Notices

Things looking up. Hopefully.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Matt M

Things looking up. Hopefully.

Well I threw a bit of a hissy fit and decided to stop posting on this place after a bit of a disagreement with a mod over what can and can't be posted, but although I disagree with the rule I have decided to respect the rule

Anyway, after almost 6 months being out of work (due to alcohol issues, seizures etc which I mentioned in a thread ages ago) I finally got a new job last week.
Had a three hour interview and pretty much as soon as I got home they had offered me the job.

It is a hell of a weight off my shoulders as if I hadn't got a job by the end of this month I'd have had to put my house up for rent and move back in with my parents.
I only moved in just under a year ago and I love it here. It's perfectly situated.
My Dad has had to pay the mortgage and bills for the past three month so after this month that would have been it.

The only slight concern I still have is about the references for the job.
I supplied the details of my former boss and former HR head, who both knew me very well and were very supportive throughout and after my alcohol issues.
I did check with HR a few months ago as I was at the job for 14 years and all interviewers ask "why did you leave your last job?".
HR told me that all they supply is your start date, job role and finish date. Apparently they don't say you were dismissed or why you were.

So when that question was asked in interviews I always just said more or less that I fancied a change and took a risk in leaving.

Despite being assured it won't effect things, I can't help but feeling a tad edgy about it :/
I've been offered the job and accepted it, done the background checks etc and start on 2nd February, but I tend to worry and create worry.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Glad things are looking up for you. I am pretty sure it is against the law to give more information than this for a reference.

I am sure a company got in trouble for asking for a full break down of sick days etc before so i am sure you have nothing to worry about.

i am glad it is going well for you and i wish you all the success in your new position.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best of luck with the new job Matt
D
Old 01-22-2015, 02:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, best of luck!
Old 01-22-2015, 02:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad things are on the up for you congrats !!!
Old 01-22-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats!! Woohoo @ starting new!
Old 01-22-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

Despite being assured it won't effect things, I can't help but feeling a tad edgy about it :/
I've been offered the job and accepted it, done the background checks etc and start on 2nd February, but I tend to worry and create worry.
if its not a problem at this moment leave it be. I know I'm pretty good at making up all sorts of dillusions to worry myself senseless over living all sorts of things I conjur up in my head as what if it plays out this way what if it plays out that way all while I'm doing this I'm missing out on anything good that could be happening at this present moment cause I'm there and not here in the now where reality is truly taking place.

I'd leave it alone don't scratch the itch try not to occupy your mind with it. if it becomes an issue tend to it at that time.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Matt M

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
if its not a problem at this moment leave it be. I know I'm pretty good at making up all sorts of dillusions to worry myself senseless over living all sorts of things I conjur up in my head as what if it plays out this way what if it plays out that way all while I'm doing this I'm missing out on anything good that could be happening at this present moment cause I'm there and not here in the now where reality is truly taking place.

I'd leave it alone don't scratch the itch try not to occupy your mind with it. if it becomes an issue tend to it at that time.

Yeah good advice. I was given a leaflet on avoiding anxious thinking by my relapse prevention councillor the other day actually!

I was the same as you, creating worry constantly.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the new job, Matt!!!!!