Notices

cursed

Old 05-06-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

cursed

When I was a baby, my dad used to beat my mum really bad. He once hit her in the face and head with a hammer. He was and still is an alcoholic.

When I turned 20, I lashed out at him and beat him up badly. A couple of weeks later I got this letter delivered to my parents by someone addressed to me.

He said "Sign of the devil, respect your parents" and loads of other stuff I can't remember. Ever since then things went wrong and my life was destroyed.

Did he put a curse on a me?
Old 05-06-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your burden, Bh28.

The efficacy of curses is outside my realm of knowledge.

I guess when bad things happen we look for reasons. Sometimes there are simple, logical reasons that these things happen and other times it just seems like chance. It can be tough, and as long as we're above ground it doesn't seem like things are likely to ever stop happening to us.

Louie CK had a great line, I'll have to paraphrase it: "Life isn't something you have, it's something you participate in."
So maybe life doesn't throw things at us, necessarily. It's just throwing things all over the place willy-nilly, and if you want to get involved in this business of life you're going to have things flying at you.

But, again, I really don't know anything about curses.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

you father probably sent it. from what you describe he sounds just sick enough to do so.

I wouldnt worry about it.

As far as beating him badly I dont know the circumstances of your situation but growing up my brother did the same to my stepfather. IN my house it was much needed and he deserved every bit of it. and a couple more times my brother did it as well. Someone had to stand up to this monster for my mother and I. In hind site I really REALLY shoulda called the police on this monster numerous times! but iw as terrified he'd beat me even worse if i did.

Later in life I told some stories to a friend and he said good god I woulda slept with a knife under my pillow just waiting. I thought ya know now i'm mad i didnt even think to do so!

The reality is no one should ever have to grow up with stuff like that it is not normal and its best to move away from it and learn what normal is and practice it daily.

I am thankful for my brother for standing up for us however.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Bh28 View Post
No, he wrote you a hateful and ignorant letter....but in reality it was just hateful words written on a piece of paper.

You have the ability to determine your destiny, both today and down the line. You may need some help along the way - maybe even therapy/counseling to help get over some of your past....but in no way does a hateful letter control your life moving forward.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Scott - no curse

I used to think I was cursed too - now I can trace every problem I ever had back then to drugs or alcohol.

D
Old 05-06-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A lot of thoughts can sound scary in our heads my friend, good to get them out and talk them over. I also think we can MAKE these things real ourselves if we give them too much energy...the mind is a very very powerful thing.

I won't go in to too much detail here but there was something from my own past that I regretted, that plagued me for years...the idea it was a burden on my soul...still would be if I let it.

I also remember something of a curse when I was 16 or so...a homeless guy I had a disagreement with. Looked me straight in the eye and said 'This will be you one day'. The worse my life got, I kept remembering that and it would send a shiver down my spine. I have heard a few alcoholics describe similar events or 'words of foreboding' that plagued them through the years.

If this really bothers you, maybe seek some respectable spiritual guidance. But I really would try to let it go if I were you. Heart goes out to you, sounds like a really rough upbringing, must have been hard for you.

P
Old 05-06-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It sounds to me like the curse is alcoholism and nothing else.

Between cause and effect there is a gap where you can make a choice what to believe. I hope you can see alternatives to your current thinking.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your not cursed bud just a hate filled letter
Old 05-06-2015, 04:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree, I think your dad probably wrote it and so having an abusive upbringing bad things did happen but not because of a curse. My mom used to play head games too and believe me they do a number on you, sorry you had to go through that. It's not a curse. As an adult you are probably made to believe bad things happen because of the way you were brought up, it's hard to see any good.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rivelino View Post
It sounds to me like the curse is alcoholism and nothing else.

Between cause and effect there is a gap where you can make a choice what to believe. I hope you can see alternatives to your current thinking.
Looks as though you haven't read my previous posts. The curse is hormone dysfunction, a testosterone problem which has plagued me for 10 years.

Not alcohol.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thus my sig: "Do miracles happen?"

Last edited by Bh28; 05-07-2015 at 06:09 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-07-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thus my avatar: "Do miracles happen?"
Depends on how you define miracles. Can people overcome seemingly insurmountable odds? Absoultely. Can you? you bet. It doesn't just "happen" though....it's hard work and you need to be an active participant.

There are plenty of folks here who have overcome abuse, horrific injuries, physical and mental disabilities, loss of loved ones, loss of families, jobs, you name it. The common theme between all of them was that they worked their butts off using every resource they could find to get there and didn't use their problems as excuses to wallow in self pity or simply do nothing.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Depends on how you define miracles. Can people overcome seemingly insurmountable odds? Absoultely. Can you? you bet. It doesn't just "happen" though....it's hard work and you need to be an active participant.

There are plenty of folks here who have overcome abuse, horrific injuries, physical and mental disabilities, loss of loved ones, loss of families, jobs, you name it. The common theme between all of them was that they worked their butts off using every resource they could find to get there and didn't use their problems as excuses to wallow in self pity or simply do nothing.
I know mate and that's why I'm staying sober and trying to sort this out once and for all. This is my year, now is the time.

No more bs excuses. It has to be done.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I know mate and that's why I'm staying sober and trying to sort this out once and for all. This is my year, now is the time.
And we've got your back...don't forget that!
Old 05-07-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

No, he had not the power to do that.

Kids in this position at times try to protect their mothers.

Learn to deal with the resentments caused by all of this.

Since you mention the possibility of a curse,
a spiritual advisor may be in order?

Mountainmanbob
Old 05-07-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Bh, You've been through alot, in fact, so much that sobriety or at least being drug and alcohol free for extended periods of time should be a bit less difficult than what you have described on this website. I may be 100% wrong, and if I am, I do apologize. Regarding curses, personally I do not believe in them. Does not mean that they don't exist. our brains are very powerful....and very weak.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Bh, You've been through alot, in fact, so much that sobriety or at least being drug and alcohol free for extended periods of time should be a bit less difficult than what you have described on this website. I may be 100% wrong, and if I am, I do apologize. Regarding curses, personally I do not believe in them. Does not mean that they don't exist. our brains are very powerful....and very weak.
You're not wrong bro. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

BH stands for Blue Haze. I used to smoke weed.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi BH28, I had an acquaintance who had a disorder in which he produced no testosterone. He is very successful and talented. He got shots to help him out. He is living well.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Hi BH28, I had an acquaintance who had a disorder in which he produced no testosterone. He is very successful and talented. He got shots to help him out. He is living well.
Thanks, but I can't stop thinking negative thoughts. They are destroying me but I'm seeing a counsellor.