Notices

Addictions kill people

Old 03-05-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addictions kill people

I just got out of the hospital for depression. There were many of us who had addiction problems. To anyone who brings meetings into hospitals: YOU ARE A SAINT. For people looking for service work: DO THIS. Even fundraising for a Grapevine subscription for the local hospital mental ward is great. Peod NEED AA and NA when they are in there.

I don't want to tell anyone's life stories here out of respect for their privacy. Bit I did meet some interesting people. One man- you'd see him walking down the street and think, typical American guy, probably married with a few kids. But he is an addict. He actually caused damage to his body on his last bender- it may turn out to be permanent and irreversible. That can happen to any of us.

Also, while I was in there, my Kim's friend's son- who has been on and off heroin for many years- was shot in the head and he died. We are assuming it was a drug deal gone wrong. His mother is, of course, heartbroken.

I had my own lab results to show my own addiction is harming my body. Pretty scary stuff. It's reversible, should I change my ways. But when you're in that physically compromised state, you could have a heart attack. And I wasn't even at my worst when I went into the hospital. What the heck was it when I was?!

There was one woman I got pretty close to. Still using drugs, but she and I talked so much about about being clean and going to meetings, etc. but the last day- we were discharged together- she was making plans to score with the new girl who came in, apparently her boyfriend is a drug dealer? Sometimes I wonder what it is about me that I'm actually able to stop. And other people aren't. This woman will surely die. She has been through it all and there's not much left for her unless she stops using.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry for the loss Alaina

It is great ppl who bring mtns into hospital

Your title said it perfectly Addictions kill ppl everyday sad but very true
Old 03-05-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Alaina, your stories illustrate that it takes a great amount of determination to lose an addiction, and some people lose their lives in the process. Even so, your story of the lady planning to score as soon as she leaves was chilling.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

good to see you here again, alaina.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Keep up the good fight alaina.

Sometimes I wonder what it is about me that I'm actually able to stop.
Just remember, when you feel like hell and going through DTs it's easy to stop. It's when you feel good and fool yourself into thinking you won't let that happen again is when you really have to keep your guard up. I know it's that way for myself and many others like me anyway.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

The great thing for people who bring meetings to hospitals is that they stay sober. Another one of AA s best kept secrets.