Notices

Withdrawals from food

Old 05-25-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawals from food

Several months ago after a holiday of heavy drinking I got pretty bad withdrawals, so I stopped drinking for about 6 weeks. I started drinking again but I felt bad the next day and stopped again. I decided to just stop completely, at least until I feel much better. Anyway I must have been stopped for about 2 months and was feeling better. I went out for a meal and the next day felt ill again. Main symptoms I tend to get are feeling like I have a pretty bad hangover, feeling rundown, very tense, 'on edge', feeling a bit of depersonalisation. I wasn't sure what had caused it. Had someone served me a drink with alcohol in it? Had there been some mistake? Did the food contain alcohol?

I put everything to one side and was starting to feel much better, then the other day I went out for a meal and again, the next day I felt like I had relapsed! I started feeling severely anxious to the point where I was thinking I would need to phone an ambulance! I am convinced it must be alcohol served in the food. From doing some research it seems it is not necessarily all 'cooked out'. This got me thinking and I remembered a day a couple of weeks ago that I had felt particularly bad. I track all the food I eat and was able to identify that the day prior to that I had eaten a red wine sauce.

So I think what I need to do is make sure I just avoid alcohol completely, though I'm concerned as to what degree I need to do it to? Do I need to avoid certain fruit?

This is really frustrating because I have found it easy to stop drinking as I don't think I am psychologically addicted, I am definitely physically addicted though and just can't get clear of it, due to food.

PS - I should add that I last drank over 3 months ago and that I appreciate this can be a long process, and that ill feeling tends to come in waves and intermittently. I have definitely detected a correlation between eating out and feeling like my withdrawal is reset. At home I cook and do not use alcohol.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hm. Well, what kind of sick? Are you throwing up and have diarrhea? Because that would be food poisoning due to poor handling. I get food poisoning on occasion at a restaurant. I worked in restaurants for many years and let's just say hygiene and poor food handling causes this in lots of people - not just alcoholics.

It should be easy enough to avoid alcohol in foods - a menu would state the ingredients, and you can always ask your server.

You may have some food allergies - again it depends on the symptoms.

I get a food "hangover" if I eat desserts or too much sugar or carbohydrates. This consists of a general irritability and headache and edginess, not nausea or vomiting or intestinal distress. I have to limit my intake of carbs in general. Like today I'm recovering from ice cream. Some times I have to have it, but I pay the consequences the next day.

I guess see a doctor to test for allergies or other sensitivities like grain or dairy sensitivities, both pretty common.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Hm. Well, what kind of sick? Are you throwing up and have diarrhea? Because that would be food poisoning due to poor handling. I get food poisoning on occasion at a restaurant. I worked in restaurants for many years and let's just say hygiene and poor food handling causes this in lots of people - not just alcoholics.

It should be easy enough to avoid alcohol in foods - a menu would state the ingredients, and you can always ask your server.

You may have some food allergies - again it depends on the symptoms.

I get a food "hangover" if I eat desserts or too much sugar or carbohydrates. This consists of a general irritability and headache and edginess, not nausea or vomiting or intestinal distress. I have to limit my intake of carbs in general. Like today I'm recovering from ice cream. Some times I have to have it, but I pay the consequences the next day.

I guess see a doctor to test for allergies or other sensitivities like grain or dairy sensitivities, both pretty common.
No not food poisoning. It's definitely the very anxious, rundown, hungover type feeling I get from withdrawal. This last meal I had left me just about climbing the walls with anxiety the next day.

If I have a lot of carbs at home I am ok the next day. You are right I should be able to avoid anything with obvious alcohol content in it. For the mean time I will just stop eating out because this is a real problem and it is dragging on far too long.

My concern though is foods with tiny traces of alcohol. What about sugar alcohol in fruit? Am I safe to drink pomegranate juice?

I would like to spend a month or 2 being extremely healthy, avoid all alcohol and getting this problem fixed. If I have to avoid alcohol for the rest of my life so be it, though presumably once I am through this I won't get such adverse reactions to alcohol contained in food.

I guess if I keep hitting obstacles I will need to seek medical help but I am wanting to avoid having a further record of substance abuse in my records. I also do not want to go anywhere near benzos. Not necessarily because I would be unable to control my usage, but because I think they would just make my gaba dependency issues worse long term.

As I said previously, this really is frustrating because the hard part (giving up drinking) has been easy for me. Yet still I cannot get through this.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I guess you just have to experiment.

I've never heard of this type of reaction to fruit. There is alcohol in fruit, but it's not enough to trigger your symptoms. If you are reacting to fruit - I got nothing.

Really, two instances in three months isn't enough to come to any conclusions.

The alcohol does cook off if it is in a sauce. But if you are that concerned, don't order any marinated foods or any sauces.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I guess if I keep hitting obstacles I will need to seek medical help but I am wanting to avoid having a further record of substance abuse in my records. I also do not want to go anywhere near benzos. Not necessarily because I would be unable to control my usage, but because I think they would just make my gaba dependency issues worse long term.
Okay, with this part you added - so are you worried that food is causing you so much anxiety that you might need medication?

Could it just be something else? I mean anxiety is really common in early sobriety and this may have nothing to do with food. Maybe it is the general anxiety of being in a restaurant? Or the person you go with?

I really don't think you are getting enough alcohol in food to cause you anxiety - but I'm often wrong
Old 05-25-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Okay, with this part you added - so are you worried that food is causing you so much anxiety that you might need medication?

Could it just be something else? I mean anxiety is really common in early sobriety and this may have nothing to do with food. Maybe it is the general anxiety of being in a restaurant? Or the person you go with?

I really don't think you are getting enough alcohol in food to cause you anxiety - but I'm often wrong
I think the alcohol in food is resetting my withdrawals. My anxiety comes from withdrawal. Generally I am a laid back person.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

excessive sodium I suppose can get me to a place that doesnt feel very good similier to too much booze and its pretty easy to do too.

My opinion would be to strip your diet down to a very very basic simple diet then slowly add in foods 1 by 1 so you can see what foods do to you and what causes you to feel this way or that way. I've done this over the years myself and have basicly settled in on a High carbohydrate low fat vegan diet and i run at optimum performance this way. I run 75-80 miles a week and i've tried other ways of eating but nothing can get me the performance i got now with rapid recovery etc..

I know for example if i eat say salami or something now? forget it i'll get horrible headaches and feel terrible. Heck i had a vegan pizza a couple weeks ago that had considerable salt in the crust and i was down for the count for days after that.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would say it's not due to alcohol in the food. My son is on Antabuse and has not had any reaction to trace amount, which he should be extremely sensitive to.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by INgal View Post
I would say it's not due to alcohol in the food. My son is on Antabuse and has not had any reaction to trace amount, which he should be extremely sensitive to.
That is designed to stop people from recreationally taking the substance though, not to punish people who unknowingly take trace amounts.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
excessive sodium I suppose can get me to a place that doesnt feel very good similier to too much booze and its pretty easy to do too.

My opinion would be to strip your diet down to a very very basic simple diet then slowly add in foods 1 by 1 so you can see what foods do to you and what causes you to feel this way or that way. I've done this over the years myself and have basicly settled in on a High carbohydrate low fat vegan diet and i run at optimum performance this way. I run 75-80 miles a week and i've tried other ways of eating but nothing can get me the performance i got now with rapid recovery etc..

I know for example if i eat say salami or something now? forget it i'll get horrible headaches and feel terrible. Heck i had a vegan pizza a couple weeks ago that had considerable salt in the crust and i was down for the count for days after that.
Thanks, yes I will try that. I am a keen runner as well but don't do your level of mileage. What is your general weekly routine?
Old 05-25-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
zjw

lately i've been doing 2 off days. I'll run 10-15 miles in hte late morning then later int he day i'll run 3 or 4 more. I'll do that back to back then have a rest day where i walk or use a rowing machine etc..

I eat a lot for example its almost 8pm here and I've eaten about 5000 calories so far today nothing but high carb low fat fruits veggies etc.. I'll probably shovel more food in before bed etc..

I can give you more info if you want PM me. I'm reading a book now by rich roll "finding ultra" he's an vegan endurance athlete who also was an alcoholic as well its amazing how we can turn our lives around.

Prior to quiting drinking i smoked over 2 packs a day and weighted about 275lbs on this 5 foot 7 frame. Now i'm about 160lbs was down to 140 but I put on some weight probably a good thing.

Going through this process tho has really helped me identify what foods work best for me etc..
Old 05-25-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Some of us are highly sensitive to alcohol in many forms from perfume to mouthwash, cleaning products and foods

When I took antabuse and ate a bite of wine cheese, I had a horrible reaction (first antabuse tablet, too!)

Be careful if this is what is happening with you
Old 05-25-2015, 07:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've not knowingly eaten anything cooked in alcohol for about 7 years now.

If you're convinced that the food is the problem, it pays to ask questions about how the meal is cooked, I think.

If the problem persists then the likelihood is its not the food
D
Old 05-29-2015, 02:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've felt pretty awful this week. I've been eating quite a lot of fruit, I normally don't eat any. I don't know if that has affected things. I think I might try now eating no fruit. I'm left though scared to eat anything.

A couple of days ago I ate lunch and started feeling pretty horrible. I ate an apple and that made me feel quite a bit better. Yesterday I felt much better.
Today I felt ok in the morning. I had a sandwich and bottle of coke. Soon after that I started feeling pretty awful. I had to leave work a bit early for the second time this week. Then later on I had a pizza and another bottle of coke. Again this made me feel worse, I had to go lie down and have a sleep, which helped. (In fact I currently feel almost back to normal, earlier tonight I felt I was close to losing my mind). From doing some research there is trace amounts of alcohol in coke. So is that flaring up withdrawals? Or could I be reacting to the large amounts of caffeine and sugar? When I went to eat out I drank a lot of coke, so that could be the common denominator.

Is there a way to test if you are having alcohol withdrawals? I haven't drank in almost 4 months, I'm getting no shakes or anything. Just this bouts of tremendous tension and ill feeling. I guess I need to see a doctor here. My concern though is I feel this is such a drawn out, complicated issue and I'm not sure how it can quickly be assessed in a 5 minute slot. Also, if I say I think I am having withdrawals will that act against me in my medical history? IE stop me getting prescribed certain medication if I ever need it? A few years ago I went to the GP about issues with a drug, so that is on my record and I'd rather not have anything more like that, bearing in mind I am completely clean now. Although perhaps this is a stupid way to think, if I am ill I should seek medical help and get the problem fixed. All I'm doing is reading endless articles and getting myself more anxious.

It could be an allergy to food or hyperglycemia or something, though I definitely experienced withdrawals when I stopped drinking a few months ago and the feeling is similar to how I felt then. I also do not want to go anywhere near benzodiazepines or any gaba enacting medication like that. It will not fix anything.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Of course the other possibility is this might have nothing to do with food and I am just going through the intermittent phases of withdrawal, and looking for an association that doesn't exist. After 3.5 months am as well just grinning and bearing it? Is it possible I am still getting bad withdrawals? Can they get worse? If they get worse I will need to get help.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
zjw

I felt screwed up for a long time after i quit. once i changed my diet and started exercising things started to turn around.

Even now tho at almost 4 years sober i have stupid issues from time to time. but i normally can figure out what the deal is. IE i lack some nutrient or I have not been eating balanced enough etc.. it taken time to figure all thisout.

I doubt fruits going to cause you any trouble. BUT as you eat more good stuff your body will more then likly start to detox etc. the whole detoxification process can go on for a while. you might expierence some ailment that seems so foriegn but all it is another detox issue.

I think you might have PAWS. I had issues where my blood sugar was out of wack. part of this was alcohol i bet then i went to a low carb diet that also made things goofed up.

I think for me i'd feel all strange and I realized i needed some sugar i never was so sensitive to stuff like that before till i quit drinking.

I dont think matters will get worse it'll get better i bet but try to stay in tune to what your eating. I went through a phase where i'd google everyting i ate to see what kinda nutrients where in it and what kinda health benefits it had i wanted ot know what and why about all of it so i could figure out what was going on.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The yeast in your gut converts sugar to alcohol. This is why we crave sugar after we stop drinking. The amount of alcohol produced varies from person to person., but for most people it is a non-issue. You may want to see your doctor about the possibility that you have too much yeast in your gut. Otherwise, I would think cutting down on your sugar and carbohydrate intake would help. I know too much of either makes me fell yucky.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Felt dodgy all day. Dragged myself out for a 5 mile run and feel MUCH better now. Decided to make a smoothie out of some milk, a banana and a packet of strawberries, hopefully that doesn't make me worse. I think first thing tomorrow I'll go out for another run. My condition really seems to be getting worse.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
zjw

make a smoothie out of 10 bananas or so and some strawberries skip the milk then go for a run once its digested down etc.. keep doing that you'll have tons of energy and good digestion etc..

i eat anywhere between 40-80lbs of bananas a week to give you an idea.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I last drank over 4 months ago and I seem to be getting worse, if anything! I'm going through spells of starting to feel better, then I get hit with a wave of feeling awful - crippling tension where I feel absolutely horrible, particularly getting very tight feelings around my neck and chest. Also generally feeling run down and just very uncomfortable. Eating a big meal and also running helps but it's becoming quite difficult to manage because each wave of ill feeling is lasting forever and seems to get more aggressive. I guess I really need to go to a doctor, I do not want to take any gaba enacting medication though.

What's strange is I am worse now than when I stopped, it seems to be the last month or two that's been really bad. I wasn't even a daily drinker or anything, I generally just drank at weekends.

I've also been getting visual 'wiggles' recently, I can feel some pressure on my eye and my vision gets disturbed. Like I will read something and I lose focus. It's perhaps rapid eye movement, which is a withdrawal symptom.

PS - I think sugar is playing some part, it often seems to be after something sugary that I can get quite ill. Maybe I have blood sugar issues, I dont know.