Notices

constant viruses since sober

Old 02-09-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

constant viruses since sober

hi I seem to be catching every virus going since being sober and this current cold is possibly the worst ive experienced

when I drank I was never ever ill through viruses ? and now ive had about 3 viruses in as many weeks

its all very confusing/

what has this got to do with "body healing itself" making me worse off?

just interested
Old 02-09-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Could be a lot of things. For one, you may have never noticed that you were sick because you were drunk or hung over all the time. It could also be your body adjusting and healing from the damage you did. It could just be that time of year when a lot of bugs are floating around too.

Have you seen a doctor to get a full physical since you quit? It wouldn't be a bad idea just to be safe, right?
Old 02-09-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I never got sick while drinking. For years and years, never got sick. If I did start, it was gone in a day or night. I attribute it to not being able to sleep since I quit. I have been very sick 2 times in as many months now, unheard of for me. Lack of sleep will not only make a person crazy it will wear them down physically.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry your not feeling well sounds like a good time for a Dr apt
Old 02-09-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hi all bloods have come back fine ecg fine sugar fine etc etc
stomach blood test fine

I wasn't in a constant state of hungover drunkness that I wouldn't have known if I had a virus or not I was just never ill and now ive stopped drinking Im bunged up every other day lol

my dad doesn't lead a healthy lifestyle at all and hes never ill, its a bit of a joke really
Old 02-09-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh man, me too!
I had a terrible cold which turned into bronchitis and then pneumonia. I was sick for 6 weeks. Then my skin went nuts...I developed really bad eczema and had to see 5 doctors....prednisone tapers etc. I really think it is just our bodies detoxing!
Old 02-09-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

It seems like once a person gets worn down they can catch everything that comes along. I can go years without getting sick then I get a few things right in a row. It sucks that it should happen right as you are getting sober.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Right now is a peak season for flu, common cold and many other viruses.
Here are few charts about differences between the flu, common cold and similar infections
Cold vs Flu Chart: Symptoms, Prevention

I personally believe, a "simple" stress, like in the situation after stopping drinking, may make you more vulnerable.

In case you had poor diet before you may want to have a blood test for common vitamins/minerals...Nutritional deficiencies may make you catch infections easier.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks for the replies hopefully will feel better in a weeks time
Old 02-09-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Iīve been dry for 8 months now and I seem to have a lot of flus etc.

Donīt know what the reason is. Is it a part of healing? Could be...
Old 02-09-2016, 08:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For what it's worth, out here in CA, there are several viruses going around. In my work group most are catching these bugs regardless of drinking status.
Holly.🎋
Old 02-09-2016, 08:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HollyWouldnt View Post
For what it's worth, out here in CA, there are several viruses going around. In my work group most are catching these bugs regardless of drinking status. Holly.cdf8b
I live in California and my entire family is sick- me, both kids, wife. It's a pretty virulent strain of something going around out here. It hits pretty hard.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah, lot of bugs going around right now, most of the people I work with are out sick or have been out recently. FWIW, I almost never get sick anymore, since I quit drinking five years ago. It's amazing really, I used to get sick every year, usually multiple times, but I've only caught a couple very mild colds since I quit drinking.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have just over 30 days sober and I have been sick almost all month it sucks I wonder if this is normal or if it is just a bad flu season
Old 02-10-2016, 05:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

Alcohol disrupts our entire immune system while we get anesthetized, now that we are sober, our digestive system (and the rest of our bodies) heals and gets normal....our digestive system makes up most of our immune system.

Maybe there's a link here....maybe it's just viruses going around, maybe it's both. Give yourself more time and keep healing!!!
Old 02-10-2016, 05:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

although the flu is still lingering id like to say how good I feel today no rumbling belly no headache so much calmness I could deal with any problem thrown at me without going off like a scalded cat

my eyes look so good and shiny when I look in the mirror and my skin although dry is looking good
Old 02-10-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have been thinking about this post. I am newly sober and just left a walk-in clinic because my real PCP refused to see me.

I have not been sick in 2 years and they considered me "dismissed" from their practice. I can't believe it either. I have been so healthy and now the back of my throat looks awful. Both ears infected. Whatever is going around has hit the East Coast hard.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think our immune systems get compromised while drinking. I know I ate poorly and had other bad habits. I was sick a lot in the beginning. Flu, colds, infections.

It gets better. I hope this helps.

Love from Lenina
Old 02-11-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

For the last three and a half years of my drinking, I didn't so much as get the sniffles. For the first nine to 12 months as a non-drinker, I got every cold, flu, stomach bug... that came down the Pike. It seemed like I was sick the entire first year.

It's been a little more than four and a half years, since I stopped drinking, and I now get an occasional flu/bug or cold, not the constantly sick, like my first year as a non-drinker.

A whole bunch of other things were going on that first year, but like the sicknesses, everything has leveled off back to a normal/normal.

Oh yeah, and even while constantly sick that first year, my life has been GrrrrrrrrREAT!!!!