Notices

strat's positive thinking thread

Old 09-27-2015, 04:24 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by strategery View Post
Today’s exercise: Think about the last time you were struggling. Why were you struggling? What were you feeling? With this struggle, what did you learn?
I went to.a wedding last night
It was a struggle. Since i was known as a drinker many people were shock that i had no kids and responsibilities but still didn't drink.
I struggled because my usual.habit would have been to drink and smoke as much as possible. No control.
I really obaerved people. Open bar for several.hours.some people just got wasted.. others had a drink here and there. I lefy an hour early because i was tired and kind of bored sitting around the bar. So.i left and had a nice mile walk to the hotel.

I felt a little annoyed because it was a long drinking session. I was bored after several hours and tire. I felt good because i had a grest time socializing sober. I feel awesome today because i dont have a hangover.

I learned that i am still giving alcohol too much credit. I was worried about this event due to temptaion. I was tempted at the event. Why can i just have a few. I will be fine.
I am proud i held strong. It takes time to break habits. I made a commitment to myself and 24 club to not drink. I upheld my promise and I had a great time being sober.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your wonderful shares!

Tursiops-I really liked what you had to say about staying in the present, esp with all that you are facing.

Carlotta-thank you so much for bringing up AVRT(addictive voice recognition technique). This is a tool I have used on a consistent basis to help recognizing that voice that wants you pick up. You are also so right about having a good support system in place. Having a virtual community or people in real life that you can rely on for support is critical.

KeyofC-you are so right about recognizing that things weren't going to change unless you changed.

Clearlight-welcome! I did want to share with you that I haven't done AA. The only support I have used is here. I have nothing against AA and think it is an amazing program. However, being here has given me a chance at real anonymity, which is important for me. If I couldn't get sober just using this forum, I would use AA as my next step. Most of what I have learned has been through spending time here reading, going to SR chat meetings and doing a lot of self-examination and thinking.

Letitgo-great job with getting through and staying strong.

I could really relate to what Hevyn had to say about using alcohol to numb insecurities and doubts. I did much of the same and what she says about it preventing you from growing as a person is so true.

It's been a bit of a struggle for me this fall. I got sober last November and my drinking was usually the worst around this time of the year. Craft beers, esp pumpkin beers were my drink of choice. In the town we live in, the past few weekends have had Oktoberfests and this has been advertised everywhere. At first, there was a sense of loss. However, the more I thought about it, I realized what I thought was really a good time, really wasn't. I thought about all the times I drank and how it usually ended up, which was me falling asleep. Not really fun at all.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Positive thinking and the importance of taking care of ourselves mentally, physically, spirtually

I am going to take a short break from keeping positive when struggling to cover another topic I've been thinking about, which is taking care of ourselves mentally, spiritually, and physically. I really feel that how we take care of ourselves has an impact on our mindset. If we're taking care of ourselves well, it carries into how we think about ourselves and our outlook.

I just got over a major sinus infection that I've had for several weeks. The infection had gotten so bad that I was very tired all the time and I stopped working out. While I'm better now, I've struggled with getting myself motivated to go back at it, even though it's something I love and enjoy. While it wouldn't seem like that big of a deal not to work out, I've also noticed that my thoughts haven't been in as good of a place either.

When thinking about this, I have been realizing I need to do a better job taking care of myself. By not working out, I was neglecting a very important aspect and that was directly having impacts on how I felt about myself, and ultimately my thought processes. By thinking about this, it made me realize how important it is to take care of ourselves mentally, physically and spiritually and that there is a connection between these, our outlook and ultimately our thoughts.

Today's exercise: Think about how you're doing taking care of yourself mentally, physically and spiritually. Is there an area that needs to be improved?
Old 09-27-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Perfect topic for me today!!

I'm back home today after unexpectedly taking care of my parents for a week. When I woke up this morning, I knew that I needed to focus on self-care today, and for the next few days while my parents are in my siblings' care.

My physical self-care has been a cornerstone in my recovery. I used to neglect my body, and now I try to make sure I take a good brisk walk for at least half an hour every day, and also try to go to exercise class (Pilates) 2 -3 times a week. I try to eat healthy food, minimize processed foods and sugar/fat/salt. Sleep 8+ hours.

Mentally- reading, AA meetings, SR, talking with friends. I read recovery-related stuff, and stuff for fun (news, history). A big key here is limiting my hours spent on work to the amount I'm actually contractually committed to (I struggle with workaholism). I have a very mentally intense job, and I need to set limits on it, and allow my mind to do other things to keep in balance.

Spiritually -- gratitude lists, spending time in nature, "prayers" of sorts at night and on awakening (not to God, but to the higher power of my understanding). Being in nature really helps me.

Room for improvement -- I'm pretty good at doing these things in weeks when nothing big is happening (no crises at work, nobody in family needs my help, etc). But when difficult things happen, I start forgetting to do self-care, especially the exercise. I need to recommit to making this stuff happen, even when (maybe especially when) there are big problems and demands on my time.

Thanks for the timely reminder, Strat, and sorry about the sinus infection. It's a challenge to keep up with self-care when we're sick!! Hope you feel better.

Last edited by tursiops999; 09-27-2015 at 12:06 PM. Reason: grammar. Because, perfectionism. :)
Old 09-27-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm in a bit of a slump right now, strat - but I know I'll rise to the occasion once again. At least I dumped most of the extra weight I was carting around while drinking. Like tursiops, I walk and watch my diet. Other 2 areas need work for sure.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I'm in a slump too, Hev. Positive thinking is a struggle for me recently, as I've been worrying. I try to take good care of myself, with exercise and healthy foods, but have had two health scares this year....so it's deflating. I'm trying to get back on track and build up my stamina .

Spiritually I feel bankrupt, which is hard to admit. Several recent difficult losses have occurred and one in particular, causes me great anguish and I've questioned my faith.

Mentally, I am seeing a therapist. Being able to return to yoga this week will help, as I benefit from the meditation. Drinking isn't an option for me, but I know if I felt like this in the past......drinking would have been my bandaid.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

It's hard for us to take care of ourselves. It's easier to care for others. I will put myself through hell sometimes not even realizing. My need to help others is a much greater feeling. I try to be more aware of my needs. I know it's important to my sobriety. Saying no and setting boundaries are a necessity too.
It's important I make sobriety my priority first thing in the morning. It's priority to think about things I am grateful for. It's important I chat with the HP each morning. All these things get my head straight so I can have a more positive action and reaction throughout the day. Eating better and at regular intervals keep me feeling evened out. I need to start exercising.
I'm learning to like myself again. I'm learning to love myself. I am trying hard to learn patience. I'm one of those ppl who think for example "ok I dieted one day can you tell I've lost weight"! Lol not that bad but you get the idea. I've got a lot to learn but I am now open to it. It's hard to be so vulnerable but I'm learning that too is necessary.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KeyofC View Post
It's hard for us to take care of ourselves. It's easier to care for others. I will put myself through hell sometimes not even realizing. My need to help others is a much greater feeling. I try to be more aware of my needs. I know it's important to my sobriety. Saying no and setting boundaries are a necessity too.
It's important I make sobriety my priority first thing in the morning. It's priority to think about things I am grateful for. It's important I chat with the HP each morning. All these things get my head straight so I can have a more positive action and reaction throughout the day. Eating better and at regular intervals keep me feeling evened out. I need to start exercising.
I'm learning to like myself again. I'm learning to love myself. I am trying hard to learn patience. I'm one of those ppl who think for example "ok I dieted one day can you tell I've lost weight"! Lol not that bad but you get the idea. I've got a lot to learn but I am now open to it. It's hard to be so vulnerable but I'm learning that too is necessary.
Key of C great post 1 day at a time
Old 09-28-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

staying positive when struggling pt 3

Thank you all for your wonderful and very heartfelt shares. I am very glad you are all here.

Today we’re going back to staying positive when struggling since struggling doesn’t necessarily need to be cravings, but it can also be emotional struggling. One of the good things about yesterday’s exercise is that if aspects were noticed by you that need to be worked on, you can start taking steps/making goals to change these aspects. One the things that I have found very helpful with staying positive when struggling, is thinking about short-term (today), medium-term (week-month) and longer term goals.

By doing this, I have to think about what I am wanting out of life and where my energies should be focused. With the short term goals, they’re helpful in making me feel like there is forward progress being made on a regular basis. With longer term goals, it gives me something to work on, build towards and look forward to, which helps me feel positive. By making goals and plans, these goals are additional reasons to stay sober. It also reinforces the idea that we all have the power to change and move our lives in directions we choose to.

Today’s exercise:Make a short-term goal for today and a medium term goal for this week. Did you feel more positive after doing this?
Old 09-28-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Very apropos! I tend to overdo everything no matter what it is. So I made my today goal and weekly goal and am just going to focus on them. Tomorrow I will set a new daily. Sometimes I overwhelm myself with what I want to do and end up not even starting!
Old 09-28-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Today my short term goal is to quit worrying about what everyone thinks
For the week I'll work on positive energy to keep me the heck away from depression. Don't want to go there. :/
Old 09-28-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Today my short term goal is to get in a bunch of good exercise and healthy food.

This week, my goal is to remember to spend at least a few minutes in meditation/prayer each day.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I did not do yesterday's exercise since I was completely whooped from one of my work marathon.
Mentally, I like to study and read and when I feel overwhelmed I will make myself take a mental health break. I also chose to live TV free.

Spiritually, I meditate daily. Physically is where I could do better. I have gained weight and I am not exercising like I should which makes me feel sluggish and fat and also I have some joints problems and arthritis and with the change of season I am feeling it.

This bring me to today's exercise.
Today, I will relax and recharge my batteries (I had a VERY rough shift Saturday overnight) and spend some time studying the tarot.
My goal for this week is to walk at least half an hour every day and cut down on carbs (mainly bread, I love french bread and I an inhale a baguette in one sitting).

So that's my goals this week: working toward a healthy mind in a healthy (well as good as it get ) body
Old 09-28-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

KeyofC - worrying about what people think has been a life long problem for me. I'm sure you'll be successful.

Short term goal - a little late in the day, but I need to stop worrying & fretting about every little thing. Maybe by bedtime. Medium term - get back on track with the walking I'm supposed to be doing. I was doing well, but seem to be finding all sorts of excuses not to do it.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Doing really great on my short term goal. I found that awesome video about the tarots on youtube and I am really enjoying it.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:48 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Short term goal, to replace a negative mental image with two positive ones.
Long term goal, to lighten my load of guilt, to a more manageable weight.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Today's exercise: Think about how you're doing taking care of yourself mentally, physically and spiritually. Is there an area that needs to be improved?
Today’s exercise:Make a short-term goal for today and a medium term goal for this week. Did you feel more positive after doing this?

Yes. I need to continue working through emotions. I need work on all 3 areas. I can umprove on mental, spiritual and physical health. I am great with excuses of why i don not do things I should. Going to start today with a workout and meditation session this evening.
I am so efficient i combined 2 days exercises into one.
My goal is to excericise 30 minutes a day and meditate 10 minutes a day.
I know having new goals and achieving them will make me feel better.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by strategery View Post
I am going to take a short break from keeping positive when struggling to cover another topic I've been thinking about, which is taking care of ourselves mentally, spiritually, and physically. I really feel that how we take care of ourselves has an impact on our mindset. If we're taking care of ourselves well, it carries into how we think about ourselves and our outlook.

I just got over a major sinus infection that I've had for several weeks. The infection had gotten so bad that I was very tired all the time and I stopped working out. While I'm better now, I've struggled with getting myself motivated to go back at it, even though it's something I love and enjoy. While it wouldn't seem like that big of a deal not to work out, I've also noticed that my thoughts haven't been in as good of a place either.

When thinking about this, I have been realizing I need to do a better job taking care of myself. By not working out, I was neglecting a very important aspect and that was directly having impacts on how I felt about myself, and ultimately my thought processes. By thinking about this, it made me realize how important it is to take care of ourselves mentally, physically and spiritually and that there is a connection between these, our outlook and ultimately our thoughts.

I missed yesterday's exercise, though it really does apply to me. I'm not taking care of myself at all and need to figure out how I can find the time and energy to do that. I'm a single mom with a busy, demanding job. I have to figure something out...

Delfin
Old 09-29-2015, 12:50 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Great thread.

On yesterday's exercise, I am really focusing on the mental and spiritual, but am a complete fail on the physical and always have been -- just have no interest in moving . My diet is better, but there is always room for improvement, but exercise is non-existent.

So my short term today goal is to get my work done that needs to be done today and this week, and my medium goal is to exercise 20 minutes a day; its just 20 minutes right...
Old 09-29-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

staying positive when struggling part 4

Welcome dropsie! It is wonderful to have you here!

I loved getting to see what goals you set for yourselves and hope you found it to be a useful exercise. I also need goal setting since I tend to want to do everything, but when trying to do everything, nothing seems to get done. I can also very much relate to the struggle of balancing mental, physical and spiritual aspects. It seems I am good with one or two, but there is always one that comes up short.

My short-term goal was to get some studying in last night since I have an exam coming up for a course I am taking. My weekly goal is to recommit myself towards what I was building towards with my activity prior to having the sinus infection.

Today we’re continuing being positive when struggling and covering challenging our negative thinking.

When I was in high school, I can still remember being part of a group and an advisor saying to us that, “we can choose to be happy or we can choose to be unhappy when it comes to situations, but that the choice is up to us”. With recovery, I have had to embrace this concept. I have found that going down a negative path with my thoughts breeds even more negative thoughts. If I continue with the negative thoughts, pretty soon I have cravings and that is not a good place to be.

With everything that happens to us, including struggles, we can take a negative attitude or embrace a positive attitude. I am not saying that if something horrible occurs, like a loss of a job, that it is something to be happy about since that would be rather ridiculous. However, if we can challenge negative thinking or trying to change our perspective, this can be very helpful with keeping positive.

For example, take the loss of the job. If we take a negative attitude, we can focus on how we were wronged, how it isn’t fair, how the company sucks, etc. However, if we challenge our negative thinking and look at it from the perspective that we can have new opportunities to do and learn new things, it completely shifts the outlook from one that is negative towards one that is positive.

Sometimes this can be quite challenging, but with work and time, new perspectives can be gained with certain situations. Additionally, the more work that is put in with challenging negative thinking, the easier it becomes. After doing this for some time, you may notice your thoughts have a better tendency of going down a positive route versus a negative route.

Today’s exercise: Monitor your thoughts today. If you are feeling negative about something, think about how you could change your perspective on the situation towards one that is more positive. If you don’t come up with anything, keep working at it.