Notices

Hangovers plus boredom equals addiction

Old 01-17-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by carlingford View Post
it is not an overnight process, but well worth the journey

I like that, day 16 and struggling, quotes like that make me feel good, have to soldier on.... Thanks Alwyshope
Are you using or did you use any medications to help you?

Congrats on day 16!! :-)

Hope I'm not intruding, but may I ask how much you drank before you got sober?
Old 01-17-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks for message letsbefriends, no not using now as in Saudi Arabia and none here anyway, public flogging and jail and fine etc. if caught with alcohol here.

I had some benzodine (Librium)hidden away from my last detox which I didn't finish and stocked up with Vitamin B TABLETS AND thiamine Tablets and mult vitamins as well. The fist week was tuff especially starting a new job, phew, but I got through it.

Before I got sober I was an everyday drinker, well most days when I had the money, normally 3-4 pints of Guinness a day and double that at weekends, I am 53 next week and started to notice the withdrawal symptom's if I didn't have a drink , problems sleeping, headaches, shakes in tummy and legs, dizzy spells and memory problems. I never touched whiskey or vodka or hard liquor, I suppose it was the long term regularity that caused my addiction/disease. I don't resent my current demise as I am detoxing where there is no temptation, good food and can exercise a little, but not enough as desk bound. I hope this answers your question and hope you get my reply as blocks on internet here and not supposed to be on sites like this talk soon keep in touch ...bye for now
Old 01-17-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by carlingford View Post
Thanks for message letsbefriends, no not using now as in Saudi Arabia and none here anyway, public flogging and jail and fine etc. if caught with alcohol here.

I had some benzodine (Librium)hidden away from my last detox which I didn't finish and stocked up with Vitamin B TABLETS AND thiamine Tablets and mult vitamins as well. The fist week was tuff especially starting a new job, phew, but I got through it.

Before I got sober I was an everyday drinker, well most days when I had the money, normally 3-4 pints of Guinness a day and double that at weekends, I am 53 next week and started to notice the withdrawal symptom's if I didn't have a drink , problems sleeping, headaches, shakes in tummy and legs, dizzy spells and memory problems. I never touched whiskey or vodka or hard liquor, I suppose it was the long term regularity that caused my addiction/disease. I don't resent my current demise as I am detoxing where there is no temptation, good food and can exercise a little, but not enough as desk bound. I hope this answers your question and hope you get my reply as blocks on internet here and not supposed to be on sites like this talk soon keep in touch ...bye for now
At least you had a few supplements. Better than nothing I guess. Physical exercise always helps! It can be a life saver at times.

Ouch, I can hardly imagine being an addict in Saudi Arabia. What a challenge. I wish you the best my friend. Be careful down there!
Old 01-17-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

"Hangovers plus boredom equals addiction"
Ok if you say so.
But no, many people blame boredom for their use of substances.
Boredom in fact has nothing to do with addiction at all.
I would say that fear of bad hangovers kept me sober for a year.
Puking kept me sober for awhile.
I would literally have 2 day hangovers waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day.
I would be knocked out for those 2 days while I tried to sober up.
I felt like a P.O.S.
I felt worthless.
I felt I felt I felt
Old 01-17-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by markz View Post
"Hangovers plus boredom equals addiction"
Ok if you say so.
But no, many people blame boredom for their use of substances.
Boredom in fact has nothing to do with addiction at all.
I would say that fear of bad hangovers kept me sober for a year.
Puking kept me sober for awhile.
I would literally have 2 day hangovers waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day.
I would be knocked out for those 2 days while I tried to sober up.
I felt like a P.O.S.
I felt worthless.
I felt I felt I felt
That's your experience. Alcohol seems to affect people in so many different ways, especially hangover wise. I never puke for example. The fear of a hangover keeps me drinking. I guess we're quite opposite. Boredom and addiction goes hand in hand to my experience. I have a few friends who recognize the same patterns even though they use other substances than alcohol. I don't crave alcohol as much as some alcoholics. I crave entertainment. I have a very busy mind. I can keep myself occupied without alcohol, but whenever there's nothing to occupy myself with I start drinking.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

If you're in a good mood, just gently pass by. No point reading further.

I tried 40 mg diazepam yesterday. Had zero effect. I'm too tolerant. I can't quit drinking without some serious medication/hospital stay.

I had a bottle of vodka, 6 beers and a bottle of wine yesterday all while being semi sober. I was able to socialize on Skype with friends without them knowing or noticing I was drunk. They would tell me if they noticed. They like to have a couple of beers or a whisky every now and then while sitting by the PC, so it's not a taboo. Some of them go out binge drinking during weekends like every other fool here in this god forsaken country of Denmark. The Happiest Country on Earth. Thank you British journalism for giving this country that awful title for what now, 10 years in a row?

Sorry for rant. I'm feeling awful. Nauseaus, Shaky. Tired. Doubtful. Anxious. Angry. Wierd. Ashamed. Weak. ... ... I could go on and on.

How much more can my liver manage?? Does anyone know the timeline? I have a strong liver, that's all I know. Last tests while I was drinking my liver barely showed any signs of drinking. In other words when will I die?? In 2 months? 2 years? 10 years? When does the serious cirrhosis hit me? I've only had a 1 month binge at the moment after a 2 month break, but I fear this one is serious. Serious as death himself.

Sorry, nobody should be reading this.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

What do you think is stopping you from doing something about your current situation letsbefriends?

D
Old 01-30-2015, 12:20 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

went to my doc and presented her with a diazepam detox plan. she went with it. 7 days sober now!
Old 01-30-2015, 01:16 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I used to point fingers at this that and the other.
Fact is there are 3 fingers pointing back at me!
Thats where the blame is!
Old 02-21-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
What do you think is stopping you from doing something about your current situation letsbefriends?

D
nothing. I've been sober for 5 weeks now. I do suffer from nasty unspecified anxiety though, so at least that is what brings me down at times.

Originally Posted by Markz
I used to point fingers at this that and the other.
Fact is there are 3 fingers pointing back at me!
Thats where the blame is!
I don't blame anyone or anything but myself.

Good luck to everyone reading this. I'm done for now with alcohol.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on your 5 weeks

D
Old 02-21-2015, 08:19 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Wow that's fantastic Letsbefriends, well done and keep it up, yes I get the anxiety bit too!! started campral as cravings comes and goes still at 52 days clean, so too early to say if any effect. Not too worried about it at this stage as I have resigned myself that I will not drink again and friends around me when home from Saudi were initially surprised but didn't pass any judgment. I have no choice but to remain clean, its a one way ticket to the grave if I start again. Best of Luck and well done again.