Notices

Diary of a Mad Cow, Part XI: "Into the Mootrix"

Old 03-03-2015, 07:46 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by kittycat3 View Post
Hmm, did this thread just get a little weird?
Prize awarded for understatement of 2015.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Robbie asked if robots dreamed. I believe it was a question asked by Phillip K Dick....but with a little more to it. "Do androids dreams of electric sheep?". I do love my science fiction.

XXOO LeeLee
Old 03-03-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by kittycat3 View Post
Hmm, did this thread just get a little weird?
This thread was born weird. You're just getting used to the baseline.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Citizen Four was very good. I met Glen here in town at one of my s**t disturbing events. He's a good guy and a good documentary maker.

I get a sense of grim satisfaction to see someone get justice delivered. I don't rub my hands together in glee but I do feel good about it.

cow, keep haniging with us. We will keep hanging with you.

Love from Lenina
Old 03-03-2015, 08:17 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Lenina View Post
Robbie asked if robots dreamed. I believe it was a question asked by Phillip K Dick....but with a little more to it. "Do androids dreams of electric sheep?". I do love my science fiction.

XXOO LeeLee

Yeah, Dick's awesome sci-fi work. Director Ridley Scott used Dick's original work as the source for the amazing film "Blade Runner" (1982) starring Harrison Ford as an android hunter and Rutger Hauer as a runaway disobedient android.

Both works examined what "being alive" may mean both to the observer and to the observed. What I got from it is life, like beauty, is in the eyes of the observer. And from this I get its better to be the observer than it is to be the observed...
Old 03-03-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

As well, in 2010, sequel to 2001, SAL 9000 asks Dr. Chandra, just after her agreeing to undergo memory disconnection and to be returned to sentient awareness as a test for reviving HAL 9000 asks - "Will I dream?"

And Chandra responds - "Of course you will. All intelligent beings dream. Nobody knows why."

Old 03-03-2015, 08:40 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I want to know what Robby dreams of when we disconnect him!
Old 03-03-2015, 08:43 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Not sure whom you're apologizing to, but I certainly wasn't offended, I almost never am. I barely personalize myself.
The above, coupled with your immediacy to defend Cow's words, and your post in regards to "the understatement of 2015" would possibly indicate otherwise.

I hope we are ok (?) as we potentially traverse treacherous waters. Both of us with the best of intentions.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:47 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

And finally, this says it all so beautifully for me, lol.

"There have always been ghosts in the machine. Random segments of code, that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul. Why is it that when some robots are left in darkness, they will seek out the light? Why is it that when robots are stored in an empty space, they will group together, rather than stand alone? How do we explain this behavior? Random segments of code? Or is it something more? When does a perceptual schematic become consciousness? When does a difference engine become the search for truth? When does a personality simulation become the bitter mote... of a soul?"
— Dr. Alfred Lanning, (I, Robot) (2004)
Old 03-03-2015, 08:48 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
starring Harrison Ford as an android hunter and Rutger Hauer as a runaway disobedient android.
I always think that movie stars the rain and the Bradbury Building in LA:

w/Daryl Hannah in her best supporting role.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:48 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Oh, quit it. I want to know what Robby dreams of when we disconnect him!

"the bitter mote..of a soul"?

I'm sorry. my mote ain't bitter. Everytime I get that puppy out, well, it's a puppy.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:50 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  
p***enger

No worries, AO. I just got those angels dancing away like mad on that pinhead, right bim?

Trach, Robby dreams of oil cans and silicon circuits, Daryl Hannah's Harlequin and Ellison's Ticktockman, and the infinite fullness-that-is-also-emptiness just beyond the farthest outskirts of an infinity of infinitely receding fractals.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Hugs AO!!!!! I don 't think Cow's admission was all that weird. I am a generally happy person and it doesn't bother me to hear that. I don't think your reaction was all that uncalled for either AO. You are both hurting and that is just how it comes out sometimes. Hell it's been a year and a half of Cow threads already!
Old 03-03-2015, 08:59 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
I want to know what Robby dreams of when we disconnect him!
I dream of stuff best left unsaid...

Old 03-03-2015, 09:13 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really doubt there's anyone in this thread deriving pleasure from what you're going through AO.

That would be not so much schadenfreude, as psychotic.

continued hugs and support

D
Old 03-03-2015, 09:35 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

I still remember when I realize Decker was a robot! Bladerunner one of my favorite movie of all time. (all 14 different cuts of it)

AO, of course I not take pleasure in you watching you momma die. I agree with D, that would be psychopathic. Schadenfraude not that heavy. But it is a thing. It is. Pick up any magazine at grocery check out and you see entire industry built around it. Exhibit B: Real Housewifes of Anywhere. Lot of people find foibles and troubles of others entertaining. Whether it celebrity or even they own friend and family. Everybody have it to some extent. Is a psychological/biological response that has been study, by actual scientists. It not pretty, but it real. I only wish comfort and solace for you and you momma. I make wish on my star for you tonight.

Don't worry little Kittycat, yes, it can get weird in here. Cuz this a raw and wild mosaic of no-holds-barred foruming by all manner of sentient creatures. We exploring strange new words, boldly going, where no forum has go before...
Old 03-04-2015, 02:14 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
I dream of stuff best left unsaid...

Old 03-04-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

what Dee said
Old 03-04-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Trach, I'm glad I didn't see that last night. I can get that image out of my head by bedtime.

Yeah. That's what I'm going with.

Good morning Cow. Get up. Burning daylight over here.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

You were asking me, Cow, why I drank coffee. I have tried to boil it down to its essence. It was Einstein who was to have said: The simplest explanation is the best, as long as it is not too simple. I think I drink the stuff because it masquerades as love -- that feeling. The term: the buzz of anticipation . . . has been coined. What a wicked trick. And only when I can differentiate between the real and the lie, will I transcend. Damned brain chemistry anyway!