Notices

What do you like best about being sober?

Old 07-25-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

No hangovers is huge! I mean the emotional hangover as well as the physical. I don't wake up consumed with guilt or embarrassment wondering what I did the night before.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Mornings.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:17 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

The end of the movie Almost Famous popped into my head when I read your question. A young reporter finally gets an interview with a band member.

William: "So Russell, what do you love about music?"

Russell: "To begin with. . .everything."
Old 07-25-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

MelindaFlowers-

I once had my bank account hacked overseas. My bank demanded I file a claim with them but also that they take my latest statement over to the police station to see if they could help.

Every other charge was a bar, a liquor store, or a beer distributor. Some nights you could tell I really partied because the charges would go throughout towns bars from one side to the other from 5pm to last call like clockwork. Then the gas station. The cop was not impressed and I was humiliated.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Not peeing the bed.

In all honesty, I know I'm a nicer person to my friends and family, and I'm much more in control of my life. Best of all though: I'm in much better shape physically. Without your health you have NOTHING!
Old 07-26-2015, 10:12 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Among other things...

I have come to understand that I am not the general manager of the universe, and that the world will continue to function without my intervention.

Also, the opinion that other people have of me is their business, not mine.

These were realizations that I did not expect to come to when I first got sober.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

For me one of the benefits of sobriety is not having to think to myself in the morning that I promised myself I would not drink the previous AM and I did it again anyways.

That’s one of my remember whens.

BE WELL
Old 07-27-2015, 05:05 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

So many things, but lately it's been the mornings. The huge relief that I am sober and without that dawning horror on awakening that I face another hungover day filled with shame and remorse and the terror that I am going to die.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:14 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Being able to handle life's problems head on & not need a drink to deal with them Waking up & not needing to pick up a drink to feel better !
Old 07-29-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Knowing what was said and done before going to sleep, no more panic attacks as I wake up alone in my bed at 2am, with my husband asleep on the couch because he couldnt stand to be in the same room with me.

Oh the phone calls/texts/facebook horrors! (and a few were to work )
Knowing I will not experience that shame and anxiety the next day

My children. Playing with them is a privilege, and something I am quite good at. It is no longer a chore and something I pretend to enjoy until I can sneak and hide to drink.

Plenty more but these 3 are enough for me, and keep me going
Old 07-29-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Editor

Mornings....I use to hate them...If I feel a little off...it isnt because I was a moron the the day before.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:20 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Another thing I like about living sober is that I take good care of my dogs and cats. When I was drinking I neglected their care sometimes. I still feel guilty about it but I know it won't happen again.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I love not drinking it because then I'm a great role model for my three children and I love myself for the person that I am.

Oh, and feeling great each day!

And, so many other things... I can relate to all the posts in this wonderful thread.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

My first post here.

Really amazing site and this was the thread I was looking for.

I had 7 years of Sobriety and 2 years ago had a glass of wine 1 night that turned into a 1-2 pints of Vodka every night over the last 2 years.

I miss feeling "Sober Minded" and Physical & Spiritual well being. Today is day 1.
Yaw are saying everything I needed to be reminded of that I lost and want to regain.
Jay
Old 07-29-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Welcome DiscipleJ ... so glad you found this site, you will get great support here.

I, too, had 7 years sobriety and then lost it... but I am back on track and really working on my recovery. Getting complacent on one's recovery is not a good thing -- that is how a relapse will happen.

Keep coming back here, it will help you immensely to stay sober.

One day at a time.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ItWillBeWorthIt View Post
Welcome DiscipleJ ... so glad you found this site, you will get great support here.

I, too, had 7 years sobriety and then lost it... but I am back on track and really working on my recovery. Getting complacent on one's recovery is not a good thing -- that is how a relapse will happen.

Keep coming back here, it will help you immensely to stay sober.

One day at a time.
Thanks. Really am liking this thread and I feel like everyone here is telling my daily life story lol. It's funny how many things Drunkards have in common. Drunk and Sober.

I love lifting weights in the Gym at 5 am and the Alcohol has stole that from me. Can't wait to work out without a pint flowing through my veins.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

DiscipleJ wrote: "Thanks. Really am liking this thread and I feel like everyone here is telling my daily life story lol. It's funny how many things Drunkards have in common. Drunk and Sober.

I love lifting weights in the Gym at 5 am and the Alcohol has stole that from me. Can't wait to work out without a pint flowing through my veins."

Dude, one of the simple pleasures of sober life is hitting the gym at 5:30am. Workouts keep getting better, and it feel great getting rid of the alcohol fat. It's a big part of my plan and I hope it helps you, too.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I like that my face is not red anymore. I used to work with children and you know how they verbalize whatever they notice? At least a half dozen times I had children ask me, "Why is your face so red?"

It would have stung less if they were making fun of me. It pierced me because they were just genuinely curious.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

So many things.

My beloved Grandmother just passed away very suddenly and peacefully.

I like that I have been asked and trusted with giving a reading at the funeral mass. I will not be sick or hungover and I am sad but also happy that they have faith and trust in me.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I like when a cop is following me and I get that nervous feeling in my stomach. I then realize I have nothing to worry about and chuckle. It's all about the little things.
Knowing I have the freedom to do what I want, when I want and not being shackled by the suffocating grip of constant intoxication.