Notices

Moderation does not work for me

Old 05-26-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happybeingme View Post
Time for you to sign off for the night I think
Unless it could be argued that a psychiatric ward stay would be in my best interest to interrupt the craziness, right?
Old 05-26-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Many of us have incredibly painful pasts just like you.
We decided to live in the present and not use our pasts as an excuse to keep drinking.

Tom nailed it, and you know it.
You want things on your terms but it doesn't seem to be working.
You haven't chosen to listen to the experience from this forum about maintaining sobriety,
or from those on Friends and Family when you were trying to control your husband's drinking.

Of course we want you happy and sober, but we can't quit for you, so it's no help
if you are unwilling to do the needed work to get there.

You have been through a lot and made changes most people would never have the courage to admit or follow through on.

Use that courage to face yourself and surrender to the truth

OMG, this was a lot to read and take in! I cannot do it. I will heed Scott's advice and talk to you all tomorrow. Thank you all for your continued support. I never asked to be in this predicament!
Old 05-26-2015, 05:04 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think bed is a great idea. I also think if you feel you need psychiatric help that's a good thing to follow up on tomorrow.

D
Old 05-26-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

No, I did not undergo any support before my change.
That's very unusual. I have some transgender friends. They all had counselling/ therapy beforehand (and after)...in fact it was mandatory if there were surgical procedures.

It might be something else to bring up with a therapist.

D
Old 05-26-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberintexas007 View Post
If I was to have 1 year of sobriety, you all would be so happy for me. And I want that so bad for everyone. I just love to be intoxicated. My pain is so great. Imagine living in the wrong gender for 27 years of your life? You think that pain can be lifted in a few years? Alcohol is currently my only solution...
I would be happy if you had one day.

I have 8 transgender clients M2F I have been with some for as long as 9 years. I have been fortunate to be part of their lives.

I promise you alcohol will not solve your problems, and the pain can be lifted as soon as YOU allow it to be. I'm not dismissing your "pain"; however, it sounds like you are using it as a reason to get tanked.

I too am surprised you did not get psychological evaluation and counseling before surgery all my clients were required to.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Same here... my transgendered acquaintances over the years were all required to have counseling and it was no small process.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

.../. What would I be like as a sober woman?
i wrote that very question into my journal years ago.

then i changed it to: what will i be like as a sober woman?

a few weeks later i stopped drinking for good.

no use talking about how sad what you're doing is.

stop doing it.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:59 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

interestingly, the weekly meeting i attend is named QT.
tons of transgender folk.
sober transgender folk.
dealing soberly with their pain, their confusions, their families' not-understandings and non-acceptances all around.

it's doable, Soberintexas, no matter what else.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hi there.

You know, what I think one of the most difficult things about alcoholism is? It will take ANY issue and turn it into the "reason" why you're an alcoholic.

But if you look around, we alcoholics come from every walk of life. And plenty of people who share similar circumstances AREN'T alcoholics.

I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to not feel right with your gender. But plenty of transgendered people aren't alcoholics.

I have my own issues, but my siblings--3 of them--who share many similarities are all non-alcoholics. I'm the only one in my immediate family.

You can pick any issue that someone says is the "reason" why they drink and you can find more people who are not only not alcoholics but don't drink at all, or barely.

Sure, there are issues we need to face, but those issues aren't to blame. If anything, it's sometimes our own difficulty in dealing with our issues that keep us heading back to the bottle.

I know that until I made a commitment that I would do whatever it takes--whatever it takes no matter what--to stay sober, I kept ending up drunk.

I had to face down a lot of fears, disappointments, shame, resentments, etc etc etc eventually (not all at once and I'm certainly far from perfect), but being honest and realizing that there was absolutely no good reason to drink, there was nothing that could make me drink, there was no one who could make me drink, and there was never any real excuse or trigger to drink, that realization was HUGE.

The only problem was me and how I dealt with me.

Until I was willing to face that, I kept ending up back in the bottom of a bottle of vodka.

So many people want to support and help you. And we will.

But you have to be the one to look in the mirror.

Give it time. Be honest. Get therapy, go to AA, do whatever it takes and you'll get there.

How will you look as a sober woman? Fabulous. But give it a chance.

Pulling for you and sending you all of my good thoughts.

I know you can do this.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
That's very unusual. I have some transgender friends. They all had counselling/ therapy beforehand (and after)...in fact it was mandatory if there were surgical procedures.

It might be something else to bring up with a therapist.

D
Just another thing to add to my list of things to talk about, LOL! We already go beyond the 1 hour session time!
Old 05-26-2015, 09:01 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by redatlanta View Post
I would be happy if you had one day.

I have 8 transgender clients M2F I have been with some for as long as 9 years. I have been fortunate to be part of their lives.

I promise you alcohol will not solve your problems, and the pain can be lifted as soon as YOU allow it to be. I'm not dismissing your "pain"; however, it sounds like you are using it as a reason to get tanked.

I too am surprised you did not get psychological evaluation and counseling before surgery all my clients were required to.
Some can make the argument that changing genders is a medical problem and not a psychological one. My biggest problem right now is that I prefer being drunk rather than being sober.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:02 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My biggest problem right now is that I prefer being drunk rather than being sober.
Then perhaps you should concentrate your efforts on that problem.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:03 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Same here... my transgendered acquaintances over the years were all required to have counseling and it was no small process.
Well, we can't go back in time now. What is done is done. But I do not have any regrets. I hated being a male. I just regret not doing it sooner. Rather than playing soccer in high school, I would rather have been a cheerleader...and I would have been a good one!!! LOL!
Old 05-26-2015, 09:07 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Feeling a bit better. I think I did not feel too well today because I had a lot to drink on Memorial Day. Even though I did drink today, it was not nearly as much on Monday, and so I should feel better tomorrow.

"Alcohol is the foe."
Old 05-26-2015, 09:16 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

What happens is that when we drink, we begin to enjoy how we feel when inebriated. Soon, we don't like ourselves sober because we would prefer to be drunk. But then the consequences build up when we are drinking, and we soon realize that we have to get sober to function.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:57 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Just wanted to check in. Was just outside on my balcony looking at the stars, and I thought how amazing that is. I just want to be happy.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:08 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I grew up as the perfect child. I always got straight A's and played sports like my parents wanted. I always sought their approval and was very good at getting it. My mother always wanted me to be an attorney because I was good at persuading people. I ended up getting a degree in psychology because I was always wondering what was wrong with me. I always thought I had a bad case of Body Dysmorphic Disorder, when in reality it was Gender Dysphoria I was dealing with. Finally I underwent my gender transition, and I feel better about myself today.

Anyways, life is complicated. Sometimes I am on here sober, sometimes drunk. And then we have my eating disorder. That is another thread I guess. I have helped other people with their problems, but I eventually got tired of it. I think deep down I am an artist, a writer. Maybe one day I will write a book letting the world know how I think and feel, or maybe a movie. I just want to break loose. I am tired of feeling held captive.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:08 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Good call. Moderation didn't work for me either but I did try and make it work time after time.

That right there caused a lot of stress and shame, the trying and failing.

Abstinence is something we can be successful at.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:28 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

You cannot moderate poison.
I found my issues(who cares what they are) much easier to deal with sober.

Best to you.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

007, all those things you mentioned having an interest in, why don't you go ahead and pursue them?