Notices

Embarrassing side effect of binging

Old 06-09-2015, 09:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Embarrassing side effect of binging

So, I mentioned this in my first post on SR which was just over a year ago now, but I wanted to bring it up again. For one, as a reminder of why I don't drink anymore and second, to see if anyone else has had this happen.....

Every once in awhile when I had blackouts, I'd wet the bed. I've broken like 3 or 4 phones because I pass out with it in my pocket and it gets soaked.

This happened once in high school and then quite a bit in college. Twice in college, it was absolutely mortifying. I passed out on a couch at a friend's house and it happened. And once while on a group camping trip, I wet the sleeping bag and it got all over two others. That was really really really really embarassing. I made up some excuse about how I thought I'd opened the tent to pee outside, but had missed and didn't notice it since it was dark and I didn't have my glasses on.

Since college, it's happend less frequently, but still a regular occurrence. I cannot even behind to describe the panic that sets when I realized what's happened.

I know I'm not the only one this happens to as I know of at least 4 people in my fraternity that this happened to very regularly, even more than me, and constantly in places where others noticed. I have an uncanny ability to get to my bed, so was saved getting mortified a few more times.

Anyway, no real purpose of this post, other than to remind myself that if I never drink again, I'll never wake up again to soaked sheets (or chair in my living room) and a broken phone. This only ever happend when I was out drinking and blacked out, never when I just drank at home alone. Not sure why, but I think because I'd use the bathroom a lot more when at home drinking and usually stuck to just vodka/chaser, so a lot less liquid.

I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem who posts on here and if so, if they use it as motivation to stay quit.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oops, posted to the wrong place. Mods, can this be moved to the Newcomers?
Old 06-09-2015, 09:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ummmm..... I do the same thing. The first time I was 20. I woke up in a bed with my friend and her boyfriend (fully clothed). I thought I must have spilled beer. Her boyfriend was livid. I was still drunk and tried to play it off like it was funny. I came back later with cleaning supplies and tried to find humor in it. It's really not funny. It's actually really gross and frustrating. I got really good at waking up and putting towels down and flipping couch cushions. Nothing I miss about that. Definitely motivation to not drink.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Strangely, I've gone pee pee in some inappropriate places indoors but always had the presence of "mind" to unzip my fly, just not enough presence of "mind" to find the toilet. Let the brain scientists figure that one out. I did experience this phenomenon from the other side once though. My roommate had an out of town visitor and she stumbled into my bed drunk, fell asleep, relieved herself and then snored all night. Embarrassing.

I know, too much information. I guess the takeaway is that if a drug that causes you to lose basic capabilities you learned by age two such as toilet training, it should probably be avoided.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
I guess the takeaway is that if a drug that causes you to lose basic capabilities you learned by age two such as toilet training, it should probably be avoided.
Boiled down to it, that's so so! Just thinking about it makes me cringe.

Sorry again for posting this in the wrong forum.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi mets - because you started another thread in this forum., I just merged them here.

I had a lot of embarrassing things happen to me over 30 years. None of them ever stopped me drinking, or not for long.

Lasting motivation for me comes from simply living the life I should have led all along.

Shame doesn't drive me - but a quiet satisfaction that I've finally got this right does

D
Old 06-11-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I think I'm still a long way from feeling like "I've finally got this," but with every passing day and new social situation I navigate while sober, it does seem increasingly possible that I can stay sober forever.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In my first year of marriage my wife and I went to a wedding and then the reception. I woke up in the middle of the night to her yelling at me because I was peeing in the laundry basket, I thought it was the toilet.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, that happened to me and when active in addiction I'd persuade myself that passing out and peeing in bed is actually better than getting into an 'angry drunk mode'... I used to honestly believe that.

Isn't drinking glamorous?

Last edited by IfYouCanDream; 06-11-2015 at 10:06 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-11-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Comes up quite a lot in AA shares re how people were when they were still drinking. More for men than women. Ahh - the glamour of drinking eh!!
Old 06-11-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As bad as peeing in bed (or elsewhere) can be, the sheer horror of not being able just what I'd done and said---and then waiting for the repercussions---was always the worst for me.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can't take the "credit" for this one but an alcoholic friend of mine was real bad with that. I couldn't figure out what was leaking in the basement right near the pool table of our bachelor pad. My friend even put up a plastic sheet on the ceiling and it would puddle there. I honestly never knew what it was, I even called the landlord thinking it was related to the radiator lines leaking water but he couldn't find a leak obviously. When my friend finally left to get help at a rehab me and another friend went to clean out his room. When we pulled up the covers on the bed we discovered a hole burned completely through the bed. You could literally see the floor beneath the bed and the leak mystery was solved. On a good note, he never drank another drop, married a girl he met at rehab and they have two beautiful very successful daughters. So you can emerge from the depths of hell and get to heaven, he is living proof. He was a hero of mine for years when I was still drinking and saw how well he was doing in his life after getting sober. We live far apart now but still connect through facebook and he is still doing great with a great job and family. It possible people, don't give up.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had a guy who I brought home from the bar for a one night stand p!ss my pull out couch while I was in it with him....... talk about awkward when I woke up because I was all wet. I had to throw out the couch, it was one of those IKEA ones that folds out onto the floor. Ugh. Didn't deter me from my reckless behaviour though.......
Old 06-18-2015, 03:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well, last night I had a dream that I was visiting an old college friend that is now married and lives in a different city. In the dream, we were drinking heavily. That dream turned to a nightmare when I "woke up" in the dream and had wet his couch or gues bed or something. I was mortified, embarrassed, ashamed, etc. When I woke up, realized I was complete dry, in my own bed and not hungover, a HUGE wave of relief washed over me and I fell back asleep for a few hours.

I hadn't had any drinking dreams in a few weeks (now just one night of drinking in the last 4 months), but I had a big craving yesterday and maybe that's why I had the dream.

Either way, it just helped remind me how horrible drinking makes me feel the next day and gives me a bit more motivation to keep on staying sober. I know I'll never wet the bed ever again if I stay sober (or maybe make it to a ripe old age).
Old 06-30-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

A couple of years ago I was staying at a friend’s house with my then-girlfriend, the now-famed N. I was a lot drunker than I had intended, as was usual at that time. When I woke up, I realised I had wet my pants. That was, embarrassingly, only the first in a series of such incidents at the time. That’s embarrassing, sure, but that’s not the painful and shameful thing to admit.

That is this:

My jeans were dark and the stain invisible. Rather than go home and wash up, like any normally mortified person would, I went along with everyone to the pub and had drink after drink, sat there in cold trousers. I even went for lunch (with, of course, a pint) in the same clothes. I didn’t care about anything except my next drink. I didn’t care about anything else, not my girlfriend, not my friends, not the actual lunch as I made it try to taste like something. I only wanted to be drunk. That achieved, I got home, took off the clothes and drank some wine, failing to shower.

Another time I wet my pants on a plane because I had drunk too much beer and couldn't wait for the seatbelt sign to go off. I reasoned that if I just peed a little bit, it would stop me going the whole way.

It's happened a LOT of other, embarrassing times too.

So no, your not alone.
And no, drinking is not glamorous.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I can't believe in the 10 years of drinking and blacking out I have never done this.

Also, I had epilepsy years back and every medic and nurse was always amazed that I was the only patient who didn't lose all bowel and bladder control during seizures.

Now, making it to the bathroom in time to get sick was another story...
Old 07-06-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yikes, sorry to hear about your epilepsy.

And interestingly (well, I guess "depressingly" is more apt), I never puked from drinking too much, just wet the bed, couch, arm chair (closet floor once in college). Just thinking about it again is making me cringe.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes, been there a dozen times at least. I'll spare you the details.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Pretty much same experiences here. All insane.
The great thing is it hasn't happened since I got sober.
Except while goIng through chemo, which then I was able to laugh and had a truly legit reason for it happening. Nothing like vomiting, peeing, and crappin all at the same time and unexpectedly.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
zjw

I think for me I can still get a chuckle out of the insane stuff i did. But then it was always like "Oh S$$$" and come up with a story and it was funny. Now sure I can laugh but I realize its not funny really it was sad and pathetic. I mean I barfed all over my wife in bed one night ::facepalm:: My AV is like OMFG you where so drunk HAHAHAH but i'm like good god thats horrible. At the time I simply blamed idigestion which I think did play a roll but had I not been drinking it might not have.

On a side note I know someone with bi-polar who would get in an arguement on there cell phone and rather then hang up on the person they'd throw the phone out the window on mor ehten one occaision freak out about what they had just done and put the car in reverse on the highway mind you to try and go back and retrieve said phone.

Its sad some of the things we people do.