Notices

I already had enough.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I already had enough.

I was sitting in a bar during happy hour – don’t ask why - sipping my ice tea having a conversation with fellow patrons.
The gentleman asked me why I was drinking ice tea. I told him I didn’t drink anymore, I had enough.
He said, “You don’t look like you were drinking at all, what do you mean you already had enough, let me buy you a beer.” I told him I already had enough. He asked, “Do you mean you had enough today?”
I asked him how old he is. “I am thirteen years older than you,” I said. I quit drinking a year and a half ago. You have another forty years or so, thirty for sure to drink.” “I quit drinking when I was fifty-five years old.
“I can assure you that in my time I drank more than you and your wife combined will drink during your entire lifetime. I don’t need to drink anymore.”
He said, “I guess you had enough then. Good for you for quitting.”

I was visiting a family member and accompanied them on their routine visits to a local establishment. During that time, nobody gave me a second thought because I wasn’t drinking. The bartenders knew I was not drinking and made sure I had my club soda and cranberry with lime full. More than one regular was envious of the fact that I did not drink. I saw for the first time the phases of drinking from a sober perspective – it isn’t pretty. And it was easy to predict which persons would begin the “change” and when. I also observed the regulars who came in and nursed a drink or two then left. I noticed one person who could stay for a couple hours and drink only one cocktail. Amazing! And she wasn’t even driving.
I’m good with no longer drinking, or needing a drink. I’ve learned new ways to cope with life. And during the times when I did drink to get me through life, it was just a postponement of facing reality. One can only hide behind a drink for so long.

Yes, I already had enough.

p.s. I don't recommend hanging out in a bar for anyone who had to quit drinking. I couldn't imagine doing that on a regular basis. But it certainly was interesting to watch.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ha. One of my replies when people ask why I don't drink is, "I already drank my fair share."

Same idea, right? I don't need to test those waters any more. The experiment failed.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah i figure i was allotted only so many drinks in life and I drank them all. Now If i have more i have problems so I cant have any more.

I had the same issue with junk food. while I lost weight I thought to myself. sure that cake over there looks good but I still got a lot of cake on my a$$. I ate more then my fair share I already had cake more then enough even now I gotta burn off what i already ate.

It is a much different view from where we sit vs where others sit in a bar and vice versa.

Years ago before I drank this women used to come in tot he grocery store i worked at. I know who she was she lived accross the street and had recently been divorced. She started coming in and buy a bottle of boones wine practically daily. Now anyone who knows wine knows generally speaking boones wine is not like the classy brand per say but dont get me wrong I wont knock the stuff I liked it back in the day.. Anyhow I saw her come in daily buying this. then she'd come in buying 2 bottles at a time. And i could see as her physical appearance went more down hill. She was more shakey and I wondered if she wondered if i noticed. I watched her go down hill over they years. You'd think that would have kept me from drinking? nope.

But the view is different when you can watch as it ruins someone elses life. I recall another guy it would be 8am and the bar threw him out so they could close up. He'd be so drunk standing out front of the bar pacing just waiting for them to open up again. He had to be hands down the saddest alcoholic I'd ever laid eyes on. He was never sober. his wife would come get him off the corner and take him home. He'd puke on the sidewalk and go back into the bar for more it was so so sad. I swear he had no idea who he was or where he was. I could go on But he was me at my worst only he was like that 24/7.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I started off with voluminous mental essays about why I wasn't a drinker...

then I moved on to no thanks...

I just gesture at my cane and bad leg now.

Next phase...I hope to master the one raised eyebrow LOL

D
Old 09-01-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I never was a bar person. Living in an area with a lot of natural beauty, most people I knew worked out, even those who drank. In my 30's I ran in the evenings and in my 40's I was always working late, or biking, or at the gym. Yeah, I'd generally have a few after that, but after running 5 miles I usually craved orange juice, not a gin and tonic. Before I finally quit in my late 50's I got lazy and I'd just come home and have a few microbrews on the deck. Or wine with dinner. But to just go to a bar? I didn't know anyone who did that.

Maybe bars, and that heavy reinforcement of drinking are part of what turns people into such heavy drinkers. Or the engagement with healthy, athletic people does the opposite. I dunno, a lot of it seems cultural to me. I guess I'm in agreement on your point about not hanging out in bars, lol.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you, LB. I also can't stand bars these days...this is what I think every time I walk near a bar:

Old 09-02-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Excellent post L
Old 09-02-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Next phase...I hope to master the one raised eyebrow LOL

D
The one raised eyebrow unasks the question. Total zen.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

LB great post thanks ... You make a good point , I was made to quit , by my GP. The only thing stopping me ( sometimes ) is knowing my health issues will go faster down hill . Hate to admit I was that Woman ( bar fly ) what a pitiful sight
Hope you don't mind I may use that : I had enough or should I say my body did
Old 09-02-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great post. Had me laughing and am so glad I don't drink. I had enough too.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Excellent post, Brain!
I already had enough, too. I love my freedom too much to ever go back!
Old 09-02-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

You never really could tell. I was one of those people who came in, had 2 drinks, stopped at the liquor store on the way home and proceeded to go on a 5 day bender alone in my house.

I'll agree with you on the 'enough' part. Good for you.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

ah Otter, to be fair... I was never one to frequent bars when I was drinking. I hardly ever went to bars. But when I did, I would have my couple then go home and power drink to make up for lost time at the bar pretending I didn't drink. And at parties too. I would show up and mingle then leave before it got 'going'. That is why so many had no clue how bad off I was. I hid it well - I think.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
ah Otter, to be fair... I was never one to frequent bars when I was drinking. I hardly ever went to bars. But when I did, I would have my couple then go home and power drink to make up for lost time at the bar pretending I didn't drink. And at parties too. I would show up and mingle then leave before it got 'going'. That is why so many had no clue how bad off I was. I hid it well - I think.
I was the exact same way. I was perfectly capable of stopping to just have one or two at the brewpub each day on the way home from work. When I got home the real drinking started. I also used to drink a lot right before heading out to a party or social event so I could get good and buzzed up, then I'd just do mainteance drinking while at the party/bar, and return to the heavy drinking once I got home.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I made the switch away from the bar and club scene early on in my drinking days. I loved going to them but they had way too many built in problems. There was always the issue of getting popped for drunk driving, I also did not want to make an idiot out of myself in public (drunks have a way of doing that even though they think every word that comes out of their mouth is inspired wisdom), plus clubs and bars got very expensive and buying rounds for everyone in the bar was not that unusual. Drinking at home allowed me to drink until I passed out if I wanted to, it seemed like the only way to go (very twisted logic, I know).

I didn't quit until I was in my early fifties so there were not many questions as to why I was no longer drinking. When offered a drink I just say I gave it up and most people just respond with good for you or some other simple comment, no one has ever asked why. I do think that for much younger people the whole peer pressure thing has to be a lot greater.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

'I had 40 years of Drinkin' in me, but I used them up in 20.' ~ Charlie Sheen

'Stick a Fork in my Azz, I'm done.' ~ A Former Female Boss

'I drank an Ocean Tanker full of Scotch over 42 years. That was enough.' ~ Me

Great Thoughts, LBrain...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Mike Myers Eyebrow.jpg (32.5 KB, 1951 views)