Notices

Freshly Sober And Getting On With Life! :-)

Old 02-03-2016, 07:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
Fully dressed by 10am?
Seriously? I hafta do that by 7am!
I probably should have mentioned I work from home. On a busy day, there's a danger of not being fully dressed AT ALL!!
Old 02-04-2016, 07:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Bamm!!

10 am and I'm fully dressed and groomed!

Remember...I work from home.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm at work and that's where I get fully dressed

No kidding--I keep my office clothes here in my office
and I wear my rough-and-ready farm clothes to do chores and commute
So there--I beat all y'all in lateness of grooming and dress
Old 02-04-2016, 09:39 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
I'm at work and that's where I get fully dressed

No kidding--I keep my office clothes here in my office
and I wear my rough-and-ready farm clothes to do chores and commute
So there--I beat all y'all in lateness of grooming and dress
You definitely win the Efficiency Award!
Old 02-04-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I have found a new activity when I was not even looking for one. I went to our local DIY store today because I had been having trouble putting up a new fangle curtain rail. I felt pretty silly telling the sales guy that the instructions did not seem to make sense but he was very sweet. After he had explained what I was doing wrong he gave me a leaflet and said take a look at this you should come along. They are running a basic DIY workshop, for women only, once a week. And if you have a particular project in your home that you would like to complete they will coach you through it.

I think it's a great idea. I am a single Mum and am always having to call on people to help me put things up and mend things around the house. It would be great to have some independence on that front.

So I am going to sign up.

Hope you all had a productive day.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

A Tedious, But Productive Day

I'm a little stir crazy since I worked from home all day today. It was all stuff I dreaded. And the more you dread something, the more you need to do it!

Today was $$ finance day $$.

The debt problem:
Comrades, I've found the solution. Did you know you can take a partial distribution from a qualified retirement account with no tax penalty for the purpose of paying for out-of-pocket medical expenses which exceed 10% of your income? This is obviously a much, much better solution than the maxed-out credit cards between 18 and 29 percent! The ball is rolling on this.

Bookkeeping: I bravely went through piles of unsorted 2015 contracts, bills, receipts related to my rental properties and I made a LOT of headway getting it in order for my accountant.

Gradually, order is emerging from chaos. Tenacity wins!
Old 02-04-2016, 06:21 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Great work SiS

Getting out from under the Credit Cards will really take some stress off.
I recently did this myself and paying zero interest does also improve cash flow
Maybe some celebratory ice cream?
Old 02-05-2016, 06:14 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Great work SiS

Getting out from under the Credit Cards will really take some stress off.
I recently did this myself and paying zero interest does also improve cash flow.
Did you roll it onto a 0% card? You'll make some huge inroads at that interest rate!
Old 02-06-2016, 06:18 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Yep--Discover card has a great 0% deal with nice large credit limit, 12 months to pay off.
The upfront is a one-time 3% balance transfer fee to move the money, but still amazingly cheaper than high interest.

This month I'm reaping the benefit and have set up payment amount to clear it well before the deadline.

Just not spending is the magic bullet.
When I stick to cash, or a limited amount in my "monthly" account linked to credit / debit card, I do great.
I also suggest deleting your card number from typical on line places you like to shop. For me it's Amazon.
Too easy to hit 1-click
Old 02-06-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I generally pay my credit card off every month in full, but had a bunch of expenses this past year that was going to make that a challenge. So I got myself a new card that had 0% interest for something like 14 months as long as I paid on time. Meanwhile, I have an automatic transfer from checking to savings each pay period. Somehow, that makes me feel like it's not $ I can spend.

The interest just kicked in, so I transferred from my savings account and paid it off in full and will now keep an eye out for new offers in the mail.

This financial stability eluded me for three decades; getting that together has been tremendously satisfying.

In other getting on with life news, I've made an appointment for a lab draw required for IOP next Saturday (what foresight!), am actually awake and dressed at 9:30 today (a far cry from last weekend when clothes were not changed for days), made a reservation to go to dinner with my kids tomorrow evening, and am down another 0.5 lb despite (because of?) eating 2 meals Thursday and 3 on Friday. It's all small stuff, but pretty major for me.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:23 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

That's terrific Obla--sounds like you are really making fast strides to
physical and financial recovery.
I envy you the weight loss--I've been going the wrong direction
and eating way too much chocolate while I've been sick.
Back to the gym and Paleo eating for me this weekend. . .

I hope dinner with your kids goes well tonight
Old 02-06-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Thanks, Hawk!
I am still 40 pounds heavier than I was five years ago, so I may have an advantage over you in the Biggest Loser thing. Dinner is tomorrow night and I hope it does go well. My girls have a tendency to be snarky with each other, but have been known to rally so we'll see.

I think I may have found the secret to getting dressed in the morning. (1) Get a dog who insists on being walked in the morning (2) wear a nightgown to bed!

Now I have little to no shame about walking the dog in the same sweats as I've been wearing for two days, but I've never yet gotten to the point where I can do that in my nightgown.

And my home comes equipped with a dog that my daughter swore she would walk twice daily but doesn't. It's a good thing - he makes me go outside even when I insist that I'm not up to it.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Super Bowl Sunday!

Hi, all! It's been a c-r-a-z-y weekend, and it's only half done! Thank God I'm sober, because business has picked up insanely and I wouldn't be able to handle this volume with a hangover!

Finance: Got the ball rolling for the IRA distribution. I've never been one to impulse shop on credit cards. My balances are medical and life expenses. Hopefully not stuff that will recur this year, since most of it was alcohol related.

Social: I have a lot of work to do today, but once that's handled, the day's theme is social. Super Bowl Party. Not much into sports but the objective is to mingle.

Weight: Hmmmm.... I think I'm going to have to put a lot more pain and effort in on this. Once would think subtracting 6000 cals/wk and eating small, regular, healthy meals would produce more of a change. I'll summon the warrior within and go at this a little harder.

What's up with others this Super Bowl Sunday?
Old 02-07-2016, 06:11 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

SiS, I like this thread. You've got me considering good life changes in a more concrete way. Following your lead:

Finance:
I have a couple of IRAs from previous jobs that I should probably roll into a 401B at my current position that I never set up. Seems like 10 years down the line is probably past time to get moving on that. I will keep my eye out for the next opportunity to meet with a financial planner at work and make every effort to arrange my schedule to make that work.

Social: Going to dinner with my kids tonight. Will also call at least one person today to check in.

Health: I've got some chicken in the fridge that I baked a few days ago. It needs to be cut up and packaged/frozen for salads. Will take care of that today. I'll make a good faith effort to eat breakfast or lunch even though I know I am also going to dinner.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:57 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

SiS, sounds like you're coming along well.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:12 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Socializing

Obladi, how was dinner? Sounds like you're really getting some momentum on this crazy thing called Life!

The 40-and-over singles Super Bowl party was more enjoyable than I expected. I walked in cold. Didn't know anybody there. Some people were drinking and others not. I joined a card game and learned to play Pitch. Two men got into a competition over who got to sit next to me.

I'm still a bit wound up from an active and late evening but better get to bed because tomorrow launches a busy week. Looking forward to a good night's sleep... Zzzzz.....
Old 02-08-2016, 05:10 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Men fighting over proximity is a great sign SiS
Old 02-08-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Business Housekeepng (YAY!)

Good & Important!

Long day of real estate work with the commercial team I work with. (I mostly work alone, but for commercial transactions, I'm part of a team of three.) I'd been mulling over how to bring up a sensitive subject to our team lead -- the fact that we're splitting commissions three ways while one of our team members is dead wood.

It went well. I didn't mention a single specific about the other team member. I just said I wasn't willing to share my commission with someone who wasn't participating and contributing. He read everything into that statement that I needed him to. I'll let him untangle and rearrange team structure however he sees fit.

He understands and agrees that I'll never again stall a client for 45 minutes until she finally arrives, or bring her to a business meeting with her midriff exposed, or split my commission on a deal she didn't work. OMG, comrades, it's been so embarrassing!

I'm counting this as a Big W because it's a large piece of "business housekeeping" I needed to handle! We'll see what happens next but whatever it is, it won't be my subsidizing her unprofessionalism.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

SIS,

Good for you.

I know that conversation was important for you and it sounds like you nailed it.

I am so impressed by the active approach you are taking to your new life.

I find it very inspiring. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:28 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Weight Loss Approach... (And Sundry)

I'm pleased to report that business is booming and unlike the last "peak" period, I'm well able to service every client who comes my way!

Following up on the weight issue: I called the functional medicine doc today and spoke with the endocrine/metabolic/weight management expert in the office. They discussed my case this morning. Here's what she told me (fascinating stuff!):

Alcohol is the perfect storm. Super high in calories, pure sugar, often consumed right before bed. It simultaneously diminishes normal appetite AND prompts late-night junk food binges. It interferes with absorption, tricking your system into fearing starvation. Basically, you're giving your body every possible cue that it needs to store every morsel that passes your lips, even water!

So here's how it's gonna go down: Once my most recent labs are back, I'm going to supplement specific amino acids to trick my brain and metabolism back into a normal status. We'll also do some simple dietary tricks. They expect me to return to my idea weight of 130 lbs within 40 days. (I'm currently 152.) I pointed out this was pretty aggressive but they said "Trust us; once your system's balanced, it'll drop fast."

Wow. Let's see!