Notices

Why do so many people play The "Victim"?

Old 07-04-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by mcfearless View Post
Personally I don't "coddle" the alcoholic in me. I lord over him like a vicious tyrant. He will whine and plead and try smooth talk and seduce me, but I won't have any of it. He's a pathetic, weak, useless, manipulative, sly and toxic individual and I'd be an idiot to concern myself with what he wants and even give him half an opportunity to get his way.
Thanks for your response mcfearless. I see you have personified the alcoholic in you. I'm thinking how do you square your personal responsibility now for your past drinking? My alcoholism is an illness of mind, body, and spirit. I don't give it a personality. I drank for the effect. I take responsibility for my past drunkenness as a chronic alcoholic, and for my sobriety. Sure, I did things drunk I wouldn't do sober. Doesn't mean I do better to blame my alcoholism for my past drinking. Alcoholic or not, I'm still the guy who picked up those drinks. And I'm the guy who now doesn't pick up.

"Personally I don't "coddle" the alcoholic in me. I lord over him like a vicious tyrant." Yeah, I understand your statement. For me, it's a waste of myself to either coddle or lord over my alcoholism. Either way, both extremes would have me feeling weird and confused. Being sober has freed me from my alcoholism. I don't "talk" with my alcoholism. It isn't something clever or whatever trying to seduce me back to drinking. When I was actively drinking, sure I talked with myself as a lost drunk and blaming the alcohol itself for my troubles. All that fighting was just me pretending I cared about staying quit. All I was really doing was setting traps for myself so as to make it really difficult to stay quit since I was "fighting" with my alcoholism. Yeah. It was all bullcrap. I had myself convinced alcohol was my big trouble, when in fact I was my own trouble.

Now I'm still an alcoholic. The big deal now is I'm a recovered alcoholic. And I don't pretend to be fighting with my alcoholism. There is no fight to fight. There never was. I was just playing myself stupid so as I could justify my staying drinking and hating myself for it. I lost every fight I had with myself about my drinking.

Let me ask you if you see a day when your alcoholism won't need to be lorded over anymore?
Old 07-04-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Interesting question. Firstly, I believe there are legitimate people who are victims, no question. With that being said, in the US, I think the victim thing has become cultural. And that's a long drawn out discussion. But everyone's a victim, the lack of accountability is pathetic. You can thank corporatism and lawyers for that (no offense to anyone in the legal community).

I will add this, and it is strictly my own opinion, I don't feel too strongly about much, I try to stay middle of the road on everything. But I feel VERY strongly about the victimization thing. People need thicker skin, to be held accountable, and buck up once in a while. My god, enough with the hand-holding all the time.
This lies at the heart of my sentiments. The pendulum has swung too far in the West away from personal responsibility. I think this harms people's potential to acknowledge that the power lies in them to control their own lives. We've gone too far in entitling everyone to feel like a righteous victim.

Not a popular idea in the hyper liberal west right now, but it's a contributing factor in the current epidemic of addiction whether that's pleasant and politically correct to acknowledge or not.

Not every nail needs a hammer, but it's ludicrous to imply none do.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
Thanks for your response mcfearless. I see you have personified the alcoholic in you. I'm thinking how do you square your personal responsibility now for your past drinking?
Without alcohol I've yet to harm a single person intentionally. I'm a better person in every way. I'm kinder, more responsible, more considerate and a useful member of society. I "square" my past (in which I hurt many people including myself) by doing all I can to "take care of my own nonsense". To not inflict myself as a drunk onto others. I'm powerless to change the past, but not the future. I try control that which is in my power. And the minute I allow myself the weakness to even consider that not drinking is not in my power......there's a good chance I'm going to drink.

This is a tough lesson to learn and keep learning.

My alcoholism is an illness of mind, body, and spirit. I don't give it a personality. I drank for the effect. I take responsibility for my past drunkenness as a chronic alcoholic, and for my sobriety. Sure, I did things drunk I wouldn't do sober. Doesn't mean I do better to blame my alcoholism for my past drinking. Alcoholic or not, I'm still the guy who picked up those drinks. And I'm the guy who now doesn't pick up.
I feel the same way. I don't consider alcohol a mitigating factor for my behavior. Nobody ever forced alcohol down my throat. I did that. Nobody is forcing me not to drink. I have to do that too.

"Personally I don't "coddle" the alcoholic in me. I lord over him like a vicious tyrant." Yeah, I understand your statement. For me, it's a waste of myself to either coddle or lord over my alcoholism. Either way, both extremes would have me feeling weird and confused. Being sober has freed me from my alcoholism. I don't "talk" with my alcoholism. It isn't something clever or whatever trying to seduce me back to drinking. When I was actively drinking, sure I talked with myself as a lost drunk and blaming the alcohol itself for my troubles. All that fighting was just me pretending I cared about staying quit. All I was really doing was setting traps for myself so as to make it really difficult to stay quit since I was "fighting" with my alcoholism. Yeah. It was all bullcrap. I had myself convinced alcohol was my big trouble, when in fact I was my own trouble.
I try not expose myself to triggering situations but I refuse to mold my life around that. I've failed at abstaining many, many times. Each time I look back and was harder and harder on myself. I consider myself a reasonably intelligent person but yes, alcohol is a very tough nut to crack. I by no means am so self assured and arrogant to proclaim I definitely will never drink again. There are things that will inevitably come that could happen that will affect me more than my desire to stay sober. Death/loss of a loved one, tragedy of some magnitude etc. I can't with confidence say I'll overcome that hurdle. All I can hope when such a time arises is that I can rationalize via past experience that alcohol has never made anything better for me....only much worse.

Now I'm still an alcoholic. The big deal now is I'm a recovered alcoholic. And I don't pretend to be fighting with my alcoholism. There is no fight to fight. There never was. I was just playing myself stupid so as I could justify my staying drinking and hating myself for it. I lost every fight I had with myself about my drinking.
I relate. But I'm still not comfortable around alcohol. I don't crave but I have anxiety. I went for a lunch today with a friend who was drinking beer while we watched a rugby match. I ordered my coke zero and for a micro second I thought "Wouldn't a beer be.........NO ! SHUT UP YOU SLIMY WEAK PATHETIC IDIOT ! DRINK YOUR COKE AND ENJOY YOUR MEAL YOU PATHETIC WEASAL" and it was done. Drank my coke. Enjoyed the steak and mid winter win. Looked at the pretty girls and went home and had a nice long walk. I know I will hate myself for having a beer ! It will prove how weak I am ! How soft i am. What little backbone I have. Our grandfathers and great grandfather rushed themselves over trenches into machine gun fire and not having a drink is my big drama ? Get over yourself mcfearless ! Some people have real problems ! (This implies to life in general as I see it in many aspects. Everyone and their dog has a therapist today. How about some good old fashioned "byt vas" as we say here in South Africa - "Bite hard" literally but " hang tough" is the sentiment). Good old stubborn machismo !

Let me ask you if you see a day when your alcoholism won't need to be lorded over anymore
I live in hope. I do see that such thoughts as I experienced today are less and less. What were months ago long sided debates which I often lost are now very sure and steadfast. I'm stubborn and intolerant of the alcoholic in me. I've personified him because he is me.....me with a few drinks. And I have no time for that piece of low life.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by interruptedgirl View Post

Sometimes the only way to keep breathing, and having any hope for recovery is as simple as hearing we are not alone. Sometimes the only way to stay recovered is the reminder that we are not alone. Empathy, grace, and support works both ways.
Not to nitpick, but don't you think the idea might be helpful for some people (who again may be susceptible to AN ILLUSION of lack of control) to acknowledge that you are alone : You and your Alcoholism. Nobody is forcing you to drink. And it won't be easy but it's simply a matter (except for extreme cases where medical factors are in play) for you to just ....well.......stop hurting yourself ? Or to be at least informed that the power DOES LIE IN YOU to do so ? And only you, if it's really important to you, have the power to put it in it's place ?

It's sad so many people who fall back on their justifications for drinking and consider themselves powerless suddenly find the power to quit when they get a scary liver exam result, or become pregnant etc. Suddenly then we find people discovering their "power".

It was there ALL ALONG.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I'd like to add that I really like the person that I am without alcohol. I take the time to make others feel good. I'm less negative and cynical. I actually do what I say I will do. I work harder. I'm looking 5 years younger and fitter. I'm appreciative of the efforts of others. I play more with my dogs. I'm more genuine with people I meet and less socially anxious. Silly example maybe but I returned some books my sister in law loaned me last week....with a box of chocolates as a thanks. No agenda. Far from being ashamed, I'm the type of man I am proud to be.

The promotion of the idea of universal victim hood, while a demonstration and desire to show empathy towards the subjective experiences of others is admirable. Just in specific cases harmful. I think we all agree on this. Of course I'm not proposing the first line of approach to a suffering alcoholic is berating them. And as many have pointed out you need specifically more data and context before you can recommend a healthy dose of "tough love". That would be irresponsible and potentially harmful. But can we admit that a universal "coddling" approach also needs to be handed out with caution, also with a healthy dose of data and context ?
Old 07-04-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

...I feel the same way. I don't consider alcohol a mitigating factor for my behavior. Nobody ever forced alcohol down my throat. I did that. Nobody is forcing me not to drink. I have to do that too.
Yup. It's always on us to make the sober choices and take the actions required to keep sober. Initially its hell on earth quitting, for many of us. With right living staying quit gets easier and more doable. Eventually it just becomes second nature to keep sober. And if it doesn't, this simply means more changes are required. Staying sober doesn't have to mean a lifetime of struggle against drinking.

...I try not expose myself to triggering situations but I refuse to mold my life around that. I've failed at abstaining many, many times. Each time I look back and was harder and harder on myself. I consider myself a reasonably intelligent person but yes, alcohol is a very tough nut to crack. I by no means am so self assured and arrogant to proclaim I definitely will never drink again. There are things that will inevitably come that could happen that will affect me more than my desire to stay sober. Death/loss of a loved one, tragedy of some magnitude etc. I can't with confidence say I'll overcome that hurdle. All I can hope when such a time arises is that I can rationalize via past experience that alcohol has never made anything better for me....only much worse.
I've been saying I'll never drink again since the same day I quit back 1981. I didn't say it because I was so self-assured. Didn't say it because I finally found my way. I said it because for the last time I finally accepted I was going to die as a drunken drunk all messed up. I finally accepted as an alcoholic, there would always be an ill part of me that wanted booze. I finally accepted that unless I stayed quit I didn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of staying alive.

Other times I had sworn off alcohol and always returned to drinking. These failures happened because I was still unwilling to change myself into a non-drinker. I still had hopes I could eventually control my sobriety with a few drinks here or there. This choice to not fully become non-drinker sunk my sober boat every time, and in the sinking I did the drinking. Like I planned it out of course. I was just lying to myself about the control. I'd already proved by years of failure I couldn't control my drinking. Just lied to myself so as to get that next drink.

The other thing I did which was a real change is I finally reached out for help from other alcoholics. I did a supervised detox in my rehab, stayed three months doing the in-house program, in-house therapy, and did my AA 12 steps. At three months I graduated and completed my AA program. I also became a spiritual believer in a God of my understanding. These were the changes required for me to stay quit for now and forever as well. I've had my sobriety tested many times by the circumstances of my life. Didn't pick up. In fact, I'm even stronger in my sobriety today than I've ever been. So yeah. I'll never drink again. Ever.

...I live in hope. I do see that such thoughts as I experienced today are less and less. What were months ago long sided debates which I often lost are now very sure and steadfast. I'm stubborn and intolerant of the alcoholic in me. I've personified him because he is me.....me with a few drinks. And I have no time for that piece of low life.
Yeah, I remember hating myself for being alcoholic. Extreme hate. This self-hate though had to pass as I stayed sober because hate is that kind of thing that doesn't respect personal boundaries, and so hating the alcoholic in me all to soon spilled over into my original self-hate which caused me to drink alcoholically in the first place back when I was 12. This original self-hate was never dealt with besides all the drinking I did over it to keep the hate strong. So, it had to go for me to stay sober. And so it went, and so did the self-created hate I had for being an alcoholic. This took up my first year of sobriety. Into my later years I just kept tweaking what I now knew worked. Now I had confidence in my sobriety, but not before I had earned my way to this understanding. And here we are today.

Thanks for your thoughtful responses mcfearless.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
Yup. It's always on us to make the sober choices and take the actions required to keep sober. Initially its hell on earth quitting, for many of us. With right living staying quit gets easier and more doable. Eventually it just becomes second nature to keep sober. And if it doesn't, this simply means more changes are required. Staying sober doesn't have to mean a lifetime of struggle against drinking.

I've been saying I'll never drink again since the same day I quit back 1981. I didn't say it because I was so self-assured. Didn't say it because I finally found my way. I said it because for the last time I finally accepted I was going to die as a drunken drunk all messed up. I finally accepted as an alcoholic, there would always be an ill part of me that wanted booze. I finally accepted that unless I stayed quit I didn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of staying alive.

Other times I had sworn off alcohol and always returned to drinking. These failures happened because I was still unwilling to change myself into a non-drinker. I still had hopes I could eventually control my sobriety with a few drinks here or there. This choice to not fully become non-drinker sunk my sober boat every time, and in the sinking I did the drinking. Like I planned it out of course. I was just lying to myself about the control. I'd already proved by years of failure I couldn't control my drinking. Just lied to myself so as to get that next drink.

The other thing I did which was a real change is I finally reached out for help from other alcoholics. I did a supervised detox in my rehab, stayed three months doing the in-house program, in-house therapy, and did my AA 12 steps. At three months I graduated and completed my AA program. I also became a spiritual believer in a God of my understanding. These were the changes required for me to stay quit for now and forever as well. I've had my sobriety tested many times by the circumstances of my life. Didn't pick up. In fact, I'm even stronger in my sobriety today than I've ever been. So yeah. I'll never drink again. Ever.

Yeah, I remember hating myself for being alcoholic. Extreme hate. This self-hate though had to pass as I stayed sober because hate is that kind of thing that doesn't respect personal boundaries, and so hating the alcoholic in me all to soon spilled over into my original self-hate which caused me to drink alcoholically in the first place back when I was 12. This original self-hate was never dealt with besides all the drinking I did over it to keep the hate strong. So, it had to go for me to stay sober. And so it went, and so did the self-created hate I had for being an alcoholic. This took up my first year of sobriety. Into my later years I just kept tweaking what I now knew worked. Now I had confidence in my sobriety, but not before I had earned my way to this understanding. And here we are today.

Thanks for your thoughtful responses mcfearless.
And thank you for yours. I am steadfast in my determination to never drink again. But things are going very well for me lately (stopping drinking alcohol has played a huge role in that) but who knows what the future holds.

I can still imagine there would be a situation in what I might slip and drink though.....but it would have to be the type of situation whereby I existentially fall into an abyss of nihilistic giving up on life and myself (something that drastic). But even then I have high hopes that I'll toughen up and not do it as an f-u to alcohol (which has caused me so much pain and harm). So even then I'll have to call on my "hate" of alcohol (or alcohol and me)....so I don't think I'll ever truly let go of that.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I would say people 'play' the victim or the hero because civilization is a dialectic. We are trying to get at something integral in the human experience that needs to be assessed so that we can evolve.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Oh, at the risk of complicating things, THIS happens on Internet forums:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karpman_drama_triangle

Karpman used triangles to model conflicted or drama intense relationship transactions. He defined three roles in the relationship; Persecutor, Rescuer (the one up positions) and Victim (one down position). Karpman placed these three roles on an inverted triangle and referred to them as being the three aspects, or faces of drama. Karpman, who had interests in acting and was a member of the*screen actors guild, choose the term "drama triangle" rather the term "conflict triangle" as the Victim in his model is not intended to represent an actual victim, but rather someone feeling or acting like a victim.[2]

The Persecutor:*The Persecutor insists,"It's all your fault."*The Persecutor is controlling, blaming, critical, oppressive, angry, authoritative, rigid, and superior.The Victim:*The Victim is of course persecuted. The Victim's stance is*"Poor me!"The Victim feels victimized, oppressed, helpless, hopeless, powerless, ashamed, and seems unable to make decisions, solve problems, take pleasure in life, or achieve insight. The Victim, if not being persecuted, will seek out a Persecutor and also a Rescuer who will "save" the day but also perpetuate the Victim's negative feelings.The Rescuer:*The rescuer's line is "Let me help you." A classic enabler, the Rescuer feels guilty if he/she doesn't go to the rescue. Yet his/her rescuing has negative effects: It keeps the Victim dependent and gives the Victim permission to fail. The rewards derived from this rescue role are that the focus is taken off of the rescuer. When he/she focuses their energy on someone else, it enables them to ignore their own anxiety and issues. This rescue role is also very pivotal, because their actual primary interest is really an avoidance of their own problems disguised as concern for the victim’s needs.[citation needed]

Initially, a drama triangle arises when a person takes on the role of a victim or persecutor. This person then feels the need to enlist other players in to the conflict. These enlisted players take on roles of their own that are not static and therefore various scenarios can occur. For example, the victim might turn on the rescuer, the rescuer then switches to persecuting — or as often happens, a rescuer is encouraged to enter the situation.[8]

The motivations for each participant and the reason the situation endures is that each gets their unspoken (and frequently unconscious) psychological wishes/needs met in a manner they feel justified, without having to acknowledge the broader*dysfunction*or harm done in the situation as a whole. As such, each participant is acting upon their own*selfish*needs, rather than acting in a genuinely responsible or*Altruisticmanner.[citation needed]*Thus a character might"ordinarily come on like a plaintive victim; it is now clear that she can switch into the role of Persecutor providing it is 'accidental' and she apologizes for it".[8]

The motivations of the rescuer is the least obvious. In the terms of the drama triangle, the rescuer is someone who has a mixed or covert motive and is actually benefitingegoically*in some way from being "the one who rescues". The rescuer has a surface motive of resolving the problem, and appears to make great efforts to solve it, but also has a hidden motive to not succeed, or to succeed in a way that they benefit. For example, they may get a self-esteem boost or receive respected rescue status, or derive enjoyment by having someone depend on them and trust them - and act in a way that ostensibly seems to be trying to help, but at a deeper level plays upon the victim in order to continue getting a payoff.[citation needed].

In some cases, the relationship between the victim and the rescuer can be one ofcodependency.[9]*The rescuer keeps the victim dependent on them by encouraging their victimhood. The victim gets their needs met by having the rescuer take care of them.

In general, participants tend to have a primary or habitual role (victim, rescuer, persecutor) when they enter into drama triangles. Participants first learn their habitual role in our family of origin. Even though participants each have a role with which they most identify, once on the triangle, participants rotate through all the positions, going completely around the triangle.[10]

Each triangle has a*payoff*for those playing it. The*antithesis*of a drama triangle lies in discovering how to deprive the actors of their payoff.[2]
P
Old 07-04-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I think life circumstances do play a big part in the roles we play out in life. Do we all have a breaking point at which we would just surrender to the role of victimhood? I don't know but I do think we all have a different degree of stamina to keep bouncing back from accumulated failure, pain, suffering, loss and all the other bad stuff. I don't think we can really judge anyone else when we're not living life with their collection of memories.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:34 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
I think life circumstances do play a big part in the roles we play out in life. Do we all have a breaking point at which we would just surrender to the role of victimhood?
I'm sure we do. When we reach this breaking point what's more likely to help us ?

A) Being told your perceived helplessness is valid and starting administering a social form of Palliative care?
B) Being told that you are not helpless and you have the power to change you situation ?

I don't know but I do think we all have a different degree of stamina to keep bouncing back from accumulated failure, pain, suffering, loss and all the other bad stuff. I don't think we can really judge anyone else when we're not living life with their collection of memories.
No, but we can look back at previous generations and individuals whose guts and determination to overcome hurdles far greater than many of us ever face. Those who put themselves over the trenches in the first world war into machine gun fire. Those who put themselves into fighter plans and bombers knowing that 25% would only survive to fight for what they believed was a greater good in world war 2. I only mention wars because that's the one of the most horrible situation an individual can find them self in and in great numbers massive adversity was faced through the stubborn mindedness of will. Deciding not to take a drug is not, relatively speaking, difficult. A human being is capable of insurmountable deeds of bravery if encouraged to dig deep, all we required is a culture that demands self sacrifice and excellence. Rather than a culture that holds us to the standards of children who can't know any better.

I'm not trying to belittle the struggle with putting down the bottle. I would not be here as an alcoholic if I did not know just how difficult it is. But all things equal is enabling the idea that individuals who won't stop drinking because it's too difficult are really digging deep enough healthy ?

Surely we need some carrot.....but also some stick ?
Old 07-05-2015, 12:55 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Something just occurred to me while reading another thread. Is the passive aggression towards my ideas based on the 12 steps premise that recovery necessitates "acknowledging that you are powerless" and "giving in to a higher power" ?
Old 07-05-2015, 01:37 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Something just occurred to me while reading another thread. Is the passive aggression towards my ideas based on the 12 steps premise that recovery necessitates "acknowledging that you are powerless" and "giving in to a higher power" ?
Might well be Many here including myself are members of A A

Your theory of self empowerment seems to run counter to the 12 steps

But at the end of the day its all good
Old 07-05-2015, 01:38 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paulokes View Post
Oh, at the risk of complicating things, THIS happens on Internet forums:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karpman_drama_triangle

P
Interesting.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2015, 02:55 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
Might well be Many here including myself are members of A A

Your theory of self empowerment seems to run counter to the 12 steps

But at the end of the day its all good
I agree if any approach helps anyone then it is all good. If the 12 steps works (as it seemingly does for many) then by all means I encourage people to explore it. I just say cut out the middle man and self empower.... yourself. No one better to do it than yourself right ? Clue is in the concept "self empowerment". Any idea that starts with "I can't" is to be absurdly counter productive to this concept. It's sort of the exact opposite to me : You can't ? ONLY YOU CAN !

Hence I do stand by "tough love if sometimes needed when someone has a pathology of self pity".
Old 07-05-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Hence I do stand by "tough love if sometimes needed when someone has a pathology of self pity".
Speaking personally, I hope sooner than later you revisit your stated remedy for self-pity. Like we've already discussed at length I'm thinking better options are available for mitigating a pathology of self-pity. I've now pretty well said as much as I'm going to say in this thread. No sense in my presenting the same talking points again and again, yeah?

Thanks for the sharing mcfearless. Take it easy and enjoy the day. I'm doing the same. Later.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think this topic has run its course folks. Let's also remember our goal here is to help each other with our addictions, not debate recovery methods or political views. Thread closed...let's help some newcomers today.