Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Diary of a Mad Cow, Part X: "The Adventures of Sober Cow"

Notices

Diary of a Mad Cow, Part X: "The Adventures of Sober Cow"

Old 01-03-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Omnivore

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
I am upset with y'all's insensitivity
ROTFLMAO! Turtle you are too much!
Old 01-03-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Really? Really?
Old 01-03-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
I am upset with y'all's insensitivity
At least you aren't soup
Old 01-03-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone;

I wanted to get rolling with making some life rules conscious and maybe get some feedback / suggestions if y'all don't mind.

Some of my most telling "rules to live by" surround conflict in relationships.

I grew up with plenty of yelling, things being smashed, big escalations and tantrums from alcoholic mother which often were not fair and blaming.

So one rule I have is 1) the need to "justify" my anger and debate it out to the nth degree to prove it is legitimate.

Another rule I have is 2)I also hate raised voices and disagreement even if justified. I try to "talk things out" most of the time on the other hand, when I do get mad I'm a ruthless berserker.

Rule 3) relates to this in that I feel if people push me over the line they have "earned" the blow-up since they wouldn't listen to reason, from my point of view, although I will put down the weapons if someone waves a white flag most of time.

Often I am very fair in conflicts to the point of too fair. Another "rule" 4) is to put myself in someone else' shoes even to my own detriment when angry at someone. My shrink once commented on how she had never heard someone spend so much time seeing "the other side" of the conflict when meeting one-on-one with their therapist.

Finally "rule" 5) for me is that disagreements must be patched up pretty quick--no days of torture and silent treatment. Again, this one is a result of receiving days of anger and silent treatment and that being used as yet another excuse to drink by my mother.

All of these things came from my childhood and I've brought the emotional response forward pretty much intact from my childhood trauma.

Do these serve me as an adult? Not always. The fairness thing is good but I really think overall I'm still awfully controlling in disagreements. They make me uncomfortable and nervous, but people in my life should be able to disagree without dealing with that I think.

Cow, has your therapist got any suggestions for how to change rules or revise them?
Old 01-03-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

There's soup? Can I have some oyster crackers with that?

Hope everyone is having an OK day at the very least.

Love from Lenina
Old 01-03-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Not-so-crappy New Year Cow. Great to hear from you.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Guinea Pig, can you bring the salad? Soup's on, I hear.

Actually, I did start a pot of soup this afternoon. So far, it's chicken broth with pinto beans, black eyes and some white ones. garlic and chopped onions. I have some carrots, celery and potatoes to toss in later. And tomatoes.

Strange times we live in.

Good news to start my new year. I have seven years sober, four years smoke free. This is a treasure.

Love from Lenina
Old 01-03-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your seven and four Lenina;

You are more than sober--I'd say you are pretty darn well recovered and have
shaken off the corpse-dust of a crappy childhood better than most of us.

You also sound like a great cook who likes to eat, which is worth a lot in
my book--I'm a fine trencherwoman in my own right as well.

Wish we could have a potluck at your place.

We'd need trach as a guest for sure--either as main chef or main course. . . (evil laugh with wink)
Old 01-03-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Hawk, you rules contradict and is confusing, so I can see would make difficult your relationships. Therapist and I only at point where we identifying whatever rules I already operating under, then I sure her plan is to unravel ones that not work for me and start to construct (from scratch out of nothing!) healthy directives to guide my living. I pretty skeptical, cuz thing like value and directives if not already inherent within me, I not see how we make them inherent within me. But not impossible I guess. One thing is, it not can be like play acting. Or military, like, okay, my policies gonna be A, B, and C! Already do too much faking it every day. Somehow I has to create motivations I really FEEL.

Hi Guinea Pig, very nice to see you! You still on you wagon?
Old 01-03-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hi, Cow & all,

I've been sorta stalking, er, following these threads for a while but kinda was waiting for a place to jump in. Hawkeye's rules I found interesting, because I have similar "rules" around conflict. Although I argue for a living (lawyer, no rock-throwing, please), and although I LOVED to argue things to DEATH as a kid (my dad told me when I was five that I should be a lawyer just so I'd get paid for it), as an adult I HATE conflict/confrontations with others.

In a professional setting, not a problem. I'm very good at what I do, quite a successful advocate. Intimidating lawyers or judges I can handle without difficulty. But conflict with peers, bosses, co-workers, friends, even family at this point, just makes me want to do whatever I need to, to smooth it over.

The odd thing is that my family was very non-confrontational. I mean, we had the usual parent-child arguments, my brother and I could fight like cats and dogs, but it was generally over trivial stuff, no huge fights with doors slamming, stuff thrown, verbal abuse, door-slamming, etc. No longstanding grudges, even in the extended family.

And even my relationships with my alcoholic partners weren't particularly fraught with anger/fighting (relative to how many such relationships go). So I'm not quite sure where it comes from--this aversion to/fear of conflict and confrontation. I do think I learned along the line to be a people-pleaser, so maybe that's all it is.

On the one hand, I'm pretty flexible and easy to be around. On the other, though, I swallow a lot of stuff that probably should be resolved.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Cow,
"construct healthy directives to guide my living" sounds suspiciously like adopting a set of principles to practice/live by.
which is exactly what i've decided to do.
i do not think i need to FEEL them, or that i'm play-acting if i don't FEEL them, but that i've looked at the principles and given my agreement that living by them would likely give me a "better" life.
the idea is, i think, that you will apply principles you have previously decided on/assented to instead of acting on the best idea of the moment at any given moment.

the best idea of the moment hasn't always worked out so well for those of us finding ourselves on a forum like this
Old 01-03-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Star of my own reality show: Cooking with the Cannibals! Main chef or Main course?
Old 01-03-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Lenina,
happy to read of your anniversaries. congratulations!
Old 01-03-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

hawkeye,

I am Proof that folks can get and stay sober!

I feel pretty stable most of the time. Today I can rise to the occasion when it gets dicey. I like what you had to say about the dust from childhood trauma/drama. I still have what I call Vampire Breakouts. Stuff that I think I have thoroughly and totally dealt with from back in the day will suddenly Rise Up and suck the life out of me all over again. Gak. Where do I get that Silver Stake?

And I would be happy to share a trencher with you any day! I don't get to cook much, I don't have a very good kitchen. I am a very good eater.

((((turtle))). Can I get some crotons? I like that! Chef to the Cannibals! It must be said in a full-on Tessessee Williams accent, please.

Love from Lenina
Old 01-03-2015, 08:24 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Cow, it sounds like an interesting exercise that your therapist is having you do. I don't think she's wanting you to make up rules. I think she wants to identify rules that you live by so you can identify what is working and what is not working for you. If you are feeling like you're faking through things, that's not a rule you can live by. Maybe you can identify rules you are living by that aren't working for you as well, unless your therapist advised against that.
In the meantime, it's given me something to think about in terms of my own life too.

Trach-your idea has already been scooped (sort of).
Old 01-04-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I just joking with you trach--
you look so hot in that olive-tinted carapace
it is simply impossible to refrain
Old 01-04-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Speaking of soup, I need to start pot of soup for lunches next week. I think it will be gumbo again.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Have you done any gumbo with turkey trach?

One of my favorites is smoked sausage and turkey "base"

Make a really dark chocolate brown rue with the usual veggies and finish off with grilled shrimp on top.

What's your favorite gumbo?
Old 01-04-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I've got turkey bones in the freezer for stock.

The restaurant across the street makes a good dark seafood gumbo. My favorite is the quick white chicken gumbo I learned from my last wife's cajun grandmother. Just chicken stock, canned chicken and frozen gumbo veg. Served with rice. It's ready in an hour.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I'm on and off wagon Cow. One day at a time and some days I don't make it.