Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Diary of a Mad Cow, Part XVIII: "New Year, New Moo!"

Notices

Diary of a Mad Cow, Part XVIII: "New Year, New Moo!"

Old 01-20-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Post Diary of a Mad Cow, Part XVIII: "New Year, New Moo!"

Yes, I know, year is slightly used already, but Happy New Years, anyway!

I have long talk with therapist today. I doing lot of "right actions" lately to support sobriety, and I tell her I believe next step is to change attitude. (NO! I not going all pollyanna on you ass!) But, let face it, my life, right now, suck. And it not gonna suck any less to constant talk about how much it suck. Reality is, it maybe take years and years for health, brain, depressions, relationships, finance, family, career, regrets, etc. to actual improve and suck less, BUT it really only take seconds to change you attitude. And along with positive "actions," I think positive "attitude" will help me to cope with my crap life better.

Is like another piece of a castle I building, in hopes that one day I can moves in.

So what new with you guys?
Old 01-20-2016, 04:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It works for me.
Good strategy--just stay out of the "daily shower" mode and you'll be right

(Sorry LeLe)
Old 01-20-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Very nice new thread, dear Cow.

(Maybe sleepie will draw a nice picture of a proposed Cow Castle for your review.)
Old 01-20-2016, 04:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Like the attitude. Like the flower.

While I don't always succeed at it myself, I tell people that happiness is a choice. You feel better just forcing a smile. Dwell on every happy thing, not every sad thing.

BTW, glad you're back.

How did that work project go? Did I miss the reveal?
Old 01-20-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You feel better just forcing a smile.

uh....you're not talking to me, i know, but....really?
whenever i force a smile i just feel extra crappy.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

fini, we all knows I is severe depress and has the anhedonia. And like you, I also can become pained if I tries too hard to perform and "fake till I make it." I not talking about forced smiles, or even to just focus only on positive things and ignore bad things. I only talking about "attitude."

I can be total depressed and has really bad attitude about it. And I can be total depress and has "not as bad" attitude about it. "Not as bad" attitude maybe or maybe not change actual depression whatsoever, but, for me, I gonna see if this can help me to cope and maybe even create bridge or teach my brain/mind to reach for more positive attitudes, which, usual, does feel at least tiny bit better.

Like I say, is just piece of a castle I building, in hopes that one day I can moves in.

PS. Trach, we still in "revisions" phase of my project, but so far they please with my work. I glad you likes my flower ...no you nibbles on it!
Old 01-20-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

oK, I won't eat the flowers.

Here, smile:

Old 01-20-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm all for a decent attitude. I try intentionally to turn to things that I find worthwhile, and rapidly analyze painful experiences to understand as much of them as I need to know and then take action to remove myself or remedy the situation. Maintaing the attitude is challenging -- I did a poor job of it today --but fixating on bad **** gives me physical pain which turns into relapse-directed thinking pretty quickly.

Nice to see you back!
Old 01-20-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

With going through cancer, I hear "stay positive" or "you are doing really good because of your positive attitude". I guess I wasn't positive enough because I got a bad pathology report which really means even after chemo cancer still existed. So I'm in the process of getting more opinions. However, after saying all that, the only way I get sleep is to have a good attitude. What else am I going to do? I have no power over cancer.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Puffy, I am so very sorry to hear that news; will you have more chemo?
Old 01-20-2016, 06:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Here is other way to look at it:

Say you wake up one day on island, and all knowledge of you self, all memory, is gone. You alone. You only know you a person. (Maybe you was on Carnival Cruiseship, get rowdy and fall over rail and bonk you head!) Anyways, I think no matter how dire you situation, one thing you would figure out pretty quick is, that although it not change reality of you situation, to has positive attitude feel better, and give you better chance to survives, than to has negative attitude.

At least that how it always turn out on "Naked and Afraid."

Moo Mwah, Bunny!

Puffy! Yes, I not in anyway proponent of the "magical thinking" bullcrap. My momma have cancer, and she had better attitude the whole freaking time than I will ever has in my life. It humble me to think back on this. Does not mean she was no in pain, scare, depress, sad, fraught, all of that. That normal, and like you say, she has no control of her illness, but damn did she have great attitude, and I believes her experience was so much the better for it.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Cow!
Old 01-20-2016, 06:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Cow View Post
Here is other way to look at it:

Say you wake up one day on island, and all knowledge of you self, all memory, is gone. You alone. You only know you a person. (Maybe you was on Carnival Cruiseship, get rowdy and fall over rail and bonk you head!) Anyways, I think no matter how dire you situation, one thing you would figure out pretty quick is, that to has positive attitude feel better, and give you better chance to survives, than to has negative attitude.

At least that how it always turn out on "Naked and Afraid."

Moo Mwah, Bunny!

Puffy! Yes, I not in anyway proponent of the "magical thinking" bullcrap. My momma have cancer, and she had better attitude the whole freaking time, than I will ever has in my life. It humble me to think back on this. Does not mean she was no in pain, scare, depress, sad, fraught, all of that. That normal, and like you say, she has no control of her illness, but damn did she command her attitude.
I'm liking Cow with a survival attitude, how 'bout y'all?
Old 01-20-2016, 07:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Loving it, trachs.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Puffy, I am so sorry. I am glad you are getting more opinions.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
p***enger

Puffy, I wish you well in your treatment AND your attitude. You have generosity of spirit, humor & compassion, and that's true no matter what's in the doctor's reports.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Puff
Old 01-20-2016, 08:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Hi Sleepies, I was think of you earlier today. I looking at little note you put into drawings you send me. Such a sweet little note, and you penmanship really nice. Mine okay, but not pleasing and artistic like that.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks Cow. I have a few things to send along. You can have the pyramid too if you like. My writing changes, it isn't always the same. That's always wierded me out a bit.

I found a "Billy on the Street" with Amy Sedaris.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

I glad you getting kick out of Billy. He not well known but I think he total best at street improv.

Well, you know, I a Sleepies art collector, so I take everything I can get.

My penmanship change a lot too, randomly. Even my signature. And my main "parlor trick" is I can write with both hand, but left hand writing come out backward (you has to hold it in mirror to read it.) I look into this and Lewis Carroll had same quirk.