Notices

Early Sobriety: Night sweats & racing heart

Old 12-22-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Early Sobriety: Night sweats & racing heart

Sorry I feel like the queen of early sobriety complaints

Since detox, I've had 3 episodes of waking up in mid sleep with a racing heart (gee just like the old days of wine drinking...) and I'm sweaty as heck. I pad off to the bathroom and my racing heart turns into a panic attack/rapid heart rate. I need ice and a sliver of xanax to calm myself down. Is my brain reliving the old days? Is this PAWS? I had a rough time yesterday with anxiety and fatigue, now this again. Also, I don't think this is female related issues, since those days are long gone.

I just went to the Dr and I'm in good health. I see a cardiologist in two weeks just in case, but I know I'm fine.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're doing the right thing by going to the doctor.

It's difficult for us all I go through. I had terrible time sleeping in my first 2weeks of sobriety. It does get better, but it is going to take time.

Stay strong, and resist the urge to drink, over time it will get easier and easier
Old 12-22-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by SarahB60 View Post
Is my brain reliving the old days? Is this PAWS?
Sounds like plain old anxiety. Common enough in early recovery. You might want to speak to your doctor about it.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, sounds like anxiety. I suggest slow breathing, which slows the mind down: take four slow breaths in, hold your breath for four, exhale to the count of four. It does get better, I promise! And xanax can lead right back to addiction so I suggest skipping it.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

It could be anxiety or if you are in your 40s it could be peri menopause.

oops just saw your last line about the long gone days)
Old 12-22-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Go back to your doctor explain whats happening
Old 12-22-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That is normal withdrawal after quitting. I think it took me a few weeks to sleep decent, and even now, ever so often it is hard to sleep. The heart racing was what really irritated me the most, because i would be even wake up mis-sleep with my heart racing. It was kinda scary and very exhausting to go through, but that is what alcohol does...it changes how you work physically. The only solution and way to make it stop is to just never drink again. And after those withdrawals, i can honestly say it isn't even a temptation anymore. If i wanted to feel that miserable and sick, i would rather let someone with the flu cough on me. At least i know it will go away. lol

goodluck and Godbless. keep strong!
Old 12-22-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hello sarah

yea i think you did the right thing seeing your doctor.
i used to get alot of emotions too after i stopped. the most i thought about it, the more i race as you say. but like alot of people above said in one way or another is that going back is not the way. i am sure we all learned that a time or to. i dont know how many times i just went back and not fight it. then i will start all over again.
i am glad you here and nice to meet you
Old 12-22-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hello sarah

yea i think you did the right thing seeing your doctor.
i used to get alot of emotions too after i stopped. the most i thought about it, the more i race as you say. but like alot of people above said in one way or another is that going back is not the way. i am sure we all learned that a time or to. i dont know how many times i just went back and not fight it. then i will start all over again.
i am glad you here and nice to meet you
Old 12-22-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm praying for you!!!
Old 12-22-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

OMG! Talk about panic attacks. My sponsor had me go for a check up, got into some counseling. I remember calling my sponsor after returning home from a meeting with her, making a call and her coming over to sit with me. Could not go to the store or anything alone as I kept having panic attacks and passing out. I just knew the whole world knew what a horrible drunk I had become. Girls sat with me, walked with me, picked me up when I was down. Got through it all and didn't pick up a drink or drug. You can do it also. Do what your sponsor says and attend a meeting every day. Talk to other women before and after meetings. Don't drop your problems at the meeting. Meetings are for you to learn how to stay sober. Good luck and God Bless.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Matt M

I had three nights of ZERO sleep when I last quit. It was horrible.
Everytime I shut my eyes my mind just raced with image after image of the most bizarre, random and disturbing things.

I honestly thought I'd never sleep again but it does get better after a few days.
Always safer to see your doctor tho.