Notices

Why do some people carry their AA chips on them?

Old 11-20-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why do some people carry their AA chips on them?

I have heard, it is to remind them of their length of sobriety. But, do they need a chip for that?

I never got into getting a chip, I know how long I have been sober. I think it is like bragging rights or something.

I guess, I like to work my program and go about my day. I am not in it for the attention.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Some people are just very proud of their accomplishments. Nothing wrong with that. To each his own.

PS, I'm not an AA'r but I am proud of what I accomplished.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
MrBrad

I had always wondered that too. Mine just wound up in the trash.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Apparently there is some psychological reason why chips are a good idea. And if it helps someone stay sober or feel a bit better about themselves then I have no objections.

AA is a spiritual program and I suggest that the reasons groups elect to give chips are spiritual rather than psychological. They are about gratitude and a reminder of where we have come from, not personal achievement.

"We finally realise that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves"
Personal accomplishment only got me so far in sobriety, like upto three weeks dry on my own power. Permanent recovery required a spirtual experience.

We didn't do chips in my part of the world. The first I received was for 30 years sober, none of which was my personal accomplishment.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ha. Here's the non-spiritual side of coins...

A friend in AA told me after I got my 24 Hour coin, "If ya feel like drinking, put it in your mouth. When it melts, you can have a drink. "
Old 11-20-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

When I was a kid my grandfather always carried a silver dollar in his pocket for luck he'd say. When I got older I did the same. I carry my chip for the same reason along great with a couple other things along those lines.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I carry mine as a happy reminder of my sobriety. Nobody ever sees it but me.

Why do people wear wedding rings? Why do people carry pictures of their kids in their wallets or on their phones? Why do people save love letters?

Just happy, nice things to be reminded of.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've heard some people take their medallin (sp?) and turn it into a necklace. I used to see this person at a NA meeting with a long chain of chips hanging outside her purse. You could hear her coming a mile away. John
Old 11-20-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I was taught that chips are picked up to demonstrate to others there is hope in the program of Alcoholics Anonymous. The chip system evolved over time - currently many groups give out a desire/24 hr chip - then monthly for the first year - an 18 month chip and then annually.

When I hit a year I returned all my monthly chips except for two - my 24 hr chip and my 6 month chip. The others I pray may help someone else.
The 6 month chip I buried at my parents headstone after making amends.
The 24 hr chip is always part of me as a reminder of the fact I am only - ever one day away from a drink.

I don't need anything to remind me of my sobriety date. It is the most important day of my life.

06/09/14
Old 11-20-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Maybe for the same reason I carry the keychain medallion that's in my avatar photo - something to focus on and remind me where I was, in case of temptation. I've used it for that purpose before, who knows, maybe someday I will again.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i carry my last one with me sometimes, but no-one else sees it.
it's not for pride, or accomplishment, but it's a grounding of sorts. it feels good in the hand. it's in my jeans pocket.
other times i've carried a pebble i've picked up. or a smooth piece of oyster shell.
mostly i carry nothing.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

If you haven't already, read the Big Book, and the history of AA. This program is ageless and unchanged. Sure I carried my chips for awhile, now I carry my Spirituality. For some it has a personal purpose, others may just follow the crowd.
The coin says "To Thy Own Self Be True". For me that means focus on what's important, and that is ME.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Why not, what's wrong with it? Some people like that reminder, and the brief recognition provides positive reinforcement. I think anything that helps people stay sober is a good thing.

I've carried a folded $50 bill that was in my grandfather's wallet when he died, as kind of a protective, good luck totem, and reminder of him.. for 45 years now, haha. I guess I like that sort of thing..
Old 11-21-2015, 03:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Happy, joyous, and free

I carry my AA chip because it makes me smile.

Bragging rights? Heck yes. God has led and/or dragged me through twenty years of sobriety, one day at a time, and I am dang proud of it.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i used to have two of those and when I fell off the wagon the buggers took them back plus the big book i was loaned . Talk about going in the huff with AA . But that was then and I dont hold grudges .
Old 11-21-2015, 04:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I picked up about half of my chips.

Gave away my 20th which I regret.

Still have my first year and that's the chip which means the most.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

my 24 hr coin is in the cover of my bb. it has my DOS on it. i did that with a nail. every time i grab my bb it gives me a sense of gratitude for what i have today.

my 10 year coin is in my wallet. every time i see it i get a sense of gratitude for what i no longer have today.

i dont need either one.
if its someones opinion that im bragging by that, im ok with that. their opinion isnt important to me.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I carry mine as a happy reminder of my sobriety. Nobody ever sees it but me.

Why do people wear wedding rings? Why do people carry pictures of their kids in their wallets or on their phones? Why do people save love letters?

Just happy, nice things to be reminded of.
Perfect response from my perspective.

How others work their program is their business not mine as long as they are staying sober I'm happy for them
Old 11-21-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I agree with you MIRecovery in response to Lexiecat .
Old 11-21-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomas59 View Post
i used to have two of those and when I fell off the wagon the buggers took them back plus the big book i was loaned . Talk about going in the huff with AA . But that was then and I dont hold grudges .
That's beyond terrible!!!!!!!!!! Nobody should take back what you've earned. AA meetings is a big part of my recovery plan, but things like this does happen. That's why I think it's very important to keep a sober distance from people like that IMHO. Some people at those meetings can cause more harm than good. I'm very sorry you went through that. I'm real steamed right now!!!! John