analyze all this? no its not its time to sleep.

Or be the spectator watch them come and go but dont latch on to them.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:21 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Or go bowser castle/super Mario Bros on them thoughts
I know I get wound right up on my hamster wheel if I start thinking about life stuff at bed time
Old 04-28-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
zjw

I came accross this quote this morning and this thread came to mind.

"yes, you would rather walk to the moon then inquire into yourself! My problem is... Your problem is not the problem. We love our problems and cannot bear to be without them. They are our illegitimate children, demanding so much attention and we readily give it to them. Perhaps we feel bored without them. Who are you without your problems?" ---mooji