Notices

Business trip

Old 01-17-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Business trip

Hello,

I have to go on a business trip to meet my team and our executives at corporate headquarters. I have never met the team members but I have met my immediate boss previously. I work for a large corporation but I am not hundred percent sure on the social and alcohol policy or expectations. I have 18 months of sobriety and I am not going to drink. How do I handle this and do you all have any recommendations. I am fine with socializing but I rather only spend the required time out of courtesy. I do not want to linger in a cocktail lounge longer than I have too. Any advice or pointers?

Thanks,
Old 01-17-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nor do you have to or want to.
Business is business, get it done, move on.
If you meet at a restaraunt, bar or strip club, then get business done, eat your meal, drink your pop and leave.

Asian countries are more of a unique cricumstance, they almost expect you to drink as a social custom.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FNW
seeking acceptance

Remember that it is all business. Watch someone you respect and follow their lead. No drinking - just keep soda in your hand and you'll be find!
Old 01-17-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have to agree with the others. Its business. Eat, sip water (to keep calm) get the hell out. Business meetings are a tough one to maneuver. Good luck

btw...18 months is fabulous. Congrats!
Old 01-17-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The first sentence should be "I don't drink, I'll have a water" when asked what you're having!!

Keep it simple, people don't drink for religious or health reasons, and people respect that, so don't over stress the situation!!
Old 01-17-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Im 18 months & just say thanks but no thanks any coca cola ?
Old 01-17-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Im 18 months & just say thanks but no thanks any coca cola ?
Thanks but I'm not sure I want to or need to advertise that I'm 18 months. Not ready for my business organization to know that I have problem with alcohol. Not sure that it is the best approach. I think that's the whole problem. Is it appropriate to not drink at a business function with alcohol, in this heavily boozing society that I live in?
Old 01-17-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 18 months. I have been to many, many corporate functions where the booze was flowing.

I was sober at most of them and it is appropriate to not drink. I used to just say "no thanks" but I'd like....water, etc.

I'll tell you, the people that are drinking...once they start...they won't notice that you are not!
Old 01-17-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Yes, it's appropriate. If you have to, lie. "I'm driving/on antibiotics/promised my priest." Find the other people that aren't drinking. They're there. You just never noticed before.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zjw

sometimes I feel like I'm the only one in the room that isn't taking any of it seriously at all in those types of settings. While the powers at be talk shop and enjoy sounding important Im generally laughing at them or day dreaming about something else. I simply don't care. I had a family member visiting recently who also was taking his job (while he was on vacation) entirely too seriously work work work while he was suppost to be off. I thought again I guess my mom was right I truly do want to be peter pan.

The point is sometimes it helps to not take things so seriously. Don't make an issue out of something isn't. If they want to drink good for them have some sympathy for them? Laugh at there actions? Chuckle to yourself that you will wake up the following morning feeling great. Or try not to notice it at all. and when the time is right look at your watch and explain you have a wtvr in the morning and need to go turn in or what not.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tnman1967 View Post
Thanks but I'm not sure I want to or need to advertise that I'm 18 months. Not ready for my business organization to know that I have problem with alcohol. N
You don't have a problem with alcohol, you just DON'T DRINK, keep it simple!!

My mum hasn't drank in 60yrs and not due to any reason, it just was never her thing, and no one bats an eyelid when she has a coke!!
Old 01-17-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tnman1967 View Post
Thanks but I'm not sure I want to or need to advertise that I'm 18 months. Not ready for my business organization to know that I have problem with alcohol. Not sure that it is the best approach. I think that's the whole problem. Is it appropriate to not drink at a business function with alcohol, in this heavily boozing society that I live in?
I think Sober Wolf was trying to tell you he is also at 18 months and he just asks for a Coke. I truly believe those of us with drinking problems are the only ones who pay attention to drinking.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I deal with this a lot in my line of work if it's a cocktail hour or bar setting I ask for a club soda with a lime 2 straws....if its more intimate like a dinner or restaurant table I just order a soda. If Anyone brings it up and they will not.... I just say it messes with my thyroid medication.... Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

TNyman, I have a business trip this week also. Tuesday night will be a dinner. Last time I was out with these folks, hardly anyone drank. No one batted an eye when I ordered water. I think we alcoholics think everyone else cares what we drink. So far, I haven't found anyone who seems concerned that I don't drink. You might be surprised at the lack of reaction. However, if people really want to know why you're not drinking - I would use the"medication" line.

Best of luck to you!
Old 01-18-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Do your business and put you go. There will be some who drink like we used to and still others who probably don't. If anyone asks, and someone may, make a quip (I once said that I couldn't walk straight sober let alone drive straight after a couple of beers) or more serious ( I don't drink for my health or I'm training for such and such an event). The good thing is that you won't be dragging in the morning!
Old 01-20-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This post is a few days old, but I'm frequently in this situation. I'm expected to drink with customers and management. I have had to rely on excuses (I'm on medication for example) because reality is some people just don't understand abstainers. I had a boss who used to tell us "I don't trust people who don't drink." so while many many people here will tell you we are over sensitive and people don't care if you don't drink, I have seen otherwise in certain situations. That being said, "I don't drink" or "no thanks" have not been good enough in my business situations. I have used "I'm on medication" (true) or "I'm training" or "I'm cutting out calories ".
Old 01-20-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks, yes I agree, different culture in different companies. Sounds like you are in a very peculiar spot. Not sure I could handle it on a frequent basis.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

So how did it go, or how is it going?
Old 01-24-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm curious too. Hope it went very well.