Notices

Big Life Changes Support Group

Old 04-07-2016, 06:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Oh and robbing a bank is on my bucket list of planning- but I won't do that until I'm really old or diagnosed with a terminal illness.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

^^^ Ha ha....

(I think ).
Old 04-07-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Jen, your friends on the 'inside' must be giving you some tips, lol.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
I applied for a new job last week. No idea whether I'll be considered a contender. And I am at an age when I need to be careful about next steps because there aren't *that* many years left in my career. The good news is that I know better than to go running to something else. The job I applied for is one I think I'd genuinely like. It would allow me to continue working under the larger umbrella of my employer, thus keeping good retirement benefits intact.
Good luck, Venecia. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Sorry to hear about the end of the romance, but ... don't give up hope. It seems romance happens when we don't expect it. Or, it happens that way often enough.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
Jen, your friends on the 'inside' must be giving you some tips, lol.
Very true!
And I very much look forward to the support from all of you!
Old 04-08-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Sleepie and I are doing no sugar or white carbs for a week if anyone wants to join us.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:09 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I would like to join - I used to run marathons and I haven't done a single bit of exercise for a year and a half now . I had major surgery but I can't really use that as an excuse anymore!!

So, I'm going on a two mile run on Sunday ! My ex husband is taking me to a lovely flat stretch along the sea that is a perfect start. I'm hoping in time my body will remember it can run and I can get back to where I was . It was the best antidepressant ever!

But first the small changes, like actually washing up and cleaning my house....
Old 04-08-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good for you Daisy!!
Old 04-08-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

This is a nice thread, SP. My "commitment to change" right now is to get my recovery stably back on track and to slow down a bit. I feel that I became too ambitious and dealt with/attempted too many big changes during my 2 sober years and eventually it contributed to crashing it. So now my goal is to actually not making big changes in my life for a while except trying to become more realistic and achieve better mental stability and lasting sobriety again.

Good luck, everyone, with the goals! Jsbodhi, perhaps there are more legally acceptable ways of "robbing a bank" before termination?
Old 04-10-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daisy1 View Post
I would like to join - I used to run marathons and I haven't done a single bit of exercise for a year and a half now . I had major surgery but I can't really use that as an excuse anymore!!

So, I'm going on a two mile run on Sunday ! My ex husband is taking me to a lovely flat stretch along the sea that is a perfect start. I'm hoping in time my body will remember it can run and I can get back to where I was . It was the best antidepressant ever!

But first the small changes, like actually washing up and cleaning my house....
Let us know how the run goes, Daisy.

I enjoy running, too. I ran a few 5Ks and an 8K a couple years ago. I run 3-5 days per week now, and don't do races anymore. But they can be fun. I use running as a meditative, routine type of engaging exercise. It's become sort of a go-to comfort for me now.

Cleaning house never seems to become very meditative for me, lol. I'm still waiting for the day...
Old 04-10-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aellyce View Post
I feel that I became too ambitious and dealt with/attempted too many big changes during my 2 sober years and eventually it contributed to crashing it..
I tend to do this too, Aellyce -- take on too many ambitious changes at once. I've crashed and burned many times.

It's hard to hold yourself back and focus on changing one thing at a time, but (and I'm sure you know this) the research I've read indicates making one small change at a time is best.

I'm reading your most recent thread and really glad you've got some rehab plans in place! Good for you.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

It was a hard week for me. I didn't have much time to read or write or post.

But I guess that's an indicator that I must be en route to making big life changes.

I can see it will be a battle for me to stay with this garden center job, that is, unless something else comes up for me in the meantime. In a year, all the income generated from this job should pay off my extra debt. I'm putting all of it down on my debt. It is hard, but I guess it's the way to go. Can be demoralizing at times.

The USPS rural route carrier interview is Tuesday. It lasts a couple of hours. I'm excited and a bit nervous. I hope I get this job, because I think it'll be a much better fit for me than the garden center job. The stress is high for me. I think this job would better suit an extrovert.

Something odd happened this past week at work. First, a co-worker joked with me about going to get a bottle of gin. Then later, I saw an empty beer can while at work, on the property. This was all very unexpected. It wasn't a problem for me, but it gave me pause to think.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:57 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jennie, I know you will be great in your interview on Tuesday. And, good for you for working so hard to pay off the debt. That's the beginning of your plans for the future.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm scurrying around today (and yesterday) to get plants put in the ground and potted, laundry, dishes washed, food prepared, phone calls made, and eBay items mailed. Not much of a rest or off day for me, but these things don't get done often throughout the workweek. I think I can get holes dug for my rose bushes before the rain hits in two hours.

I made a huge batch of crockpot chicken to last us for days.

Got a Kindle poetry collection, May Sarton's.

I'm researching brands of spices online. Replacing some smaller containers with larger ones and so I want to get some good ones.

The front door I have in my shopping cart finally went on sale, for Spring Black Friday (who knew this existed?), so I think we'll go ahead with our order. I'll be saving over $100.

I'm having to decide which dessert to make next; it's between pound cake, banana bread, and banana pudding. A co-worker will be eager to hear of my results with her banana pudding recipe, so I might start there.

How is everyone? Feel free to check in with updates on your progress toward your goals.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Jennie, I know you will be great in your interview on Tuesday. And, good for you for working so hard to pay off the debt. That's the beginning of your plans for the future.
I agree with Anna ~ I think you will do very well in your interview tomorrow.

I'm sorry the garden centre job turned out to be this stressful, but you just keep moving forward, and refusing to allow these bumps in the road to detract you. It is very inspiring.

I am tired; Venus the cat is not well, and it is frightening for me. She is my world.

I do have a lot of very positive things happening though, I am making huge life changes right now.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:57 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Good luck on the interview!
Old 04-13-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Mixed feelings about the interview. I answered questions well, but was very nervous, apparently. So nervous that she asked me if I was nervous. I've never before been asked if I was nervous during an interview, so this really caught me off guard... and made me even more self-conscious and nervous. I think it was a terrible thing to say during an interview. Oh well. It's over.

I'd be a great fit for the job and I conveyed that, or, I tried, anyway. If she can look past the fact I was nervous because I really want this job, then, she'll hire a great person for the job. I'm up against a lot of competition, so I'm not holding my breath. I'm up against a military girl, and she let us all know this. She'll probably be picked first, and that sucks, because she was a loud, obnoxious, know-it-all.

Thanks for the good wishes.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

Who isn't nervous in a job interview? I agree that was a thoughtless comment for the interviewer to make.

I love to see you so enthusiastic about your garden and home. It's inspiring!
Old 04-13-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
now's the time

Hello life changers.

Back on the east coast now and it was a wonderful visit to CA, where I lived for the last 5 years. I feel confident now that I can move back there whenever I want. Which is nice. By the time I left I'd convinced myself that I had nothing out there, no friends, blah blah, typical drunk dramatic thinking. I'd lost a job and my relationship had ended so I decided my life there was over, but it's very much not and I was welcomed with open arms by all of the friends that drunk me thought would never be part of my life anymore (??). I felt very loved and safe. If you love someone let them free... if you love a city move away, and if you have enough couches to sleep on for a ten day visit, then you'll know it was really yours. So my location change is going well. I feel comforted knowing I have a home somewhere.

Other changes... meh. I got turned down for one job I was interviewing for yesterday, which upset me. So last night I was telling my friend that I'm done with business and I'm just going to move to Mexico and teach English again and try to do more creative writing. Then today I had a great phone interview so now I'm all bullish on business again. Ups and downs, ups and downs. I'm so much better at bouncing back, though. During my 1.5 years of many relapses, I used to relapse every single time I got an interview and then got turned down. Which would put me out of the job hunt for another two weeks minimum. Exhausting. So I'm not employed yet but I'm getting better at this process.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:37 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
now's the time

SP congrats on getting through your interview! Fingers crossed for us both.

Venus, big hugs to you and to the kitty.