Notices

What happens after cirhossis?

Old 12-22-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What happens after cirhossis?

Assuming 1 completely turns their life around, doesn't drink and lives an overall healthy lifestyle? I'm just curious and was thinking about that today? Do you just sit back and wait on a liver transplant which I hear is hard to get anyway. Do you just slowly deteriorate over time? Possible liver cancer?

I was just thinking to myself today. I know people that have cirhossi are prob. the last to stop drinking but if someone was diagnosed today with it and never drank again. Just curious. No, to my knowledge, I do not have this.

And no i am not asking for medical advice. I am sure this has happened before but everything you read, cirhossis is the point to where the end is near.

Back in the day, when my jackass Dr. thought I had cirhossis based off of physical exam. had blood tests and MRI, he said everything was normal except slightly elevated bilirubin...But I also remember about cirhossis, his exact words were "its not exactly a death sentence"
Old 12-22-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Some people who are truly diagnosed with it die, while others probably do recover. I personally know people who have died from it. Whats most important to me is that if I stay sober, I have a very good chance of not getting it.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

The liver is the only organ that can regenerate itself if the damage hasn't gone too far. If more of the liver is healthy than is cirrhotic, the patient will likely be okay if they completely stop drinking. If the liver is more cirrhotic than it is healthy, then probably not, unless they can get a transplant.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Had a friend die it a few years ago. Just didn't want to stop and that was it.

Another was warned after he went to the hospital with abdominal pain that, as bad as his liver was getting, if he kept drinking at all he was a dead man. Sobered him up right on the spot.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The liver is a great piece of kit, sometimes it can regenerate, but sometimes it doesn't!!

But why take that risk??
Old 12-22-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Some people who are truly diagnosed with it die, while others probably do recover. I personally know people who have died from it. Whats most important to me is that if I stay sober, I have a very good chance of not getting it.
This
Old 12-22-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Do you have it? Geez, I hope not
Old 12-22-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Some people who are truly diagnosed with it die, while others probably do recover..
I was blessed to get to know a man that found it damaged his liver severely, got sober, and lived 27 more years.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

dup post!
Old 12-22-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My cousin passed away earlier this year from cirrhosis. I managed to say my goodbyes to him during his last hours at the hospital. Based on the weeks leading up to his death, it was slow and very painful way to spend his last days. Luckily, the hospice area at SF General was top notch. They treated him with dignity and respect.

Bottom line is, I want to avoid cirrhosis at all costs.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SarahB60 View Post
My cousin passed away earlier this year from cirrhosis. I managed to say my goodbyes to him during his last hours at the hospital. Based on the weeks leading up to his death, it was slow and very painful way to spend his last days. Luckily, the hospice area at SF General was top notch. They treated him with dignity and respect.

Bottom line is, I want to avoid cirrhosis at all costs.

Yeah, that is pretty how it was with my father. He basically got to the point where he couldnt stand. Called ambulance, he was admitted into hospital, next thing I know he was on hospice and prob. died a couple weeks later.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

My father was a proud man. He spent the last year of his life bedridden and wouldn't go to the hospital because he didn't want the neighbors to know. He was so swollen it looked like his skin would bust open any minute, his skin and eyes were bright yellow, he couldn't keep anything down except diluted jello.

When he went into a coma, my step-mom finally called an ambulance. He died in the hospital about 4 days later. He was 58 years old; the age I am now. I am sober a little over 6 years. I don't want to die like that.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Cirrhosis has been my ultimate fear lately, as I have a history of liver problems. I had a couple of doctors and a nurse tell me just yesterday and this morning that there are "no indications" of liver issues, but that my liver enzyme levels were quite high.

Basically cirrhosis is the threshold you cross before your liver can 100% recover. Depending on the severity of the disease (the damage can vary, and worsens if drinking continues), you can continue to live. Abstaining from alcohol, not using Tylenol, avoiding too much sodium, and staying on a nutritious diet are all important.

I met someone recently who has cirrhosis and you wouldn't necessarily guess just by seeing him or talking to him. He was quite young. I suppose he was in denial and decided to drink again a few times, and ended up with more detox visits. He's in AA now. I once saw a YouTube video, however, that illustrated just how bad liver damage can get. Vomiting anything you try to eat or drink (even water sometimes), can't get out of bed, can't take care of yourself, weakness, lethargy, and finally death.

We all metabolize alcohol (and everything else) differently. Some people can drink constantly for even decades and find themselves with a fatty liver that can recover. For others, like myself, it can take merely a few years before things can get much worse.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I stopped drinking because of this very reason. We just can't drink anymore. I remember a thread on here awhile back from a credible source who had an uncle who lived with cirrhosis for many years with complete abstinence. I think up to his 80's.

My plan for me? No drinking. NO cirrhosis.

I just couldn't take part in the sick circus anymore. I worried everyday about my liver. Every day like a huge weight around my ankle. I got close too. Was diagnosed with inflammation. I HAD TO STOP.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is fatal insidious disease. Its poison in a pretty wrapper. We know personally how it kills us. Yet people won't stop till death. I hate alcoholism and everything it does to us. Its a monster. Nothing but a monster.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here and posting!
A friend advised me to stop having conversations with people who were not there - usually worst case projections that never come true.

Keep coming back!