Notices

Can't sleep

Old 06-29-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't sleep

With all these awful regrets, I have such a hard time sleeping. Didn't go to work today and my boss absolutely needs me there tomorrow morning... Don't even know how I'll get there without a car
Old 06-29-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It is hard, especially at first. You need to remember though that the cure is staying sober and moving forward. I'm sure you can take a cab or get a ride to work, staying home and hiding will only cause more problems
Old 06-29-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are completely right, but it's just the dreams and when I wake up it's very awful, but I've got to man up and face the bad dreams I guess.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It will get better, things are raw now. Have you considered and local support or meetings/counseling? It can be very helpful to be around those who understand, especially at first.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

It took quite a while before my sleep patterns looked anything close to what I believed were most people's sleep patterns. With that said, I began to ask myself, "Why do I think I need to sleep the same as others?" Yet another symptom of my alcoholism - the feeling that I need to be the same as I think everyone else is, to be ok. I found not trying to force my sleep patterns to look like what I thought other's looked like saved me a lot of grief.

I look at sobriety as a two-pronged deal. Prong one is no drinking - obviously. Prong two is learning/practicing how to live life as a sober person. As tough as the first one was, it was the second that really puts us to the test.

GETTING sober is a necessary start but it doesn't mean much if I don't STAY sober. I could quit, for a time, lot's of times but what I hadn't learned was how to navigate life and stay sober - certainly not sober AND happy. It's this piece that sets so many of us up for relapse. Once we find out that "not drinking" doesn't feel much better than we remember drinking felt, we obviously go back to what we've done and relied upon for so long.

Learning how to be happy, at ease, and content WHILE not drinking was a task I had no experience with. I wasn't all that sure it was possible but I did know a lot of folks who claimed that's what they were experiencing. As much as I didn't want to (ego, like to do things on my own, afraid to ask for help, didn't think I'd need any help, etc), it made logical sense for me to see what "those folks" were doing, ask questions and ask for help to do what seemed to be working for them.

Many of the practices that I picked up at first (the ones that seemed to make sense and didn't appear to be too hard) helped a little but there was still a whole lot missing and I knew it. Eventually I started to do the things I didn't want to do and didn't think would work because I was running out of options and I knew what would come, sooner or later, if I didn't get my act together. As one of my mentors said over and over to us, "If you want to stay sober AND HAPPY.....for the rest of your life...... You're going to have to do a lot of things you don't want to do." That made sense to me.....but I didn't like what it implied. I can say now, with more than several years behind me, the majority of my happiness, serenity, and contentedness now stems more from actions I don't like/don't think with work/don't feel like doing.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice! It was really helpful, last night I slept a bit better, had a better day at work and it's going better and better since I've decided to stop drinking
Old 07-02-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
With all these awful regrets, I have such a hard time sleeping. Didn't go to work today and my boss absolutely needs me there tomorrow morning... Don't even know how I'll get there without a car
Hi Anthem, take it for what its worth but I think you have some things right now that are critical...and urgent. I would focus 110% of my energy on those things. Like getting to work, transportation etc...focus on the bare essentials right now before everything unravels completely. I know that sounds grim, but from your posts thats the feeling I am getting by reading them. Best of luck.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Take all those regrets and toss them in the trash.
It's time for you to write a new book. One with a title "My life without alcohol".
I think you will look back years from now and like what you see.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Anthem,

Sleep was a big problem for me as well. Things will start to settle down, this is a huge change in your life and its not surprising that it can feel a bit overwhelming for a time. You'll get there

Daytrader, thanks so much for your post about trying things you didn't want to do. Very relevant to me at the moment!