Notices

Neuropathy/Nerves

Old 05-23-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Neuropathy/Nerves

Anyone have problems with this?

Well to be honest, I'm not sure it's Neuropathy but it's a likely candidate, along with nerve damage from too much running and not enough training in my younger days...

I got real bad pins and needles mostly in my legs in my drinking days, but since I stopped and as I get older it has progressed to complete loss of feeling/strength in my legs at certain times. Mostly right leg, sometimes left...I've been lying down reading, got up for the loo and just dropped like a stone...absolutely no juice at all in my right leg and had to grab on to something.

Has happened a few times in the last few weeks and it's happened before, nearly fell down the stairs once as a result. Had plenty of tests with a neurologist and my usual doctor but no definite root cause. Just frustrating...been sober 6 years and just about to turn 37, I thought meebeez I got away with the worst of the damage but it's catching up

Other than that am in a good place...head, heart and soul are healthy just for today

Have a great weekend folks

P
Old 05-23-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know someone who was convinced he had neuropathy from drinking until he found out it was a pinched nerve, or something like that, along his spine.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GroundhogDay View Post
I know someone who was convinced he had neuropathy from drinking until he found out it was a pinched nerve, or something like that, along his spine.
Could be that.. I had a full spinal MRI and checkover couple of years back, a little inflammation in some of the discs but nothing unusual they said...ah well things could be a lot worse
Old 05-23-2015, 11:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

It really does sound like a pinched nerve coming out of your lower spin. I'm not a doc but its what I have had for the last 30 years so I've watched the progress. I'm also diabetic so always think about neuropathy.... thought I had it when my shins started to numb but its from the spin/nerve problem. I also get the alternating weak legs. There are all kinds of symptoms from the same thing from pain to numbness to weakness and it moves around. It depends on how hard the nerve is being compressed and on what part.... from a slightly bulging disk or more or calcification hitting the nerve. The best type of doctor to see is a physiatrist who will do an electromyograph (EMG). Its a simple test done in their office with a wand that follows nerve paths. When it goes off it's found a pinched/bruised/dead one. I had been through all kinds of xrays/mri's by other doctors but it was one of those doing an EMG who found the problem. Good luck Paulokes.

Edit: If you have trouble finding one, look for Spine and Sports Injury doctors which many of them handle (mine does) but they also handle any condition affecting skeleton and muscles without being injured... like arthritis.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I get it in my hands. However, my doc says it's from years of programming. Not sure I'll ever know the root cause. But yeah, see doc, run tests.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'd see a doctor about this. I have diminished circulation to my toes/feet. My doctor referred me for ultrasound testing on my legs to check my circulation. It could be any number of things but I'd rather know than not know and be able to do something about it.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Have you had your iron levels checked?
I suffer from severe anaemia and I can always tell when my iron levels are low as I get pins and needles in my hands and feet and painful cramp too.
Might be worth having a blood test?
I also agree with the pinched nerve posts too.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
I'd see a doctor about this. I have diminished circulation to my toes/feet. My doctor referred me for ultrasound testing on my legs to check my circulation. It could be any number of things but I'd rather know than not know and be able to do something about it.
Gut feel is poor circulation is a good candidate. I used to be a big fan of meditating crossed legged on the floor...have had to bin this now as my legs go to sleep for 10 minutes! The chair beckons now and enlightenment will have to wait till next time around

Hands and arms often tingle and I havea pressure spot on one of my feet that flares up from time to time. People often remark my hands are very cold and I've started a swimming/sauna routine recently and my skin gets noticeably flushed with temperature extremes.

Booked with the doctor again on Saturday. The did a whole raft of blood tests two years ago and found nothing, and a lumbar MRI last year same outcome. I have an unrelated condition called Neurofibromatosis that might play a part.

Oh, and I smoke...that probably doesn't help

Thanks for replies all, just being open and venting I suppose. Things have taken a noticeable dive since I stopped drinking which is frustrating, but that's ok.

P
Old 05-26-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

i'm sure i got nerve damage of sorts myself. I dont have a lot of feeling in my feet and fingers Like on the surface muscular or tendon pain i will feel. I also get cold in my hands and feet a lot. and the fun one is the electrical shock sensation that will fun down my spine neck and arms. Its not as bad as it was when i first sobered up but it still happens and its still concerning.

I also had body temp issues shortness of breath and some other weird stuff going on i started eating more foods with iron and taking an iron supplement and wala problems solved.

But i do still have some of the nerve related issues depsite the iron thing.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My brother has it in his legs and his condition is severe causing him much pain and loss of sleep. He has seen 5 to 10 doctors and his relief has been minimal.

My arms started burning and hurting a couple of years back. Doctor gave me some type of steroid cream. It didn't seem to help. The good news -- the pains got better with time although still far from perfect. Now a few months back my index fingers on both hands are burning.

M-Bob
Old 02-20-2017, 06:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

yep- I got it from my burns. Manage it with an anti-d (for depression, diagnosed) that also helps with n/p pain. Also a pain clinic. I do not take any pain relief. Weird sensations. Some like yours.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My alkie hub has neuropathy along with heart, lung, kidney failure. Our doctor and consultants said is all due to hubs 50 or so years as heavy drinker.

Very debilitating.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just wondering how you're doing with this Paul, a few years on?

D