Notices

Sugar

Old 11-21-2015, 12:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Sugar cravings seem to kick in around the 14 day mark. My problem is that I drink only water in between my binges with zero sweets, soda or junk food. I eat reasonably clean with no fast food and we eat out maybe twice a year. For this reason, I think the sweets hit me hard during the initial recovery.

I could kill a 1/2 gallon of ice cream a night so I try and keep it out of the house. I've found that Strawberry Poweraide Zero helps with the sweet tooth and also keeps me hydrated. I've also started making my own trail mix to munch during the evening. After a few weeks it passes and things get back to normal.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

YES, I had (have) sugar cravings. Although now at 4 1/2 months, they are not as bad. Earlier in sobriety, say 1-2 months along, I was trying my best to eat healthy: vegetables, smoothies, protein, vitamins, less sugar, no caffeine, etc. But there were many many times that nothing "healthy" I ate would "hit the spot" and I was immediately hungry after eating a good balanced meal. It just didn't satisfy. I was constantly craving "something" -- it wasn't alcohol but it wasn't healthy food, either. I went on this way for several weeks but it got so bad I just had to give in and eat some sugar, specifically ice cream. That was the "missing link" -- the only thing that would still the mystery cravings in my mind/body.

So thankfully my PAWS situation started calming down after peaking around 3 to 3 1/2 months, and along with it the cravings are lessened, too. More "normal" food will "hit the spot" and I find I'm not needing the ice cream as much.

Also, I now have more energy to actually do some more strenuous cardio and weights exercise, and I think that is largely what's helping reduce the cravings. Before I started drinking, like long before, I always found that periods when I was exercising well, my junk food cravings were greatly diminished.