Notices

insomnia

Old 05-26-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

insomnia

can't sleep. had about six hours since sunday. i'm nackered but the moment i lie down the shaking intensifies and the anxiety starts spinning off and i'm in that wide awake twilight where you can't really do anything productive. don't wanna drink though. just get a decent sleep.

supposed to get up at 8am to make a doctor's appointment, cause the only way to see a doctor is to call first thing in the morning and get a random one usually with some temporary doctor you've never before met for some time on the same day, otherwise you have to wait weeks or up to a month for an available appointment. it's half 3am now. bloody tired.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear that. I've had problems with sleep on and off over the years. Are you getting exercise? It's not a cure-all but I've found it helps. I know the cycle can be brutal -- not enough sleep, not enough energy for exercise. I've cut out all caffeine after noon and do a herbal tea in the evening. It does help some.

Perhaps this is something you could discuss with the doctor tomorrow?
Old 05-26-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry you're having a tough time lycanlanz, I really do admire that you are maintaining your sobriety through all of this.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi,

I've had insomnia for years. Now I typically snap awake once a night, but thankfully can fall back asleep. But I've had periods where I don't fall back asleep and each waking day is digging that no sleep weariness all the deeper.

There is a sub-section here on insomnia and maybe you will find some Interventions to test. Good Luck!

Insomnia/Nightmares - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 05-27-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks code, i'll check that out. i've not started exercising again yet venecia but i used to, i've had problems sleeping in the past but i used to be able to fall asleep during the day and i can't do that even. not drinking any caffeine, i bought chamomile at my last shop but that's not doing anything. managed to make an appointment today at 3:40, tried to get some sleep beforehand but it took me an hour to fall asleep then someone in a nearby back yard started using an electronic saw and i've always been really jumpy with noises when i sleep anyway so i've only had another half an hour. i was like, maybe i shouldn't try to sleep during the day cause it'll make it more difficult but at this point i'd rather get some rest when i can cause of how tired i am especially cause i can't get to sleep until 4 or 5 am and then i'm awake a couple of hours later...
Old 05-27-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd certainly chalk some of this up to early sobriety...not that it makes it any easier, but remember you are just 4 days out of detox and taking some meds that your body may not be used to. Were you able to contact the docs from the rehab about the insomnia thing to see if there is anything they can tweak in your regimen?

I
Old 05-27-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've had chronic insomnia for years. What has helped me the most is self hypnosis. You can get something called "pink noise" on you tube and I've heard it's helpful.

I recommend "Deep Sleep with Medical Hypnosis" as it helps me. You do have to use it regularly for best results. Also, the neurologists I've seen say keeping a strict "sleep hygiene" is important. Set a bedtime routine. Wash face, brush teeth, get into bed , maybe read a few pages of something soothing. And turn the light out at the set time. Use the earbuds to listen to the pink noise or start the self hypnosis tapes.

I was told the most important thing is the getting up at the same time daily. No sleeping in!

I hope this helps. If the insomnia persists, see your doctor for a check up. Do avoid sedatives and be honest about the alcohol issues. You ,isn't ask Dr about trying some tryptophan, my doctor told me to take a gram. Some times it helps.

Love from Lenina
Old 05-27-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad you're seeing a dr, hang in there
Old 05-27-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The best thing about sobriety for me was getting a good natural nights rest, and falling asleep quickly, night after night. Took some time for me, but it came.

I had a fear of not sleeping for years, drunk and sober, but it passed.

P
Old 05-27-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your doing good Laz