Notices

How to fight cravings

Old 07-30-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to fight cravings

Hi,

Just wondering how everyone fights cravings in early recovery. I had one today (I didn't drink), but an hour later I was scratching my head trying to figure out where it came from and why. I just can't seem to figure out why my brain thinks drinking a 6 pack is a good idea when at the same time I know it really offers no benefit. Perhaps an hour or so of numbness, but then 6 plus hours of headache and regret.

Thanks
Old 07-30-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Roger - there's some really great tips here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 07-30-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi RogerD try this aswell http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

You done great not drinking Roger
Old 07-30-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Well RogerD , That AV will do that . I think he/she just sits in the corner & jumps out to scare you on purpose It has a mind of it's own . At first I thought I had a split personality mine was so bad !
I remember my first real bad one about a week in . Just doing my dishes POW grabbed me hard . I swear I had fingernail marks on the counter top ..
I took a few deep breaths , left the dishes in the sink . Went out side for a walk , it finally passed Still to this day - I can't think what brought it on .
I had already tossed out all cups - I would drink in . Nothing on the counters .
Anyways that's how I managed & over came them - I removed myself from what ever I was doing . Never sit & try to fight one .
AV does fade less & less with time - but I truly believe you have to always have a plan in place
Old 07-31-2015, 12:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Learning about HALT (hungry, angry, lonely, tired) has really made all the difference for me. I've realized that when I'm having a craving, it is tied to one of those feelings. I've been throwing booze at everything, when all I needed was a hug or a cheeseburger! Something else that triggers my cravings is shame and stress. As I learn to eliminate or manage all of those feelings/needs, I find that my cravings decrease quickly (or don't show up at all).

I'm only on day 11, so it's still a work in progress for me, but my cravings have not been half as bad as other times I've quit because I understand the causes of cravings better now.

Wishing you well, Roger.

Delfin
Old 08-02-2015, 05:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi.
A big help for me was to think immediately to start thinking of NON drinking thinking as usually the desire passes fairly quickly.

BE WELL
Old 08-02-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good nutrition is very important. Cravings can be physical, psychological or spiritual...I eat a low fat and carb diet. I take plenty of lean protein, lots of veggies and mixed berries. I start the day with a multivitamin protein shake with berries, spinach, broccoli and apple shake. I eat salads for lunch and a light dinner. I do exercise 5 times a week. I am also spiritually very connected to God and pray daily. I find this combination very powerful...diet alone without exercise doesn't work...exercise without proper nutrition won't work either..
Old 08-02-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I found avoidance of things and situations I knew to be triggering was a huge help - don't go to the bar, don't go near the bar at the restaurant, don't go down the beer aisle, don't go to the corner liquor store where the guy brings out my favorite bottle as soon as I walk in, don't go to drinking events, etc.

But even so, cravings come up and you can't avoid all triggers, and for me the next line of defense was distraction. Anything at all, just get your mind off the drinking thoughts and silence the reptile. Music was great for me, some people call others in recovery, or leave the room, or go for a walk, or play with their pet.

They get much less frequent and strong as you build time.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I do anything to keep my mind actively concentrating on something other than wanting to drink. 99% of the time that is reading something. I'll pick a subject, google it and just start reading. At night I probably read 3+ hours each night. Much of it right here.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sugary things in large quantities were by far the best craving suppressant helped me.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just embraced the misery. After I got through a couple I knew that they would pass. After a while they fade out. Have faith that it will get better if you just don't drink. That will only reset the misery. Nowadays I have the opposite of cravings, where I remember how awful drinking would make certain types of situations...
Old 08-03-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Let's not forget, if your battling alcohol addiction, you're going to have cravings. Telling on yourself can help a lot, and opening up about what's on your mind.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sugar - specifically, ice cream. As Delfin said, HALT was really important to me early on and still is if I'm feeling off. Am I hungry, angry, lonely or tired? Add thirsty to that. If I'm dehydrated I feel off. Water helps.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Two things: drink a milkshake and get to an AA meeting quickly. Sharing about having a desire to drink seems to lift it quickly.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

What is the underlying reason you abused alcohol?
I solved that while sober and it made alcohol paint, poison, useless and hated to me.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'll use another "mindfulness" tidbit I've started to use. Instead of "fighting" with cravings, I've learned to accept them ( along with other feelings ) to simply be thoughts that occur in my head. They are normal and inevitable, but i can control my reaction to them. Our minds generate all kind of crazy thoughts like this all day long that we don't necessarily act on. For example, we might have a thought that it would be really cool to own a new car or a new house, but for the most part we don't instantly run to the dealership and buy a new car.

So when you get a craving to drink alcohol, stop for a minute and just remind yourself that it's just a temporary feeling/thought. You don't have to follow it and it will go away.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

For me, the withdrawal symptoms early in recovery were all achey and weary, so I never had any craving. I felt such malaise in the first couple weeks that I only wanted to drink lemon water and green tea, like I would if I had the flu. I had never drank alcohol when I was sick, so there was no association with alcohol and feeling better. I didn't crave a glass of wine, I craved the taste of of herbal tea and a nap.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Why does our brain try to get us to drink when we know it's a terrible idea? Because alcohol is a highly addictive substance!

I think of cravings as a rogue wave. They sneak up on you, peak, crash, and recede. The trick is to ride the wave and remember that the feeling will pass.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
tea enthusiast

I find that drinking a hot drink (tea or coffee) removes cravings.
Not sure why this is. Maybe giving myself the opposite of what the craving wants (cold alcoholic drink)