Notices

60 days sober can't sleep ... Anybody else?

Old 03-27-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

60 days sober can't sleep ... Anybody else?

Hi
I'm now 60 days sober , if you have time to read my other posts you will know what hell it's been for me and my family .

I'm writing this post today as to try and get some reasurance from others that have experienced or experiencing the same .

Basically the insomia has kicked in big time .
Over the last three weeks I've been completing a sleep diary and I'm only getting 2 nights of prober 8 hours sleep a week .
I can go for 3 nights in a row with no sleep whatsoever .
It feels like sombody is squeezing my brain or that I habe consumed 10 energy drinks .
It is like a switch that is either on meaning no sleep and eyes wide open or off back to normal sleep and nap fine .
It's terrible ,,, ive tried all the stuff recommended like hot baths , herbal tea , fan near the bed but nothing .

I now havent slept at all last night , in fact it's Friday and the last time I slept properly was Sunday night . I've also worked out on the nights I do get 8 hours I wake up really anxious , foggy headed and depressed . Strange ?

Have I really damaged my brain that much with binge drinking ?

I have zopicone sleeping tablets the Dr said try but they gave me massive depression to the extent I was crying and they make me a nervous wreck so I don't wanna take those .

I now have to drive 150 miles to work , I'm not scared of falling asleep at the wheel because I can't sleep but what I am worried about is passing out from the head ache and dizzyness I have
Also I can't do my job proberly as my mind is so tired . What is even worse in my case is that I was born with a curvature to the bottom of my spine and I need sleep to stop the pain from that

Please is this insomnia normal in 60 days recovery , can anybody help me ,has anybody else had the same and will it go away ???

Thanks
Really tired and wired malamute
Old 03-27-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Also I don't drink any caffine at all
Old 03-27-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 60 days Mal i think its best to speak to a Dr and look at things like sleep hygiene to help forge a good sleep routine
Old 03-27-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks I will go back to Drs but they have been no help so far .
Just wanted to know If this insomnia thing is normal in recovery ESP at 60 days sober
Old 03-27-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

have you tried staying awake?
some folks are still adjusting for the first few months. Is it possible your anxiety over not sleeping is causing you to lose sleep?
Old 03-27-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I could try that yes , I have done loads more exercise and tidied the house up loads , still no help
Old 03-27-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found some help here:

Relaxation Techniques | University of Maryland Medical Center

D
Old 03-27-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How many days can you go with out sleeping before somthing bad happens?
Old 03-27-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would call your doctor tomorrow and ask the very same question. Don't mean to come across as curt, but it is something only a medical professional can address.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yikes definitely call the Dr and if you don't get help call a different one. Your case sounds pretty extreme. Also do not exercise before bed. I have to exercise in the morning because if I do it anytime later than like 5 I can't sleep. Good luck I know how frustrating insomnia is.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well I made my 150 mile journey to work and back , in bed now trying to sleep , I may give in to Zopiclone but I really don't want to take meds
Old 03-27-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you end up having to take something Trazadone worked great for me. I only took it sit a month to retrain my body to sleep
Old 03-27-2015, 09:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'll second what Della said. If you're afraid of Zolpidem based drugs, Trazadone worked for me. That is what my Dr. prescribed when I said no way I'm touching Ambien.

Why the aversion to medication? Not sleeping for 3 days straight is worse for you. Eventually you will crash out and I guarantee you it won't be at a convenient time. I think around day 3 is when I started seeing shadows and weird things along my peripheral vision. Day 4 I definitely was hearing things. I knew someone that said he did 5 or 6 days and objects started talking to him. Going days without sleep and then driving hundreds of miles is probably worse than drunk driving.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm going through recovery and post acute withdrawal syndrome PAWS that's why I don't want to take mind altering drugs , my brain is repairing and the drugs may conflict ..
Am I write ???? Or wrong ???
Old 03-28-2015, 12:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How would zolpidem affect alcohol based PAWS negatively?

Taking a benzo I could see. But by your logic even melatonin is off limits for you.

Your Dr prescribed a non benzo sleep aid for a reason. Follow their suggestion.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for your help and maybe I will have to give in to Zopiclone , yes having 3 nights in a row is terrible and that will help .
I'm very new to all this that's why my logic is a bit messed up , Ive read about paws and most sites say to get through it you need total absance from all drugs ...

When I took Zopiclone last time the physical anxiety and depression it caused the following days were terrible ..
That's another reason I'm trying to stay away ,,, the Dr didn't know I was a recovering alcoholic when he prescribed the pills to me .
Maybe I shall ask for trazalon
Old 03-28-2015, 01:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's important to be honest with your Dr. They can't fully help us if they only know half the story, y'know?

Anything folks have detailed here that worked for them needs to be run by your doctor anyway - what may worked for someone else may not be suitable for you.

D
Old 03-28-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm not up on all the drugs/sleep aids and such. But if you need something to help you sleep, I would not consider it a mind altering thing. More of a medical necessity.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks guys you have been a great help , I managed after 6 hours of tossing and turning to sleep for 4 hours with only a night nurse tablet ,,, feel better today , just hope the cycle of insomia don't come back .

I'd still like to know if it's a usual thing to suffer insomnia at 6o days sober , I'm still having other paws symptoms as well , eg foggy head , spaced out , anxiety and mild physical depression .. I do think it's calmed down a little tho ,, only a little .
Old 03-28-2015, 12:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It is not unusual to have a hard time sleeping for a while in early sobriety. You may have been marinating your brain in whiskey for decades, don't expect to be "all better" by Easter. The body takes time to heal.

That said, I'd encourage you to try some heavy exercise or running. Or how about just having a glass of warm milk?

I've also heard people claim that asking God for help sleeping helped. Bear in mind you might ask him for a good night's sleep and his answer may be "not tonight!", but it's little risk for you to give it a whirl.

Good luck, hang in there. You're not the first to have this nor will you be the last, it's do-able and you don't have to drink no matter what.