Notices

Alcohol has taken me

Old 06-27-2015, 10:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol has taken me

Hi. I haven't been on here in quite awhile. But after 4 months sober for some stupid reason I thought I could handle it. So here I am again drinking. Wide awake and with no one to talk to. Is there anyone out there who can understand?
Old 06-27-2015, 10:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DeannaM77 View Post
Is there anyone out there who can understand?
Hi Deanna. Yes. You did have four months though, so you were doing something right.

For me, quitting was just the first step in the right direction. I then had to work on creating a life that doesn't involve the need for alcohol. I'm still working on that part. Just stopping the booze, but keeping everything else in my life the same didn't work.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Deanna.

And I understand. Four months is the number that I fell off of last year when I first tried quitting. I didn't have any support or people to chat with like SR at the time, so when I fell off I stayed off for 8 months before realizing I was drinking again.

So don't do that! You fell off, but you did the 4 months. That's great! You know you can do this, so maybe you need to reconsider what your sober plan has been? Or maybe find some other things in your life to additionally reconstruct for sobriety?

Don't beat yourself up. You slipped; keep it just that, a single slip, and then get back to sobriety!
Old 06-28-2015, 12:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Deanna.
I think most of us fell for that line, and paid the price.

You can use that knowledge to make this time, the lasting time

It all starts with a Day One...

D
Old 06-28-2015, 04:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi.

When I started to be ready to stop drinking the only show in town to help is AA as it was a period that no one had ever heard of the internet.

Today AA and sites like this help many people but don’t keep us sober. That requires the work we learn is needed to stay sober there which is a lifelong process rather than a quick fix and get on with life. If an alcoholic continues to drink our lives will be more miserable and we can figure this day will be our best compared to the future because alcoholism is progressive and never gets better unless we simply stop using it one day at a time in a row.

BE WELL
Old 06-28-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The title of your posts states that "alcohol has taken me". That's not true at all, but its trying. You had a tremendous stretch of 4 months. I don't mean to diminish the seriousness of your slip, but shake it off, learn, and move on. I wish you the best.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My last relapse was after roughly 4 months sober as well...lasted for around 6...so yes I understand.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back Deanna!!
Old 06-29-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Yes, Deanna- I have had the same happen.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that a good 'most' of us have had that moment when we felt like we were in control, were doing so well and felt like we could have one drink or two to celebrate.

The great news is you are back. Do whatever it takes to stay sober- we will be here for you!
Old 06-29-2015, 12:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was sober for a month and I slipped last week. I know how frustrating it is, but I think we learn from the experience. Don't get discouraged! Personally, these past few days I've found going for a run to be the perfect solution when I just can't stop thinking about drinking. I'm sure it'll get easier as time goes on, but I think staying busy is important during early sobriety. For me at least.

Good luck, you can do this!
Old 06-29-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

how are you Deanna?

D
Old 06-29-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hope you get through this, I was sober for 6 months and I'm now worse than ever, so you're not alone, let's get back on the wagon together!

Cheers
Old 06-29-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
waking down

Every day is a new day.

Last night I dreamt I got drunk. I was relieved to wake up and realize it was a dream. But whether I really got drunk or not doesn't matter (although not having a hangover is nice). The point is...

Every day is a new day.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm really glad to see you back Deanna. Please never stop trying for a better life. You can get back the progress you made in the past. We're here to listen and help.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of the support. It means a lot and is very appreciated. I'm going to start over again because I already know that I can do this. And I am so much happier when I am not drinking. ☺
Old 07-01-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad to hear it Deanna, SR is always here for you too. Do you have any ideas of what kind of plan or program you might use this time?
Old 07-01-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk Deanna theres a sticky in newcomers saying what we did

its very useful in plan building
Old 07-01-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Is today day one Deanna?

D
Old 07-02-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You should maybe start exploring new activities that you've never tried before. After you find some that you like, use those activities to take up your free time and steer your mind clear of drinking. Keep yourself busy and with that will come the friendships.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DeannaM77 View Post
Hi. I haven't been on here in quite awhile. But after 4 months sober for some stupid reason I thought I could handle it. So here I am again drinking. Wide awake and with no one to talk to. Is there anyone out there who can understand?
Yup! Been where you are. I still hear my sick self trying to convince me I can drink normal again.

Feel for you. Don't give it.