Notices

Entering danger zone

Old 02-26-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Entering danger zone

As mentioned yesterday, I will post something mundane each day to keep focused.

Something I've learned recently from this site is how many folks have gotten in serious trouble with beer and wine. Being from a family of heavy drinkers I had this impression that it was the straight drinking whiskey and vodka types that were alcoholics. I'm amazed at how many posts people refer to wine as their demon. I never drank wine so I don't know, but it obviously can grab hold of people with both hands and choke the life right out of you. Good to know.

Today I will run a couple errands that need to get done, get some bills paid and pound out another shirt drenching workout on the treadmill. Lastly, need to get my meals in and on time. Most importantly, my wife will be very happy when she gets home. Happy wife happy life.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yep, alchohol is alcohol and what form it comes in ( beer, wine, booze ) is irrelevant. I was exclusively a beer drinker. I cannot, and could not, stand even the smell of hard liquour of any kind or wine either. That didn't stop me from becoming a raging alcoholic though, I just drank a LOT of beer.

Sounds like you have a good plan today....and having a daily routine sounds like a great idea too.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Beer, wine, vodka...they all contain alcohol. They will all send you to alcohell.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Happy wife happy life.
Truest thing ever =P
Old 02-26-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

My poison was beer. Enjoy your workout.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Beer, wine, vodka...they all contain alcohol. They will all send you to alcohell.
Hadn't heard that one. Completely true.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Beer and lots of it was my DOC but I also liked really good Scotch or Tequila in moderation and there is nothing wrong with wine and food for lots of folks. When I first quit, I would hallucinate that bottles of wine were speaking to me! Now of course I'll have none of it!
Old 02-26-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I eventually had a strict no hard liquor policy after I became "that guy" at the company Halloween party. I fell on my face outside in front of everyone, they put me on a couch down in the basement. I woke up and was caught pants down by my boss's wife attempting to urinate on the wall. I thought I was in the bathroom.

But as others said, it doesn't matter how you got the alcohol. I switched to beer only, except I just drank a lot of strong 6 and 7% beer. I'm actually a bit nauseous thinking about it. Blech.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
orangutan

I think I was an alcoholic all along but it was the wine that turned me into an every day drinker.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I drank everything but I stuck to vodka because it was cheap and got me drunk fast. Beer and wine was too expensive and not strong enough. Beer started tasting like water after drinking large amounts of vodka every day.

I doesn't matter what kind you drink. All alcohol is bad.

In the last year, I did the old alcoholic trick of switching to beer. I thought it wouldn't give me hangovers. Well, wouldn't you know, the beer ended up giving me worse hangovers than the vodka. It also makes me sick to think about it.

(That taste of stale booze from the night before still in your mouth when you wake up....)
Old 02-26-2015, 09:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
I eventually had a strict no hard liquor policy after I became "that guy" at the company Halloween party. I fell on my face outside in front of everyone, they put me on a couch down in the basement. I woke up and was caught pants down by my boss's wife attempting to urinate on the wall. I thought I was in the bathroom.

But as others said, it doesn't matter how you got the alcohol. I switched to beer only, except I just drank a lot of strong 6 and 7% beer. I'm actually a bit nauseous thinking about it. Blech.
Ouch!
Old 02-26-2015, 09:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Yes, ouch indeed. I guess I'm fortunate most of my disgraces were in private. I kept a pretty strict rule about keeping my work and drinking lives separate. I seem to remember pulling that "I thought I was in the bathroom" trick at least once in a friend's apartment.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

good plan for the day Thomas - Glad you are here
Old 02-26-2015, 10:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
Yes, ouch indeed. I guess I'm fortunate most of my disgraces were in private. I kept a pretty strict rule about keeping my work and drinking lives separate. I seem to remember pulling that "I thought I was in the bathroom" trick at least once in a friend's apartment.
Well, fortunately most of that drama was deflected by a female coworker that was tweaking HARD on some kind of amphetamines that was starting arguments with everyone, bouncing around the party like a pinball.

And yeah, it wasn't a trick. I was blacked out and had no idea where I was. It wasn't the first time I had something like that happen. At least I didn't just go in my pants on the couch. So dumb.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Yeah, I never peed myself for some reason. I guess even if my brain couldn't tell if I was in a bathroom or not it still remembered potty training from two years old - at least try to go to the bathroom outside of my pants. Woo-hoo!
Old 02-27-2015, 04:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wine was my drink of choice. .. I could drink very large quantities of wine. I agree, alcohol is alcohol -whatever its form.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post

I'm amazed at how many posts people refer to wine as their demon.
I never think of myself to be better than anyone
for, if I started to drink again this could easily be me in very short time.
Bob

wino

someone who props up walls in the street, drinking an unidentifiable drink (it neednt be wine, could also be spirits, special brew, buckfast or lighter fluid) out of a paper bag whilst swearing incoherently and dribbling.

sandy the wino sat swigging his special brew on the park bench
Old 02-27-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wine and hard liquor will just get you nuts faster. I guess we all have our worst moments. I just know that in all of my life, my worst moments always seemed to have something to do with alcohol. The moments I would like to take back. The ones I will regret until the day I die. The ones where I would say, "That was me? I did that?"

I will hear the news and here will be someone who did some kind of outlandish thing, maybe some celebrity where the whole world is watching and it will stain that person forever, where, if it hadn't been for the alcohol, it just never would have happened. And people will say, "Hey, I know that guy. He didn't seem to be the type to do such a thing." Well, right. He wasn't that kind of guy, but allow me to introduce you to that very same guy . . . with a gut full.

One of the things that pushed me hard to quit was how I just got so sick and tired of having to own up to that guy I was the night before. Hell, I don't even know that guy. I suppose he lives deep within me and somehow alcohol is the key to the door of his dungeon and then he comes out to play. . . . and then God help us all.

I just hope I can keep him under lock and key the rest of the way -- one day at a time.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was mainly a beer drinker. Drank wine as well. In the end, I was mixing the cheap light beer I drank with wine to give it a boost. I didn't want to spend all that money on west coast craft beer that had high alcohol content, but tasted like skunk.
Luckily, liquor was a rare indulgence. Planes, visits home. Regardless of what kind of drinks I indulged in, I'm certainly testimony that beer will make you just as much of an alcoholic as whiskey or vodka.
Seas of beer. Makes me sad thinking about how much life I've wasted not being able to live as fully as I can sober. You think you're living more when you drink- everything's heightened. But the reverse is true. And beer will do it, wine will do it, margaritas from Mexico or retsina from Greece- it all puts the shackles on us sooner or later.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
Yeah, I never peed myself for some reason. I guess even if my brain couldn't tell if I was in a bathroom or not it still remembered potty training from two years old - at least try to go to the bathroom outside of my pants. Woo-hoo!
Nothing like waking up to realize you've "wet the bed." Lovely memories.