Notices

What I see.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What I see.

I do a little work every day that involves me walking around the neighborhood. There are 2 really disconcerting things I see every morning. One, a number of bars that are open very early in the morning. And the second- the hardcore alcoholics out on the street or on their stoop with a bottle of hard, cheap liquor in hand, drinking in public. I understand the people walking to the train for work in their button down shirts and ties may be hardcore alcoholics too, but these others make me so sad. I saw a man awaking in a doorway with his hand wrapped around the largest bottle of vodka I have ever seen and my heart felt so sad for him. I don't think anyone becomes an alcoholic because they have had a great life. There are exceptions, but I just really have a hunch that it wasn't good things that led them to public intoxication or waking up in doorways. I also understand the need to hug a bottle like it's the only thing you've got left.

Very sad. So my two cents, I wish we lived in a world where we took care of each other, and this could never happen to anyone.

I listened to a bit of a Malcolm Gladwell book last year and he mentioned this study on a small population, maybe in Italy, that consumed plenty of fat, drank a bit- A BIT- and yet suffered extremely low rates of illness, depression and addiction and that it was due to the sense of community they had. They were all there for each other. Isn't it something what people can do?

Okay, the warm and fuzzy minute is over thanks guys
Old 09-01-2015, 08:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

There's a study you might find interesting. Google "Rat Park", but to put it very simply, the happy contented rats in the nice healthy environment weren't Interested in drugs, while the rats in the crappy environment were.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We all turn to something, or inwards on ourselves I guess.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
quat

I really like Gladwell. Not sure , but off hand I think that study was on the population of Roseta , Pa. That study started from a conversation between two doctors at a conference or some such. One commented that he saw very little coronary disease among the population of his patients, they were first and second generation immigrants from Italy. I know someone who remembers being apart of the study, I think it was done in the 50's. Interesting conclusions .
Old 09-01-2015, 09:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's right I think, dwtbd, good memory!
Old 09-02-2015, 02:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Sleepie
Old 09-02-2015, 03:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I always look at social justice from the perspective. What can I do, not what can we do.

I can not change the world but on a very good day maybe I can make one person's life a little bit better and in its own small way i am changing the world. I can not be responsible for the actions of others but I am responsible for my actions
Old 09-02-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
...I listened to a bit of a Malcolm Gladwell book last year and he mentioned this study on a small population, maybe in Italy, that consumed plenty of fat, drank a bit- A BIT- and yet suffered extremely low rates of illness, depression and addiction and that it was due to the sense of community they had. They were all there for each other...
"Outliers: The Story of Success"

I read it earlier, this year - brilliant.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

where you live sleepie doesnt sound like a desireable place to live from my perspective. I live in a smaller rural area and people here tend to give more of a sh$t about others. there is a better sense of community. for example my wifes friends mother just died and everyones going to make dinners for a couple weeks for my wifes friend and her family so that its one less thing they gotta worry about over there.

this place isnt perfect tho far from.

I'm glad you have so much compassion.

I read recently a quote Compassion: "once you've seend the face of god you see the same face on everyone you meet"

all these alcoholics you see are not just alcoholics there people like you and me etc.. and it is sad.

The one AA meeting i was in where a drunk guy walked in and was acting well drunk you could see the look on everyones faces there. some of us where uncomfortable. some of us tried to ignore it. some of us had a look of fear as if to say OH MY that was me at one time! but there was one lady there that night she had this look of 100% compassion you could tell this guy was really tugging on her heart strings if you will. It told me a lot about her to see this look on her face. Shes someone who gives a dang and ya know when i first went to that meeting even tho I was already sober a year she had never met me before and gave me a big hug and said welcome etc..

It is sad tho. it can bring one down. It can also bring one up if there is anything we can do about it. Its difficult to witness people harming themselves I think more so when you've been there done that and you know a thing or 2 about living without having to do those things.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I kind of feel that we are responsible for each other.
But I am kind of a sucker and don't have the red flag thing that most people do. I had to read about it, reflect on my experiences and even though it goes against my will most of the time I now have to put my hand up to some kinds of people in their current states.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
zjw

the other thing to consider too is times are tough. life aint easy by any means for a lot of people. How many innocently turn to booze for a quick cheap relief to the struggles of this life totally unknowing that it will bloom in to full blown alcoholism. that is how it went down for me to some degree. Sure it was fun and games and then it was because I had a bad day then another next ya know I was hooked dependant and in the gutter and had no idea how i got there.