Notices

Health after alcoholism

Old 10-03-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Health after alcoholism

So Im on week 11 now and havent been counting days really but weeks.

The past two weeks have been really really rough and stressful.

Im still constantly feeling certain health issues that may or may not be stress related although it is likely. Ive been to the doctor too many times in the past month and am going again on monday to check on things

Ive had some bad acid reflux spells the past week that were terrible. I was trying to go off my reflux medication but it didnt work too well so back on them I go, while I try to change my diet and then perhaps try again.

My hypochondria tendencies are either getting worse or im just confused. Maybe both.

I went to the doctor for severe nausea, headaches and fatigue, was checked by three different doctors and all have said im fine, except for one that wants to do an endoscopy to make sure im okay.

Ive had my blood tested (came back healthy) urinalysis (healthy) various cardiac tests (normal), xrays (normal) and an ultrasound of my organs which came back fine.

Given my age the doctors say its probably just stress and a stomach virus that has been going around, which is probably somewhat true. The headaches have gone away and the nausea is still somewhat there in an anxious capacity and still annoying. Im still experiencing reflux and some abdominal discomfort after eating.

I feel worried because they arent finding anything wrong immediately and I still feel like crap although Ive seen three different doctors over this, well 4 given an ER doctor.

Im not sure about the endoscopy because its invasive and im worried either way. If its nothing, im thinking okay then it is stress how do i fix this? or its something horrible (C word) and that scares me. Given my age without family history or the gene commonly associated with cancer its a super low chance like 0.005% chance given my symptoms but still my mind is like what if? what if?

Traded my alcoholism for anxiety, depression and hypochondria,

Im still wondering if I got the short end of the deal here
Old 10-03-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Looking back at my alcoholism, I really doubt you have the short end of the stick here Holds

It took me 3 months to even begin to feel normal again and probably a few weeks after that to trust that feeling and let go of the notion that my well-deserved death was imminent.

If your problem is anxiety or depression you have a lot of approaches to choose from to try and help make that better

D
Old 10-03-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Typical health related anxiety, common in the first few months of sobriety. At least I went through that and many others do too. Don't worry Holds, just eat well and get plenty of sleep.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Holds -- my first few months of sobriety were kind of a rocky time, too. I had anxiety and lots of emotions surfacing, that I used to stuff down with alcohol. It also took awhile for my sleep to sort itself out, and my hunger and food cravings were wacky for awhile.

That stuff does calm down with time, at least in my experience. If you can hang in there with it, I think and hope you'll find it was a good trade-off. Staying sober, we can take advantage of all kinds of tools and treatments for anxiety and health issues. Drunk, I had no chance to make things better.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In my previous experience quitting, underlying anxiety stayed around for a long time which can lead to all sorts of negative "body" feelings.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe talk to a counselor about the mental aspects? If 4 doctors told you everything was fine physically you should feel confident. Obviously you've done your due diligence, more than most.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The last 5 months have been nothing but pure agony for me. I substituted a word there. But I know how I actually did dodge a bullet because I don't know how I would have handled it drinking. I most likely would have fallen back in to depression. Physical withdrawals for me were bad and I just don't think most doctors get the PAWS thing. Let's see, anxiety through the roof, had actual attacks the first time in my life, constipation, insomnia, fatigue that flattens you, sugar cravings. It will start to abate--the only thing that hasn't let up for me is the anxiety and that is something that will only get worse unless you control it. I'm trying...
Old 10-03-2015, 09:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Trust your doctor, if one wants to do an endoscopy to check then do an endoscopy to check - and you can ultimately rule out everything.

Congrats on week 11, I thought about you last night since I haven't seen you posting - glad to see you!
Old 10-03-2015, 11:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"Im not sure about the endoscopy because its invasive and im worried either way"

Holds1325 I can relate to this : I was rush to my ER- ICU hospital for 3 1/2 days last weekend ,the G.I. doctor used this Upper gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy
to determine why I was losing 2 pints of blood a day (for the last three days) thru my digestive track, over time alcohol , aspirin , spicy food ,etc completely ulcerated my stomach, the endoscopy was used to see this issue, before surgery and a massive blood transfusion could begin.
I hope you get thru this ok , don't wait get checked out by your doctors.
I waited to the last minute, and I could actually feel death at my doorstep.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I won't go into why but I would strongly encourage you to have the endoscopy.
It can save your life.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Holds.. you didn't trade anything mate. You quit drinking that was the hardest part now just gotta focus on one thing at a time... Hope you start to feel better. Do some exercise , drink lots of fluids (water, Gatorade), etc. I am 2 weeks sober and feeling some of the anxiety as well.

Cheers

Dru -
Old 10-04-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
zjw

it sounds like the issues you describe are all seperate from the alcoholism. At least in the sense that your not drinking now but you still have those issues persisting. I had the same kinds of problems. For me 6 months in i was still tired of honestly feeling like trash still. Sure i felt better since i quit dirnking but not that much better. I was still smoking still over weigth still ate garbage etc.. 6 months in i got neurotic about my health started dieting and exercising and quiting smoking. Things started to turn around then.

But its still no cakewalk. as of recent I have thoughts now and then like why bother this is all so much effort what for. Im tired I dont wanna keep up with this healthy eating and exercise whats the point etc.. I guess the thing is drinking or not drinking I'm still gonna have my fair share of issues. drinking was just way way worse. I was like on the fast track to death with what iw as doing.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have another appointment tomorrow to discuss a referral to a gastro doc.

Yesterday I felt okay actually I got up, got alot done yesterday, got my truck fixed wohoo and went grocery shopping. I got really hungry so I just ate some fast food and kept it down without any nausea etc.

This morning though, the stomach problems are back with a vengeance!

I still am really worried about this endoscopy procedure, mostly because I'm afraid of what they will find or what they won't find so to speak. Mostly though of what they might find.

I'm only 28 years old and I'm already experiencing all these stomach related problems. I understand it could be stress, or a possible infection that has been going around but I don't like the way I feel.

It was better when all I had to worry about was my worry, worrying about my health now isn't fun at all!
Old 10-05-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I understand the feeling Holds. I can't give you any medical advice but I can tell you that when my health anxiety was/is bad, I was positively convinced that I had many horrifying ailments. If I got a cold and a fever I would turn it into Menigitis. If I had a headache it was a brain tumor. If I felt a twinge in my stomach or heartburn a heart attack was imminent.

Our minds are extremely powerful.....let the doctors do their work on the physical side of things. Worrying about it will simply make it all worse. Sounds like you had a good morning, keeping busy always helps me stay focused on other issues which helps.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I can remember a time when I had a decent time of not drinking under my belt.
It was so nice to be able to think 'I might have a pain here, a rash there, a funny mark there...........but I don't need to worry. Cos its not drink related'.

I think for me I was happy to have any pain, symptom whatever as I could categorically confirm to any medic it was not the result of alcohol.

I am saying this with kindness - GO ENJOY YOUR LIFE! Stop worrying about your health. You have done awesome to stop the drink. You need to celebrate that. Get happy. Pat yourself on the back. Have a spring in your step. To me it looks like you have survived your drinking career. So try your hardest to not worry.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've had my moments where my worry switched to some type of resent where I thought, oh well I'm not dying today so whatever and I move on,

This is when the thoughts flood in especially if I feel some type of symptom like nausea or a headache etc.

Thanks for the great advice, I am trying each day to not worry about it, and actually live in the day rather than worrying about tomorrow.

Even in the Bible it says: Who of you can add one day to your life by worrying? This statement has alot of value to it even if you don't believe in God or the Bible because its true.

Trying to live by that is very difficult however.